• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

WA State consideres allowing smoking in cigar stores

It always seemed silly to me that we cannot smoke in an establishment whose primary source of revenue is tobacco. I would think the whole "second-hand smoke" argument would be hard to justify, since the establishment is clearly there for people to buy something to smoke.

Thanks for the heads-up. :thumbs:

Those fees seem in line with what businesses pay for liquor licenses. Though I agree that they seem excessive and I'm not sure what the justification is.

Would be nice to smoke in the stores as long as they had a lounge area. I don't think standing there smoking in isles of cigars would make too much sense.

Not the best solution, but I've always wondered why it isn't treated like liquor licenses in more cases. Bars, restaurants, cigar lounges, etc. If you want to allow smoking, you buy a license just like you do with liquor.

Not the best solution, but I've always wondered why it isn't treated like liquor licenses in more cases. Bars, restaurants, cigar lounges, etc. If you want to allow smoking, you buy a license just like you do with liquor.

I will disagree. Tobacco and Alcohol is two different beasts. Someone sitting in a cigar shop takes responsibilities for one's action. If others are smoking, you openly consent to that risk by staying there inhaling the extra smoke. On the other side you are driving home and get hit by someone that had been drinking. Either they was coming from a party, bar, making a last minute run for more booze or just a couple glasses of whatever alcohol they consumed over dinner. They hit you. You do not give consent for them to plow into you. Doesn't matter if they was under the legal limit or over in my eyes.

Yes its on the extreme side but when you have a liquor license, these situations do happen unfortunately. The last time I checked I haven't seen a cigar smoker plow into another innocent victim sitting in a cigar shop smoking. :p

I'm not trying to make it a political topic. I worked in a Biker Bar-Family restaurant busing tables so I understood the risks from working in a smoking environment as a teenager. Thus I see the fee as being outrageous.

$15,000 a year :0. Just another big tax ripoff by the government.
A small B&M isn't going to be able to afford to pay this "fee" every year without charging their customers a yearly membership "fee" to smoke in the lounge in order to cover this tax. End result, you get the ole bend over from the state.

$15,000 a year :0. Just another big tax ripoff by the government.
A small B&M isn't going to be able to afford to pay this "fee" every year without charging their customers a yearly membership "fee" to smoke in the lounge in order to cover this tax. End result, you get the ole bend over from the state.

Or jack up the prices of their smokes a few (or more) cents each stick. I have no idea the volume some of these local shops go through, but that could be pricey even for high-volume dealers. I would guess my LCS sells ~100 cigars a day. That's 36,500 a year. So that would be nearly .50 a stick!!

Though, maybe they sell way more or less than that, IDK ???