• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Warped Don Reynaldo: More TUNNELING Issues

stogie fan

This past Monday evening I decided to see if I could replicate & document my recent experience with the first of two boxes of the Warped Don Reynaldo that I purchased back in May this year. I like the Don Reynaldo blend but so far, all of the cigars in this first box have had major burn issues, namely tunneling.
These have very little to no draw resistance, they are very loosely rolled, and this particular cigar would not stay lit more than 5 minutes. I had to continually relight the cigar, it eventually became completely unsmokable, and I tossed it after way too much aggravation because of continually fighting it.
I read the Don Reynaldo cigars are rolled at El Titan de Bronze, in Miami. Here is what their website states; "All of our cigars are hand crafted in the USA by “Level 9” rollers." I have no idea what that actually means but I'm not impressed.

I really do like the Don Reynaldo blend but I am extremely disappointed with the construction of the cigars.
I honestly would not even give these away, as I would be too embarrassed to do so.

The two below photos were taken with my phone, after sunset, this past Monday evening.

The first photo shows the lit foot of the cigar just after a healthy puff, the ash is glowing very hot, but there is an obvious bunching issue with the filler.
It looks as if the filler was not rolled in a circular fashion.
The way the filler was bunched demonstrates filler that seems to be fashioned nearly in two different halves, and a large void between.
# 1 WDR T2.jpg

Here is a second photo of the same ash, in a bit better focus, and after a bit of cooling.
# 1 WDR T1.jpg

Shame, it is a good cigar. I would definitely contact the retailer and try to find a resolution. Just my 2 cents.

As I’ve mentioned before, these all sound like symptoms of over humidification, what’s your storage rh and temp?
Also, not all rolling methods are circular.

As I’ve mentioned before, these all sound like symptoms of over humidification, what’s your storage rh and temp?
Also, not all rolling methods are circular.

Hi Tim,

As I recently mentioned in another thread, I previously had purchased several boxes of another brand/blend of cigars, for years, and I had a good experience with them, for years. One day I purchased yet another box, and the box had tunneling issues. I kept this particular box properly stored for three years, yet the tunneling issues never resolved. I eventually tossed the remaining five, or six cigars, after three years of proper storage.

I ask again, just as I asked in that previous thread: How would the potential for any humidification issue in that scenario not resolve the tunneling issues, within a three year window? That question holds relevance because I kept all of my cigars stored the same way during that three years, yet no other cigars had the tunneling issues. Was there some kind of terrible cigar voodoo that only negatively effected the one box, and made it tunnel, while all of my other boxes were not effected by the same humidity level?
I'm not buying that theory; it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I won't believe for a moment that (1) very loosely rolled cigars that (2) contain obvious filler voids en masses are caused by humidification issues.

I also posted the below linked thread, to that thread.
I'm not surprised to see that Jon Drew recognized the issue with the Feral Pig as being a construction issue.

During a 14 year period I have had only these 3 boxes with these issues:
(1) very loosely rolled (2) obvious filler voids (3) very little to no draw resistance (4) very little smoke production (5) tunneling
I understand that set of issues are quite rare, and are not experienced often, or for some smokers, at all.

So, in 14 years I have experienced this set of issues with 3 boxes; 3 boxes out of a few hundred boxes.

It's not the end of the end of the world but the evidence in no way points to any humidification issue being the root cause.

Shame, it is a good cigar. I would definitely contact the retailer and try to find a resolution. Just my 2 cents.

I traded a few emails with Scott from Warped; folks there are aware of my experience with their product.

Hi Tim,

As I recently mentioned in another thread, I previously had purchased several boxes of another brand/blend of cigars, for years, and I had a good experience with them, for years. One day I purchased yet another box, and the box had tunneling issues. I kept this particular box properly stored for three years, yet the tunneling issues never resolved. I eventually tossed the remaining five, or six cigars, after three years of proper storage.

