• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

WANTED: FOG LE 2015 Newbie Pass Reserva Selecta -

Spad31

Previously, on Battlestar Galactica...
Heyo Wise Elders,
 I know a pass has been completed recently for n00bs...

Any hope of one of you starting another anytime soon?

I'm hoping to get a few more of us (namely ME! :p ) a little experience in participating/hosting/running/managing a pass, etc.

Please?

-Trey

Oh, dammit. How do I change the title spelling? *facepalm*

I was wondering what was up with that....it sounded a bit hairy.

Slick300 said:
Ha! Yes. I'm embarrassed to admit, I'm going in circles trying to edit that part...

tomthirtysix said:

Ha! Yes. I'm embarrassed to admit, I'm going in circles trying to edit that part...

There's an edit tutorial here:  http://goo.gl/Dfgd1

Son of a bitch. I clicked it. Sigh. I knew better, but I did anyway.

You're getting coal for SS from me.

*shakes tiny fist*

I would be in for a pass, it's been awhile.

Trey,

Your post is a bit confusing. You asked for a newbie pass and then to gain experience hosting and managing...

Are you looking for a lower cigar quality/ newbie pass to gain experience with participation and have someone else run it?
Are you looking to run the pass yourself and gain experience hosting (with an experienced mentor)?

BigJake6904 said:
Trey,

Your post is a bit confusing. You asked for a newbie pass and then to gain experience hosting and managing...

Are you looking for a lower cigar quality/ newbie pass to gain experience with participation and have someone else run it?
Are you looking to run the pass yourself and gain experience hosting (with an experienced mentor)?
Hey Jake...great question...When I posted that, I had been very gung-ho to jump in and try to host one, with a VERY small, limited group of participants. That desire led me to inquire privately to a few FOGS I'd seen in then-recent posts. The basic consensus was join one first, learn HOW to host one, then pull the trigger. After reading some more and calming my impulses a little, I posted the above. I guess the not so simple answer is I'm looking for both? I'll wait for another newbie pass, of course, but wouldn't mind trying my hand (with pre-acknowledged stumble potential) hosting one. My goal would be for a half-dozen of us or so to do a pass around about a half-dozen sticks or so, learn the up and downsides and myriad details, and keep it short and quick just to get some air under our wings. If a FOG (are you perchance volunteering?!) wanted to be the official host, that would be great. I'd love to be a sort of "second" with the goal of learning to host. If not, and I'm not in a giant hurry here, I'd do it with a good FOG in the background to help me keep the vector straight. I'm a fan of the KISS principle...I wouldn't want any long-lasting hurt feelings or bad vibes to come as a result of inevitable miscommunications or, worst case, the whole thing craters and we pick up the pieces. Seems simple, but the road to Hell, you know...

Anyway, long answer to a couple short questions. Did I answer you with what you were looking for?

-Trey

Maybe in the Fall. Spring & Summer are a tough time to run a Pass for two reasons. One, most people are more active during this time of year. The delays caused by social events, vacations, and changing work schedules becomes overwhelming. And two, the hot weather is not conducive to mailing the Pass around the country. The excessive heat in general and especially in delivery trucks puts a strain on the cigars. Once the weather gets cooler, it becomes easier. Kids are back in school, life calms down, people spend more time home.

Having handled a few with Brian (Jonesy) as the Host, the two prime times for launch seem to be September and January. Even the September launch is tricky because if it runs too long, it then goes into the holiday season and once again, people get busy with family & friends around Thanksgiving & Christmas. Our last Pass, that we started last September, was put on hold and held at a member's house for over a month so we could get through the Holidays to then restart it after the New Year when the members were more readily available.

When you run a Pass, the primary function is to have fun for all those involved. When people get too busy, they seem rush through their PUTS & TAKES as to not hold up the Pass from moving along in a reasonable amount of time. This creates undue stress and takes away from it's primary purpose. We have also seen members drop out during the Pass just because of this.

This is all basic stuff. You may want to read a few of Brian's Newbie Pass threads from beginning to end to get familiar with the workings of one....which is how I learned. I followed a few of them as they traveled around the country. It's only by observing the day-to-day workings of the issue & questions that come up that really prepares you for participating in one...let alone Hosting one. Having participated in 14 Passes, I'm only now considering Hosting one.

