• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

VSG Review/Questions

jimmythesaint

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum for this - I'm still getting the hang of this site.

So last night, after the wife and kids retired, I sat out on the patio with an Ashton VSG Torpedo. I'm very new to this whole scene, so I am still in the habit of approaching cigars like I do wine or scotch; appearance, scent, flavor, and experience (in that rough order).

Appearance - a pretty dark cigar. The wrapper had two very thick veins - one near the cap, the other running midway through the stick.

Scent - Beautiful. In my mind, this is what a cigar should smell like. Smoky vanilla...reminded me in some ways of what Lagavulin 16 yr smells like.

Flavor - the first 3/4th inch or so was very light, but it picked up steam about an inch in and got rolling with some fantastic dark chocolate/leather/coffee flavors.

Experience - took me 2 hours to smoke this, and I never sat it down. The draw was very smooth and easy, the flavors were great, and sitting out on the patio under the stars in complete peace and quiet was very relaxing.

Now, for some negatives, and some questions.

1 - As I mentioned, the wrapper had some really thick veins. All along those veins, I had trouble with the burn. The first vein, I used a match to even things out a bit. The second vein, out of curiosity, I left alone and it simply didn't burn. In fact, the thickest part of the vein was still unburnt and is still hooked onto the ash now. The cigar just burned around it and moved on.

So that begs the question - is this my fault? Or better yet, how can I prevent/handle this? should I mess with the burns in situations like that, or just let it go?

2 - The first 3 quarters of this cigar were tremendous, a great experience, burn problems aside. The last quarter was like a steamroller. I could not believe how strong it seemed to get. By the time I was done, I had a healthy buzz. Is this typical of the VSG?

I do not have the cash to smoke these every day. What is there that gives comparable flavors/structure that is more reasonable price-wise? My other favorite smokes have been a La Gloria Cubana Serie R #5, and a Padron 1964 diplomatico (which was outrageously good in my uneducated opinion - had a 'baking spices' thing going on that reminded me of some good Rhone wines).

Thanks for the responses in advance, I appreciate it.

Good review. I am fan of the VSG. Can't put my finger on a specific size, they have all been kind to me. Keep it up!!

Next time, post in the cigar reviews sections/what ya been smoking. Just a few threads down from this one. No worries I did the same thing awhile back.

Nice review, Jimmy - I haven't smoked many of the Ashton line so your comments were interesting to me. I'll echo your comments on the Padron, though...one of my favorite smokes. 64's and 26's are special cigars that I always look forward to. Always a great smoke, never had one that let me down.

Shane's comment is correct, but it's not a big deal. We'll look forward to more of your reviews.

Cheers - B.B.S.

Good review!

The VSG is a great line with some great flavors. I've only had a few and enjoyed them.
The burn problem could be that the cigar didn't have any age on it. I've found smokes with a year or better at 65% seem to burn very well.

You like VSGs and Padron annys, looks like you'll be getting a second job to support your expensive taste buds.
:D

Well done Jimmy, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I have a love/hate relationship with the VSG line. For a while they were a go to favorite for me but early this year they started to become so hit and miss that I put them in the back of the humi for some rest and a revisit at a later time. Sometime this fall I plan to give em another shot and see whats what.

Ashton VSG MRSP & Info

As for your burn problems, the issue is moisture -- and it's certainly possible that a thick vein could retain more moisture than the rest of the wrapper.

Thanks for the review. The VSG Torpedo is my favorite smoke. I have had a couple with burn issues when I first found them, but since, I have been smoking them a little drier (64 -65%). I am not a big time smoker, 4-5 a week, but I still get a slight buzz out of these.

Ken

Next to the Monty 2 the VSG is my favorite even more so than an Opus especially considering the price difference. It also kicked my but the first time also but when I aged it 6 + months it was much better and smoother! I have them at 70% and they burn perfect for me and can't wait until some hit a year. I went through the same process asking what might be similar but cheaper cigar and was given a La Flor maduro (name escapes me but it has a no cut point) and it was pretty good for a few dollars less.