• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Warped La Hacienda: CAUTION, ugly TUNNELING issues

stogie fan

I was excited to obtain this box of Warped La Hacienda cigars from a very well known online retailer. This box arrived at my door back on June 5, 2021.
I love the blend, love the flavors, love the room notes, love the fact these are a Nicaraguan puro, love everything about them, except every cigar in this box has so far had TUNNELING issues. I don't love cigars that tunnel; I hate them.
There was some very recent discussion of the potential cause(s) for cigar tunneling, the main issue cited being humidification.
So, this evening I decided I would try another La Hacienda, only to see if the next stick from the bastard box would replicate the tunneling issue that every previous stick from the box has offered me, or if the next one would actually be a 'good' cigar, and not tunnel.
For the first ~30 minutes the cigar seemed to burn fairly well, and there was no visual void in the cigar cross section at the foot.
About 35 minutes in I noticed the draw was becoming difficult & there was very little smoke production; both indications of some crap coming along.
At this point I knocked the ash off, and to my disgust, I found yet another void dead center in the cigar. :mad:
This is nothing but a 'construction issue' period.
I understand there seems to be some strange group think in cigar circles that believes a humidification issue will cause voids in a cigar. :rolleyes:
Yeah, I get all that but truth be told, humidification has absolutely no bearing on a cigar that has been bunched like shit, or rolled like crap.

I offer the following photos as an educational opportunity to some of the experts that believe humidification issues are the cause of crap rolled sticks, sticks that won't smoke properly, sticks that eventually won't smoke at all. We are all here to learn.

So, I got a crap rolled box of La Hacienda. This happened previously with another brand/blend that I previously had extensive experience with, and then one day outta tha blue, a crap box showed up; a box I kept properly stored for three years, and the tunneling issue never resolved, after three years of proper storage, because of a construction issue.

Bottom line: beware when purchasing, and if you're like me, when you get a crap rolled box, you prolly won't purchase them again. Problem solved. :D

Here after about ~35 minutes in, after I knocked off the ash = dead center VOID the size of ~10% the diameter of the stick.
Humidification issues won't do that, unless you're tripping on LSD.
# 1 LH 1 crop.jpg

Here, after a full re-cut & re-light. A cigar vagina with a re-light?
# 1 LH 2.jpg

Here, 15 minutes after the re-cut & re-light.
No draw resistance, no smoke production to speak of, binder & wrapper burn rate is way off.
# 1 LH 3.jpg

Same/different angle
# 1 LH 4.jpg

The cigar went out shortly after the last photo was taken; it was impossible to smoke, with little to no draw resistance, and no smoke production.
Again, crap bunched & crap rolled cigars are not caused by humidification issues & if anyone believes they are then I have a bridge to Mars I'd like to sale ya.

Last edited:
I never had a bad La Hacienda. My advice is if you in fact bought these from a REPUTABLE retailer let them know the issue and show the pictures. If the retailer is in fact reputable they should take care of you in this case

Glad you have had nothing but a good experience with the blend. :)

Purpose of the thread is to demonstrate that on the rare occasion there are construction issues with a cigar that any potential humidification issue is not at all responsible for.

I'm not looking for the retailer (Famous Smoke Shop) to take any action; they sold the product, they didn't produce the product.

I had the same/similar situation with a different brand/blend years ago. Over a period of time I purchased a few boxes & no issues. I purchased another box & every cigar tunneled. Even after three years of proper storage, a time frame in which any potential humidification issue should have been mitigated, the cigars still tunneled. After three years I tossed the remaining five, or six cigars. I never purchased that brand/blend again.

The cigar market is extremely competitive, and there is a nearly endless selection to choose from. Once bitten twice shy, to borrow a cliche.
I move on to new ground & don't look back when I have cigars with such major construction issues. A little sting in the wallet is helpful to remind me that I don't desire a repeat.

It's all good.