I ask again, just as I asked in that previous thread: How would the potential for any humidification issue in that scenario not resolve the tunneling issues, within a three year window? That question holds relevance because I kept all of my cigars stored the same way during that three years, yet no other cigars had the tunneling issues. Was there some kind of terrible cigar voodoo that only negatively effected the one box, and made it tunnel, while all of my other boxes were not effected by the same humidity level?
I'm not buying that theory; it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I won't believe for a moment that (1) very loosely rolled cigars that (2) contain obvious filler voids en masses are caused by humidification issues.

I also posted the below linked thread, to that thread.
I'm not surprised to see that Jon Drew recognized the issue with the Feral Pig as being a construction issue.

During a 14 year period I have had only these 3 boxes with these issues:
(1) very loosely rolled (2) obvious filler voids (3) very little to no draw resistance (4) very little smoke production (5) tunneling
I understand that set of issues are quite rare, and are not experienced often, or for some smokers, at all.

So, in 14 years I have experienced this set of issues with 3 boxes; 3 boxes out of a few hundred boxes.

It's not the end of the end of the world but the evidence in no way points to any humidification issue being the root cause.
You still haven’t answered the question, what is your storage rh and temperature?
Also, as a cigar roller I can tell you that over humidified cigars feel like there are voids in them. Once they dry the tobacco expands.

Rh is currently holding @ 68%/69% (+/- 1%) & the temp is pegging 67 degrees F.

I don't keep cigars stored anywhere near an exterior wall, nor near any AC/heat source.

I also keep my cigars near floor level, year round; helps to keep the temp below 70 F.

When is the last time you calibrated your hydrometers? Last time I asked you just laughed at the question.. Also, what brand and how many do you have? Digital, analog, Bluetooth?

When is the last time you calibrated your hydrometers? Last time I asked you just laughed at the question.. Also, what brand and how many do you have? Digital, analog, Bluetooth?

a hydrometer is used to determine the density, and/or specific gravity of a liquid.

I have no use for them.

maybe there is a reason why I laughed?

a hydrometer is used to determine the density, and/or specific gravity of a liquid.

I have no use for them.

maybe there is a reason why I laughed?
Figured you might use one with that wet ass humidor you’ve got 🤷‍♂️ pardon my spelling.

He means hygrometer

I kinda figured that but then hey; you know the younguns these days 🤣

I use digital hygros, I do the typical salt test at least once a month, and I use a back-up as 'insurance' ....... and make sure the batteries are 'fresh' too

the last time I used a hydrometer was for hot phosphoric acid that was cooking at 183 degrees C, and that was 30 years ago :D but then that's a whole different thread ............

Rh is currently holding @ 68%/69% (+/- 1%) & the temp is pegging 67 degrees F.

I don't keep cigars stored anywhere near an exterior wall, nor near any AC/heat source.

I also keep my cigars near floor level, year round; helps to keep the temp below 70 F.
I’ve heard of people having such issues running at that rh. Many (myself included) have moved to 62%-65%.

You still haven’t answered the question, what is your storage rh and temperature?
Also, as a cigar roller I can tell you that over humidified cigars feel like there are voids in them. Once they dry the tobacco expands.

Hi Tim,

You never replied to my question, a question that I posed twice, once in another thread, and also in this thread, about the box I had properly stored for three years, in which the tunneling issue never resolved. Maybe you could comment on why that box never burned correctly, and all the cigars continued to tunnel, even after three years of proper storage, when all my other cigars that were stored the same burned perfectly??
I would be interested to hear your theory on that scenario, if you have one.

As far as over humidified sticks go, I have had limited experience with that many years ago but generally the few that I had would end up with wrappers that breach. The cigars were typically quite full feeling, not hard but certainly not 'loose' feeling, the fillers were quite puffy (expanded) from the excess humidity, thus I assume placing pressure on the binder & the fragile wrapper. The cigars would also have quite a heavy draw resistance.
The La Hacienda & the Don Reynaldo cigars have had none of those issues; actually just the opposite. The cigars have a very loose fell, the wrappers have not breached at all & are pristine, and the draw resistance has been very little to nothing. From my experience, none of those attributes imply over humidification; just the opposite.

