• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

/waves goodbye to Gurkha's

Yojimbo

Brutish Nubber
Since I found that I could buy them at $3 a stick, I've been a regular smoker of the Gurkha Nepalese Warrior. Love the way it smokes, and it has a taste that appeals to me from start to finish.

So this weekend I visited my closest "good" smoke shop (Oxmoor Smoke Shop in Louisville) for some humidifier solution, and got to chatting with the manager. Good guy, my age and knew much more than the average smoke shop employee. I'm certainly not advertising for this shop, or the manager, but here's an example: My father inlaw has become re-interested in cigar smoking since I came around, and every time we have a stick, he reminisces about the Wolf Brothers rum dipped crooks. Each time he asks me to find him some, and each time I remind him that they are no longer made. Well this store manager, as soon as I mentioned that, goes into their beautiful walk in humidor, and brings out one of the flavored CAO smokes. I was impressed.

But anyhow, we were talking about our preferences in cigars, and I told him I like the Nepalese warrior. I had already paid for the falvored stick for wifeys dad and my solution at this point, and I thought it was awesome that he was still chatting me up after he'd closed his sale. When I mentioned ordering a box, he said of course he could. Then he went back into the humidor, and came back out with a CAO Brazillia (box pressed of course. I don't know why, but I prefer a box press stick). He tells me he wants me to try it, and get back to him and let him know how I thought it compared to my Gurkha's. On a side note, he gave it to me as a freebie, which I thought was nice.

So last night I poured a bourbon and lit this CAO. From what I had read CAO was a stronger smoke that I like, so I expected it to be a try it and toss it experience. Boy was I wrong. I haven't smoked every brand out there by a long shot, but I'm confident in saying that the Brazillia was a perfect fit for my smoking tastes. Plus the smell and smoke didn't bother the wife at all, which is a very rare thing.

Yes, I know that was a long way to go for a smoke story, and thanks if you hung with me. Just wanted to share a good smoke, for anyone out there looking to try something different, but doesn't want to end up with ashtray fodder for their money.

Does anyone else here enjoy the Brazillia, or have any suggestions for a similar smoke that I may enjoy as much or more? I'd love to hear your feedback.

Since I found that I could buy them at $3 a stick, I've been a regular smoker of the Gurkha Nepalese Warrior. Love the way it smokes, and it has a taste that appeals to me from start to finish.

So this weekend I visited my closest "good" smoke shop (Oxmoor Smoke Shop in Louisville) for some humidifier solution, and got to chatting with the manager. Good guy, my age and knew much more than the average smoke shop employee. I'm certainly not advertising for this shop, or the manager, but here's an example: My father inlaw has become re-interested in cigar smoking since I came around, and every time we have a stick, he reminisces about the Wolf Brothers rum dipped crooks. Each time he asks me to find him some, and each time I remind him that they are no longer made. Well this store manager, as soon as I mentioned that, goes into their beautiful walk in humidor, and brings out one of the flavored CAO smokes. I was impressed.

But anyhow, we were talking about our preferences in cigars, and I told him I like the Nepalese warrior. I had already paid for the falvored stick for wifeys dad and my solution at this point, and I thought it was awesome that he was still chatting me up after he'd closed his sale. When I mentioned ordering a box, he said of course he could. Then he went back into the humidor, and came back out with a CAO Brazillia (box pressed of course. I don't know why, but I prefer a box press stick). He tells me he wants me to try it, and get back to him and let him know how I thought it compared to my Gurkha's. On a side note, he gave it to me as a freebie, which I thought was nice.

So last night I poured a bourbon and lit this CAO. From what I had read CAO was a stronger smoke that I like, so I expected it to be a try it and toss it experience. Boy was I wrong. I haven't smoked every brand out there by a long shot, but I'm confident in saying that the Brazillia was a perfect fit for my smoking tastes. Plus the smell and smoke didn't bother the wife at all, which is a very rare thing.

Yes, I know that was a long way to go for a smoke story, and thanks if you hung with me. Just wanted to share a good smoke, for anyone out there looking to try something different, but doesn't want to end up with ashtray fodder for their money.

Does anyone else here enjoy the Brazillia, or have any suggestions for a similar smoke that I may enjoy as much or more? I'd love to hear your feedback.