Spad31 said:

Trey,

Hey Jake...great question...When I posted that, I had been very gung-ho to jump in and try to host one, with a VERY small, limited group of participants. That desire led me to inquire privately to a few FOGS I'd seen in then-recent posts. The basic consensus was join one first, learn HOW to host one, then pull the trigger. After reading some more and calming my impulses a little, I posted the above. I guess the not so simple answer is I'm looking for both? I'll wait for another newbie pass, of course, but wouldn't mind trying my hand (with pre-acknowledged stumble potential) hosting one. My goal would be for a half-dozen of us or so to do a pass around about a half-dozen sticks or so, learn the up and downsides and myriad details, and keep it short and quick just to get some air under our wings. If a FOG (are you perchance volunteering?!) wanted to be the official host, that would be great. I'd love to be a sort of "second" with the goal of learning to host. If not, and I'm not in a giant hurry here, I'd do it with a good FOG in the background to help me keep the vector straight. I'm a fan of the KISS principle...I wouldn't want any long-lasting hurt feelings or bad vibes to come as a result of inevitable miscommunications or, worst case, the whole thing craters and we pick up the pieces. Seems simple, but the road to Hell, you know...

Anyway, long answer to a couple short questions. Did I answer you with what you were looking for?

-Trey

I second what Gary said.

The only way to run a pass out of pass season is to do a virtual pass. This keeps the cigars out of the harsh conditions but creates a huge shipping and $$ burden for someone (the host)...which is why some passes will allow one or two individuals to be a virtual participant (at host discretion) but you never see full passes that are virtual in their entirety. 

I've run about 6-7 passes and did host a newbie pass a few years back. I'll consider doing one in the fall but now just really isn't the best time to start one.  

Thanks, Jake! Thanks Gary! Good words.

Y'all have a great night....the Sleep Fairy, she beckons...

-Trey

Edit to add: I had no idea there was a "season" per se. Obvious and makes perfect sense, just hadn't considered that aspect.

-T

Alright so... these newbie passes is there a tutorial on how they operate?

The newbie passes are designed to be the tutorial on how a pass works.  Read the pinned articles in the open passes section to get a feel of what to expect.

sok454 said:
Alright so... these newbie passes is there a tutorial on how they operate?
Try the newbie sampler trade in the buy/sell/trade section. You won't be disappointed.

I'm in for this pass when it gets going. I haven't done many passes so I qualify as a newb passer.

Okay so I guess my dumb self thought the newbie sampler trade was just that... a trade. Well low and behold I read the fine print AFTER PMing a fellow botl and didn't realize I would be buying a sampler instead of trading one.

Well its officially fall and this so called newb would like to see where this all stands. I finally have enough smokes to start trading and exploring this hobby with on this forum. Is it the season of trading again or shall we wait a bit longer? Thanks BOTL's

Rooke said:
Okay so I guess my dumb self thought the newbie sampler trade was just that... a trade. Well low and behold I read the fine print AFTER PMing a fellow botl and didn't realize I would be buying a sampler instead of trading one.

Well its officially fall and this so called newb would like to see where this all stands. I finally have enough smokes to start trading and exploring this hobby with on this forum. Is it the season of trading again or shall we wait a bit longer? Thanks BOTL's
You can post in the buy/sell/trade forum but if you haven't met the minimum requirements, don't be surprised if you are asked to send your end first.

CMontoya79 said:

You can post in the buy/sell/trade forum but if you haven't met the minimum requirements, don't be surprised if you are asked to send your end first.
Okay will do. And that's what I was looking for. More of a newb sending some sticks to a vet. And in return the send some back.

I'm all for getting in on a small pass once the above is initiated.  I never did do a Newbie Sampler, and due to my APO situation I was always hesitant to involve myself in a legitimate pass or other activity (such as Secret Santa) because shipping was so erratic from my location.  I'm a bit more stabilized here as far as shipping goes, now, so I'm ready to get my feet wet.