• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Water Spill Inside Humidor

rsaavedra

Don Rafael
My shot glass full of RO Water spilled inside my new seasoning humidor (no cigars on it, is my new one). These never happened before on my old humidor. I dried as much as I could but can still see the water stain on the wood and some on the sides where the wood meets the inside flooring.

My questions:

"What's the next step?"
"What can I do?"
"What is going to happen?"
"Is my new humi damaged/ruined?"

Please help as I am pissed as my clumsiness might have ruined my new humi.

Thanks in advance,
Raf

I suggest you use a hair dryer to dry out the humi ASAP, but use the lowest temp. If the stain is present after it dries, take a low grit sandpaper and sand the interior gently. You'll have to re-season the humi once you have the current problem under control.

I suggest you use a hair dryer to dry out the humi ASAP, but use the lowest temp. If the stain is present after it dries, take a low grit sandpaper and sand the interior gently. You'll have to re-season the humi once you have the current problem under control.

Crap I need a hair dryer? that's the one F*N thing I don't have in my house! Sun-Dry it tomorrow? Impossible, the F*N forecast is calling for rain tomorrow and the rest of the week :angry: ! How lucky a guy can be!

I'm pretty much F*D ain't I?

Raf

Try holding the wet area over the exhaust vent on a vacuum or shop vac.
And it keeps getting better, plugged in the vaccum and nothing, opened it and it smelled burned out. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Worst comes to worst, what happens if dries the way it is, is it useless after that? Do I spring more dough for a new humi?

You're screwed. Start drinking heavily. Toss useless humidor out window. Pound head on wall. :(

...or wait until it dries and see how it turns out.

idk, when i spilled water in mine it was fine. I just toweled it off a bit and just let it airdry for an hour.

Did you bump it and cause a spill ? or did it spill and sit soaking into the humidor for a while.

If you just knocked it over, I would suck as much moisture out as possible with a towel, close it up and let it season.

I have been a wood worker/cabinet maker for about 20 years now, and I would really think twice about heating anything with a hair dryer. At most if you really want to dry it out leave it open in the house for a few days. That spanish cedar will wick the moisture out nice and slowly. Adding heat rapidly could compromise glue joints, and the seal of the humi by warping wood, also the outside finish could be damaged if a joint breaks loose.

Some water spots on the cedar will not hurt anything, unless it has really soaked in for a while.

idk, when i spilled water in mine it was fine. I just toweled it off a bit and just let it airdry for an hour.

That's more comforting.

Did you bump it and cause a spill ? or did it spill and sit soaking into the humidor for a while.

If you just knocked it over, I would suck as much moisture out as possible with a towel, close it up and let it season.

I have been a wood worker/cabinet maker for about 20 years now, and I would really think twice about heating anything with a hair dryer. At most if you really want to dry it out leave it open in the house for a few days. That spanish cedar will wick the moisture out nice and slowly. Adding heat rapidly could compromise glue joints, and the seal of the humi by warping wood, also the outside finish could be damaged if a joint breaks loose.

Some water spots on the cedar will not hurt anything, unless it has really soaked in for a while.

All of this took place around 1000pm tonight, there was what it seemed a crap load of water on the flooring, I wiped it off as much as I could but in the end there was a huge water stain/mark on the flooring. In 1.5 hours these is what it looks like so far:

The new humi:
IMG_9167.jpg

At 1130pm here is what's left of the water spill so far:
IMG_9168.jpg

IMG_9170.jpg

AKmik thanks for your helpful words Sir. LMK if its slavageable/usable.

Raf

No worries bud, I would bet you did not hurt a thing.

It looks like you got to it pretty fast. I think you will never even be able to tell once it dries. If you want to be really safe just leave it open , probably 24 hrs will do, you will be able to see if its still wet.

Even if it does stain a little, you just need to keep the bottom covered with 0pux,VSG's and other great stogies.

Its all good :thumbs:

see ya

Mike

Spilling the water will, at worst, leave a little stain. Your humidor isn't ruined. Just leave it open if you want it to dry more. Alternatively, you could close it and let the moisture from the spill participate in seasoning the humidor; as it gives up moisture (dries) the rest of the Spanish cedar will be able to absorb it. Everything will stabilize given a little time.

And once you're ready to go, follow AKmik's advise and fill that bad boy with your favorite smokes. :)

Spilling the water will, at worst, leave a little stain. Your humidor isn't ruined. Just leave it open if you want it to dry more. Alternatively, you could close it and let the moisture from the spill participate in seasoning the humidor; as it gives up moisture (dries) the rest of the Spanish cedar will be able to absorb it. Everything will stabilize given a little time.

And once you're ready to go, follow AKmik's advise and fill that bad boy with your favorite smokes. :)

I have the same humi.. You'll love it!! Until its full :( Then you'll do as i did and buy a wine-o-dor until it starts getting full. Then you'll be thinking Aristocrat.. I've only been doin this for a few months now!

I have the same humi.. You'll love it!! Until its full :( Then you'll do as i did and buy a wine-o-dor until it starts getting full. Then you'll be thinking Aristocrat.. I've only been doin this for a few months now!

I have another 100ct -not as nice as this one- already full, I don't have space at the moment in the current house to wine-o-dor :angry: , however when our new house is finished (Nov) I'm putting a wine-o-dor in the garage and the above elegant humi will be in the main house in the formal area for company and such; can you see the reasoning for that nice humi? :rolleyes: The other one it will either be sold, traded, donated or stored; haven't decided yet. The idea is having a nice humi in the house so I don't have to go to the garage too often and scrounge thru the wine-o-dor for something to smoke, instead I'll have a nice variety/selection in the house and restock when the count gets low in the inside humi.

In my amateur opinion, based on those pics, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Leave it open until it dries, and then reseason it. I think the worse case scenario from too much saturated water would be cracking in the wood over time....but that spot is really small, and it looks like you caught it early.

So before worrying about a new humidor, perhaps you should address that vacuum problem!

Improvise, adapt, overcome. Jeesh. Some of you guys kill me.

Doc.