• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What cigar do you give visiting friends

LarryLarry

Do you guys keep a particular cigar that you give to friends that aren't really cigar smokers?

I mean I've given some pretty nice cigars to people only to have them smoke a third and smush it out ???

One of my favorite cigars is a generic from Holts called the super gordo factory special or something along those lines and its CHEAP but I can't give that to beginners because they would go nuts with a 6X60. I've had 2 experiences with JR Alternatives that make me think smoking a newspaper cigar is better. This is not to say all of JR's alternative line is a poor cigar, but the cuban alternative cohiba sure is!

So what do you guys do?

P.S. this post should pair with another post I am thinking of starting: "Is almost any cigar a 'good' cigar as long as its aged?"

Cheers,

LARRY

Something like Padron 2000 series.

It won't break the bank, or your heart if some mook stomps it after two draws. It's a great cigar fresh or with age, and it's a hell of a lot better than JR copies.

Pretty much the cheapest cigars I can find for them. Depends on the person. If it's a friend of mine who might get into the hobby, I treat them to a Padron 2000 or something fairly inexpensive but still really good. If it's someone who is just tagging along and I know just wants a cigar to fit in, I grab something cheap. Devil's Weed has been a nice compromise. Very inexpensive but mild and fairly tasty for the non-smoker just wanting to try one.

No, in my humble inexperienced opinion, not any cigar is a good cigar as long as it's aged.

There's a quote by someone I don't know but would love to meet, "You can't polish a turd." Truer words have never been spoken.

BR

Edit: to add: John, it still breaks my heart when someone stomps out a Padron 2k. I love those sticks dearly. :love:

Something from the Fuente Grand Reserva line in a natural wrapper. Won't break the bank and they're mild.

Doc.

Illusione Cuchillo Cubano Churchill. They retail at $4 each and are very consistent.

Arturo Fuente Curly Heads, I started with one and now look where I am! :D

If they are close friends or relatives, I will give them a Monte #4.
I think it is a relatively mild and short smoke.
And even if they don't like it, at least I have introduced them to their first Cuban experience.

I think I may grab a box of the famous stubbies in natural wrapper for this purpose. I love them and I know my guests will enjoy them as well. Perhaps I will do a trade on the sub-forum once I've hit 4 months on the board.

I got a good deal on some short shot tabak especial negra a while back, so I normally give those away. And even if my buddies don't like em and toss em, it wont matter as much as them wasting a bigger and better cigar.

Oliva Serie G Robusto isn't too bad a smoke for the money. Padron 2000 as already mentioned, and if "size" scares them, the Padron Delicias or Londres.

If they are close friends or relatives, I will give them a Monte #4.
I think it is a relatively mild and short smoke.
And even if they don't like it, at least I have introduced them to their first Cuban experience.

I go cheaper with the Quintero Brevas. Great little smoke, and most folks can't tell how ugly they look.

I don't give anybody anything anymore! Another detective I work with is a fellow BOTL (sort of). We usually smoke on our lunches. We were drinking one evening at my place and he said "dude, I want an Opus.". I gave him a petite lancero and I saw it later a third of the way smoked crushed in the ashtray... He gets the NC RyJ or NC Montis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll add that I've purchased some Oliva and Reyes cigars from cigarmonster.com that were $9.99 shipped for 5 and I actually really don't like them at all. I normally "give" those out to friends because its a $2 stick and I don't like them so much. I've been buying the cigarmonster daily deal when its about $10 because then I get free shipping on my whole order and those daily deal cigars too. I think most the online retailers do the combined free shipping so this is another good way of acquiring cheap cigars for friends while stocking up on what we like.

Once I get a bigger humidor I am probably going to devote one humidor to ones I don't love or everyday smokes and another for the keepers.

I always have punch champions on hand- they are short enough not to worry- and the shape keeps people smoking them for that intrest.

Something like Padron 2000 series.

It won't break the bank, or your heart if some mook stomps it after two draws. It's a great cigar fresh or with age, and it's a hell of a lot better than JR copies.
...the winner..!!!...:thumbs:

Padron 2K's are great for the rookie....and even guys that know what they are smoking won't turn their nose up at one of these. Great choice.

Cheers - B.B.S.

I only give cigars that I would smoke. Which means Opus X and Anejo's for starters. Plus Johnny-O's when I have them in stock.

Cheap Dominicans are always a good choice, generally on the sweeter side and mild.