Last edited:
Honestly if you purchased a few singles or even a fiver I would totally agree. But if it’s a box I am sure the retailer should either refund you or replace the box and bring this to the attention of the manufacturer. I am sure that the manufacturer would have no issue making it right with the retailer and actually would even appreciate the feedback as the better ones probably have a way to notate which roller this batch came from. The only way to correct issues like these is to know who needs better training. If this was one or two cigars - well shit happens but a whole box means that roller needs to do a better job. After all the manufacturers reputation is on the line. Imagine if this was your first experience with this cigar or even worse you might have been someone with a high reputation for a review blog. That would be really bad news for the brand

I was excited to obtain this box of Warped La Hacienda cigars from a very well known online retailer. This box arrived at my door back on June 5, 2021.
I love the blend, love the flavors, love the room notes, love the fact these are a Nicaraguan puro, love everything about them, except every cigar in this box has so far had TUNNELING issues. I don't love cigars that tunnel; I hate them.
There was some very recent discussion of the potential cause(s) for cigar tunneling, the main issue cited being humidification.
So, this evening I decided I would try another La Hacienda, only to see if the next stick from the bastard box would replicate the tunneling issue that every previous stick from the box has offered me, or if the next one would actually be a 'good' cigar, and not tunnel.
For the first ~30 minutes the cigar seemed to burn fairly well, and there was no visual void in the cigar cross section at the foot.
About 35 minutes in I noticed the draw was becoming difficult & there was very little smoke production; both indications of some crap coming along.
At this point I knocked the ash off, and to my disgust, I found yet another void dead center in the cigar. :mad:
This is nothing but a 'construction issue' period.
I understand there seems to be some strange group think in cigar circles that believes a humidification issue will cause voids in a cigar. :rolleyes:
Yeah, I get all that but truth be told, humidification has absolutely no bearing on a cigar that has been bunched like shit, or rolled like crap.

I offer the following photos as an educational opportunity to some of the experts that believe humidification issues are the cause of crap rolled sticks, sticks that won't smoke properly, sticks that eventually won't smoke at all. We are all here to learn.

So, I got a crap rolled box of La Hacienda. This happened previously with another brand/blend that I previously had extensive experience with, and then one day outta tha blue, a crap box showed up; a box I kept properly stored for three years, and the tunneling issue never resolved, after three years of proper storage, because of a construction issue.

Bottom line: beware when purchasing, and if you're like me, when you get a crap rolled box, you prolly won't purchase them again. Problem solved. :D

Here after about ~35 minutes in, after I knocked off the ash = dead center VOID the size of ~10% the diameter of the stick.
Humidification issues won't do that, unless you're tripping on LSD.
View attachment 46382

Here, after a full re-cut & re-light. A cigar vagina with a re-light?
View attachment 46366

Here, 15 minutes after the re-cut & re-light.
No draw resistance, no smoke production to speak of, binder & wrapper burn rate is way off.
View attachment 46367

Same/different angle
View attachment 46368

The cigar went out shortly after the last photo was taken; it was impossible to smoke, with little to no draw resistance, and no smoke production.
Again, crap bunched & crap rolled cigars are not caused by humidification issues & if anyone believes they are then I have a bridge to Mars I'd like to sale ya.
Definitely a humidity issue that I know how to fix but don't tell assholes so you are shit out of luck. Sorry

Last edited:
Honestly if you purchased a few singles or even a fiver I would totally agree. But if it’s a box I am sure the retailer should either refund you or replace the box and bring this to the attention of the manufacturer. I am sure that the manufacturer would have no issue making it right with the retailer and actually would even appreciate the feedback as the better ones probably have a way to notate which roller this batch came from. The only way to correct issues like these is to know who needs better training. If this was one or two cigars - well shit happens but a whole box means that roller needs to do a better job. After all the manufacturers reputation is on the line. Imagine if this was your first experience with this cigar or even worse you might have been someone with a high reputation for a review blog. That would be really bad news for the brand

I like your idea of addressing the issue with corrective action; that is a forward looking, long haul, positive approach, that has real potential for all involved.

Definitely a humidity issue that I know how to fix but don't tell assholes so you are shit out of luck. Sorry

I have no doubt you know how to fix a humidity issue but I’m confident the only humidity issue you ever fixed you used an antifungal for those. Sorry