What day were you there? I was there Saturday just before closing time.

It was yesterday, I'm wanting to say about 3 or 3:30. Didn't know anyone was that close. It was Jason I was talking to. Great guy, seems he opened his own shop on Bardstown Rd. Definitely gonna get my return business. I love that shop, nicest I've found since we moved here. Beats the hell out of the shop in E-town.

So are there any good cigar friendly joints in our area? I have yet to find one.

It was yesterday, I'm wanting to say about 3 or 3:30. Didn't know anyone was that close. It was Jason I was talking to. Great guy, seems he opened his own shop on Bardstown Rd. Definitely gonna get my return business. I love that shop, nicest I've found since we moved here. Beats the hell out of the shop in E-town.

So are there any good cigar friendly joints in our area? I have yet to find one.

There is a smoke shop on 3rd street that has a smoking club but I haven't been there. You can cross the river to Jeffersonville and smoke inside Youngstown Cigar. LOL but true, the Denny's in Clarksville (Clarksville, IN doesn't have a smoking ban.) and many of the restaurants in Veteren's Parkway allow cigar smaking in the bar area.

There is a smoke shop on 3rd street that has a smoking club but I haven't been there. You can cross the river to Jeffersonville and smoke inside Youngstown Cigar. LOL but true, the Denny's in Clarksville (Clarksville, IN doesn't have a smoking ban.) and many of the restaurants in Veteren's Parkway allow cigar smaking in the bar area.

3rd st in Louisville? By the way, I'm the only guy in Kentucky/Indiana that constantly runs around in a Carolina Hurricanes hockey Jersey, so if you see me in the shop, you'll know, lol. :whistling:

I find that CAO tends to rate their sticks on the stronger side. The Brazilia and Italia are both listed on thier web page as full bodied smokes. I would say that medium to full is more like it. Good smokes, I like them both. I have kinda shied away from Gurkha's lately as they have so many blends, I don;t see how they can keep them straight. Never had a bad one, but damn.

Do all you can to convert you father-in-law to real smokes and put down flavored sticks! :laugh:

Nick

I find that CAO tends to rate their sticks on the stronger side. The Brazilia and Italia are both listed on thier web page as full bodied smokes. I would say that medium to full is more like it. Good smokes, I like them both. I have kinda shied away from Gurkha's lately as they have so many blends, I don;t see how they can keep them straight. Never had a bad one, but damn.

Do all you can to convert you father-in-law to real smokes and put down flavored sticks! :laugh:

Nick

lol, I bought him a nice Fuente once, and he sat it on his desk for about 3 days before I couldn't take it anymore and threw it in my humi. He smoked it a few days later, and said he liked it. But he raved over that CAO Moontrace. Whatever works for him I guess.

I felt the same way about the CAO vs. Gurkha thing. I loved my Gurkha's, but this is just a more enjoyable smoke. My smoke shop guy is setting me up in a box of 20 for $90 even.

By the way, anyone who's looking for a great smoke shop in the Louisville area with staff that cares about its customer base, I strongly recommend J Shepherd's, on Bardstown Road.

FWIW, Mom's appears to still be selling the Wolf Rum Soaked line...

Don't be done with Ghurka - they need a loyal customer base to try the new cigar they put out every week! :D

I'm not really a big CAO fan, especially of the Brazilia or Italia lines - but their 65th Anniversary is awesome, and I love their Criollos and El Salvadores. Their America line is hit or miss - I'll try one and it's awesome, and I'll try another and it's flavorless. Very weird.

If you like the Brazilia and Italia try Don Lino Africa - VERY tasty cigars.

I'll have to check into that. Prolly have to e-buy it though, no one in my area has them. My local shop is trash, and the guy in the good shop nearest me is hard to get ahold of.

Thanks for the tip.

I'll have to check into that. Prolly have to e-buy it though, no one in my area has them. My local shop is trash, and the guy in the good shop nearest me is hard to get ahold of.

Thanks for the tip.

Damn, no box press that I can see. Don't get me wrong, I'll smoke anything good, but I prefer a box press smoke.

Try the CAO America, one of my most recent favs. It's not too strong, and has a nice even burn. The barber pole wrapper tends to be a little thin and delicate so handle with care as they tear easily........Cheers!