• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What are the effects of large stems/midribs in a cigar?

andy1

I have encountered several cigars that burned poorly, to the point of barely drawing at all. I decided to do a rather uninformed autopsy of said cigars.

The one thing I noticed it that there were a couple of thick stems or midribs on some leaves. Kind off a thickness that reminds you of a mechanical pencil's lead (or a tad smaller). Could this play a part in the poor draw?

It seems to me that once rolled the thick midrib of the leaf would press against the rest of the more thin, evenly layered leaves creating somewhat of a clog by the additional bulk of the midrib.

For the most part veins in the filler run the length of the cigar, so they probably wouldn't plug it unless there was a very large amount of them.

For the most part veins in the filler run the length of the cigar, so they probably wouldn't plug it unless there was a very large amount of them.

I would agree with this statement. Is there a certain brand or line of cigars that you are encountering this problem with. It could just be a problem with the roller that day and making a bad batch if they are all the same cigar??

My first thought is that the cigars are too moist.

Whoops. Meant to post this in the Cigar Lounge section. Thanks for the input, but I'd like to move the discussion there. Is it possible to lock or delete this one?

You could report it and ask rod to move it, that's more or less the only way.

Too wet or plugged. If you bought theme here, probably too wet. If you imported them yourself, possibly plugged or just too wet.