• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What an amazing cigar!

Does anyone have any comparative experience with the No.3? I've had a few singles in the past year and I found them enjoyable.

Hmmmm....I recall seeing boxes of '98s available from several vendors. G/B?! :whistling:

While I really enjoyed the #4, I had a Partagas PC on Saturday and I think I'm going to purchase a box of those over the Monte's as they are much more consistant from what I've read. Ordering them tomorrow, can't wait.

I smoked one of these when I first started smoking ISOMs.

Didn't really appreciate them until later.

The 2006 boxes have been amazing!

Glad you liked them...I love them too!

Monte #4s and Monte #2s are among the most inconsistent cigars in the world due to the number of factories that produce them, and the sheer quantity they churn out.

I've found them varying widely even from cigars from the same box, and certainly from box to box, year to year... more so than most cigars.

Just my experience....

Agreed that if they could box up "on" No.4's with consistency, this'd be one of the best petite coronas (marevas) out there. As it is, the inconsistency definitely draws down the overall rating. I don't get the sense that this is the case with the Especiales though. Am I wrong on this?
Montecristo generally just does not do it for me as a regular production cigar brand. I enjoy the taste variance cigars provide from their various production eras and sources. Particularly so in Habanos. However, it is a slight change that I enjoy and I feel that Montecristos swing too widely in taste and quality for my preference. My favorite Montecristos, by far, are the Laguitos (Especial #1 and Especial #2), particularly the Especial #1.

Within the Mareva vitola, I favor the Cohiba Siglo II (which is a tad pricey) and the Por Larranaga Petit Corona (which skips production years). My third (in no particular order) favorite of that size line is the Juan Lopez Petit Corona. The JL marca seems to receive little love from most enthusiasts, but I find it to be the hidden gem of the pack. Relatively economical and consistently good to great (i.e. age to preference at your patience level).

I picked up a couple Monte #4's in a trade this past week after I've read nothing but great things about them. So tonight, after a devastating Bengals loss, I graded an Oktoberfest beer, my dog, a Monte #4, and headed out. We went over to the dog park and I drank my beer and smoked my first Monte #4. Needless to say, it was amazing. What a great smooth smoke, with some bite at the end. I heard so much about these cigars and now that I've smoked one, I agree, they definitely live up to the hype. I have four left and I'm torn on if I should just burn em, or let em sit?!?!?!? Regardless, I see my first box purchase (not just of these, but ever) in the near future.

I came to the top of the slope, and I'm about the go tumbling down faster than I could ever imagine. I'm picking up a cooler and ordering my beads this week and soon, my box. This is going to get ugly fast!

I have to agree that the #4s are amazing. I've had the luck to smoke a few different Monte Cristos who bought me a present when he came back from Cuba. I had never had a #4 before, but having gone to Cuba recently and only having #4s sold individually at the resort, and smoked a variety of different Romeo Y Julietas and Cohibas while there, I have to say the Monte Cristo blew the other brands away. I'm sad to have to say that I still haven't tried #1s yet. I bought some in Mexico, but they were obviously fake after having to light them 20 times and having problems taking tokes. The price should have been a dead giveaway...20$ for a pack of 5...

I finally had a chance to try my first cuban cigar today, and it was a Monte #4. :thumbs:

I only started smoking cigar for 3 months, and I mainly smoke mild cigars,
so I suspect I won't be able to appreciate this stick.

However, I was completely wrong!!!! THIS IS AN AMAZING CIGAR!!!

It was extremely creamy and smooth, with some coffee flavor blended with a little grassy taste.
Its been six hours after the smoke, and I still can't stop thinking about it!

This cigar is the best smoke I've ever had. After this one, I don't want to try other cigar anymore.

The only drawback I think is its flavor stays the same from start to end, but for a 40 minutes smoke,
what more can I ask for.

For $5.5/@ stick, I think it is a reasonable price.

Does anyone have any comparative experience with the No.3? I've had a few singles in the past year and I found them enjoyable.

Agreed that if they could box up "on" No.4's with consistency, this'd be one of the best petite coronas (marevas) out there. As it is, the inconsistency definitely draws down the overall rating. I don't get the sense that this is the case with the Especiales though. Am I wrong on this?

Wilkey

Hey, Wilkey. I had a 5er of the Especialles #2. One was very, very tight and one was just plain plugged. The other three were very nice smokes. Right up there with the #2's in my book. Based on my experiences (limited), I tend to believe the comments I'm hearing. Montecristo makes a lot of cigars. Maybe the quality (in construction) does hurt from this. I have not had any that tasted off. However, this has been challenged also.

Monte #4s and Monte #2s are among the most inconsistent cigars in the world due to the number of factories that produce them, and the sheer quantity they churn out.

I've found them varying widely even from cigars from the same box, and certainly from box to box, year to year... more so than most cigars.

Just my experience....

Spot on Andrew!
A slight GrannySmith apple enveloped with a slightly scorched carmel undertone with coffee overlay is the flavors I reach for when I pull out a #4. Most of the # 4's I've smoked, end with a nice blast of black and white pepper. There are times I particularly do not enjoy the heat they give off at the end. After all these years of smoking, I finally realize I must pick these only when I want the end results, because that is the only real constant of the Monte #4, the pepper towards the end. The prelude is a riddle though. I personally think this is because they (Montecristo) go through several mixing stages (sick periods). Young, they have noticeable amonia and a bitter resin glick. After 6-12 months the mixing doesn't return to that, but they can just taste flat in spots while smoking them. Because they are small, this can lead you to believe the whole cigar is a pud.