I traded a few emails with Scott from Warped. I told Scott that I plan to dissect a few of the cigars to dig into the 'void' issue.
I'm also interested to see how each vitola is bunched, seeing as they are produced by different facilities.
Looking into the 'void' issue I plan to do a few cross section dissections.
As far as trying to figure out which bunching method is used I plan to do at least a couple full length dissections.
I will be taking pics too so, I will be able to document whatever I may find.
I figure, the cigars aren't smokable, I might as well learn how they were constructed; I already paid for them so, no big loss.

Last edited:
Hi Tim,

You never replied to my question, a question that I posed twice, once in another thread, and also in this thread, about the box I had properly stored for three years, in which the tunneling issue never resolved. Maybe you could comment on why that box never burned correctly, and all the cigars continued to tunnel, even after three years of proper storage, when all my other cigars that were stored the same burned perfectly??
I would be interested to hear your theory on that scenario, if you have one.

As far as over humidified sticks go, I have had limited experience with that many years ago but generally the few that I had would end up with wrappers that breach. The cigars were typically quite full feeling, not hard but certainly not 'loose' feeling, the fillers were quite puffy (expanded) from the excess humidity, thus I assume placing pressure on the binder & the fragile wrapper. The cigars would also have quite a heavy draw resistance.
The La Hacienda & the Don Reynaldo cigars have had none of those issues; actually just the opposite. The cigars have a very loose fell, the wrappers have not breached at all & are pristine, and the draw resistance has been very little to nothing. From my experience, none of those attributes imply over humidification; just the opposite.

I traded a few emails with Scott from Warped. I told Scott that I plan to dissect a few of the cigars to dig into the 'void' issue.
I'm also interested to see how each vitola is bunched, seeing as they are produced by different facilities.
Looking into the 'void' issue I plan to do a few cross section dissections.
As far as trying to figure out which bunching method is used I plan to do at least a couple full length dissections.
I will be taking pics too so, I will be able to document whatever I may find.
I figure, the cigars aren't smokable, I might as well learn how they were constructed; I already paid for them so, no big loss.
To address your question, having a couple boxes act differently is not uncommon, have seen many people post similar issues. Proximity to humidor doors and humidification medium is a consideration. Also, I’d buy those boxes from you if you are looking to get rid of them. No need to destroy good cigars.

To address your question, having a couple boxes act differently is not uncommon, have seen many people post similar issues. Proximity to humidor doors and humidification medium is a consideration. Also, I’d buy those boxes from you if you are looking to get rid of them. No need to destroy good cigars.

My question was concerning one particular box, not a couple boxes, a box that was properly stored for three years, a box with basically every cigar that tunneled, and the tunneling issue never resolved after being properly stored for three years.
If there was any humidification issue with that one box that was the cause of the tunneling, then any potential humidification issue should have resolved by a three year window, and the tunneling issue likewise should have also resolved after a three year window. It did not resolve.
When any cigar enthusiast properly stores cigars in the same manner for a three year period, and only cigars from one box have major burn issues, i.e. tunneling, and none of the other two hundred plus cigars have that tunneling issue, then I would not believe any of that scenario points to any issue of over humidification, or any humidification issue.
Didn't believe it then, don't believe it now, won't believe it when I'm dead.

Your opinion is analogous to someone stating that 200 plus automobiles were all painted black at the factory but after three years 20 of those 200 plus automobiles were still white, even though they were painted black by the factory. Maybe the reason the 20 are white & not black is because of what garage they were stored in, or some other location issue? Fun stuff .......

Last edited:
your car analogy is not applicable. I give up on giving you advice. However, my offer still stands, I’ll buy them off you.