• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Went to my local shop today

cvmfour

Well being new to cigars, I figured I'd blow some time and go to my local shop today. I walked in and was overwhelmed by how many cigars I saw. There was rows of cigars lining the walls. I don't think I saw an empty wall there. So I walk up to the sitting area and asked for someone to help me (I didn't like this part because I feel the shop should say "can i help you" in the first place) :angry: . I ask the employee where the AVO and Arturo Fuente line is and told him I was a beginner etc. He said those cigars were too strong for a beginner like myself. :0 So he starts to explain everything about everything that has to do with cigars. In the end I walked out with 1 Baccarat and 1 Macanundo.

All in all it was a pleasant experience at Habana Smoke Shoppe He seemed like he wanted a repeat customer and was very knowledgeable about cigars. When I finish these, I will definitely be back. :thumbs:

www.cigarsunderthestars.com - Shameless plug :love:

Perhpas you should have pushed for the Fuente stuff like you went in to do. IMHO sometimes new cigar people get turned off by poor smokes. The Macanudo stuff is ok, but normally very mild. Go Mac Gold label if you want that and go after the regular Fuente line, IMHO it won't be too strong.

Yea I prolly should have but didn't want to make the guy look like an idiot either. For ex. "I asked on the internet, etc. and people said it'd be okay". I guess if I show him respect then I'll get respect back. You see where I'm coming from?

cvmfour said:
He said those cigars were too strong for a beginner like myself. :0 So he starts to explain everything about everything that has to do with cigars. In the end I walked out with 1 Baccarat and 1 Macanundo.
heh -- funny thing is, AF has some very mild cigars in its lineup. Ah well.

moki's right. There are plenty of AF's that he could have offered. Try a Chateau Fuente. Low price and when I was just beginning I loved 'em. Still do in fact. I find them to be a bit peppery, which is nice. Also, go for a La Unica (same company). Good cigar there. :thumbs:

Well, it sounds like the guy was nice and trying to be helpful. Had he steared you to really expensive cigars (Try this Graycliff... These La Aurora Preferidos are great..) I would question his motive. He probably didn't want you to try something to harsh and get turned off. That being said, next time you go back make it clear you are looking for something stronger. As far as regular Fuentes go.. I've been loving the sun growns lately. (black ribbon at the foot of the cigar).

other1 said:
Well, it sounds like the guy was nice and trying to be helpful. Had he steared you to really expensive cigars (Try this Graycliff... These La Aurora Preferidos are great..) I would question his motive. He probably didn't want you to try something to harsh and get turned off. That being said, next time you go back make it clear you are looking for something stronger. As far as regular Fuentes go.. I've been loving the sun growns lately. (black ribbon at the foot of the cigar).
Agreed.

good post.

Smoked the Baccarat tonight and it was pretty mild and forgiving to say the least. I couldn't really tell of any flavors in the cigar or anything like that. May'be it doesn't have any?

But it was very relaxing to go outside, light the cigar up and watch the sunset. I really didn't have a worry in the world. Now I see why people smoke for the relaxation of it.

Next time I go in I will ask for the AVO or Arturo Fuente. This is a good cigar but I'd want one that doesn't taste so bland next time. I want the sweet tip and hidden flavors inside. Prolly gonna go Maduro all the way :thumbs:

cvmfour said:
Next time I go in I will ask for the AVO or Arturo Fuente. This is a good cigar but I'd want one that doesn't taste so bland next time. I want the sweet tip and hidden flavors inside. Prolly gonna go Maduro all the way :thumbs:
If they have them -- which they probably won't -- go for a Hemingway Maduro -- any size -- Work of Art, Signature, Masterpiece, or Classic. If not, try the 858 Maduros -- they are quite nice as well, and not too strong.

See, I think there's a difference between strong and flavorful. The Padrón 1926 Maduros are incredibly flavorful -- but they aren't really *strong* or harsh at all.

moki said:
The Padrón 1926 Maduros are incredibly flavorful -- but they aren't really *strong* or harsh at all.
LIES! LIES!! Don't listen to 'im. He's trying to kill you, he is! :0

Just kidding. But in fact, moki has had many cigars that I have never even seen (the Work of Art (mentioned) is one, in fact). And I had a '26 that just about (what am I saying... DID) put me on the couch for about an hour. Great cigar, and flavorful as hell; but, to me, was quite strong.

AF Chateau Fuente
Punch Rare Corojo

3$-4$ ---- Still loving them as my goto smokes

Bacarat are mild and the sweetgum taste is alright when you start smoking, generally however, most folks will outgrow that and start looking for deeper flavor profiles.

I'm already looking for a "deeper flavor." Next time I'm getting the AVO Maduro and Arturo Fuente 858.

cvmfour said:
I'm already looking for a "deeper flavor." Next time I'm getting the AVO Maduro and Arturo Fuente 858.
The AVO isn't really deep in flavor. It is a nice cigar NTL. Both in madureo are little fuller bodied than the last 2 you mentioned. First thing that came to mind for a "deeper flavor" in maduro is the Padron thousand series (2000-5000). Try CigarGold.com link for a decent price on these. I think you will be pleasntly sureprised on how good these are for the price. Also, with some age on them, the Magnum Maduro's are fantastic smokes! Hop this helps you out a little.

Emo

Try Perdomo Reserve Maduro

Smoked two #4's last night. Excellent smoke. Full flavor, but not overpowering. It was probably the strongest cigar I smoked to date and one of my favorites. Finished off the night with A CAO Maduro, another flavorful smoke.

Well, I'm the wrong person to ask since in my mind, if it isn't a full bodied smoke, I find it not to my liking.

That being said, the AF 8-5-8 maduro would be a good thing for you to try next. It's not horribly mild like a Baccarat but it won't kill you like an El Rico Habano or an ERDM. You can build up to those later.

THEN, we'll get you smoking April 2004 Quintero Brevas :sign: