• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What Did You think about cigar smoking as a Kid?

hott_mic

Banned
Alright guys, this post is a child of my curiosity because I was just having flashbacks of when I was a kid and how I viewed cigar smoking. To me it seemed like it was only on either extreme side of classes, the high class ritzy millionaire, or the card sharks and cowboys with the big ol' cartoon looking cigar..... you know the one... the Macanudo Diplomat, looks just like a cartoon cigar. I also remember the timeless classic dogs playing playing poker and smoking some big stogies, for some reason that was totally burned into my mind, and now that I think of it there are very few times I could even remember anyone even smoking a cigar, but the few times I did it was either the sweetest aroma ever or it was something that made your nose hairs curl. But I never pictured myself ever being into cigars even though I always loved the smell of tobacco, .. How bout you guys? What were your ideas of a cigar smoker in your younger days, could you have pictured yourself being a cigar smoker a few years ago? And the most important question.... when was the first time you smoked a cigar and how did you feel about it.... did anyone get sick their first time? LOL

My Grandpa smoked both pipes and cigars. I'll always associate the aroma with comfort and good times.

B.B.S.

I was completely repelled by it. When i was in preschool, i actually walked up to a smoker and ask him, very curiously, why he was killing himself.

Oh, the irony.

I hated smokers as a whole in my younger years, really bothered me being around the smoke. Always found cigar smoke to have a terrible smell, couldn't understand somebody wanting to stick something that smelled that bad in their mouth. I've..uh... changed my views since then, lol. Some of the cigars some guys smoke though, WHOA, nasty as can be! Still don't understand how they can keep sucking on something that terrible, bleh.

My first smoke was extremely enjoyable, I bought a sampler pack of 5 real cubans online, wanting to try something good my first time. But, as I started to read up on how much can go wrong with lighting, cutting, etc. I decided to make my first a mild from the local shop (Can't remember the name of the cigar though, but was quite good to me at the time). I loved it right away, and in turn got a bit overly excited. I was Seattle at the time, and had to drive across the state that night, so when I fueled up I bought a peach flavored mini-cigar in my ignorance, pretty terrible. So, I got home ready to take on the world, and lit up a Montecristo #4 I had bought online, still like them to this day. Although, the problem arose halfway through the #4, I had never smoked a day before in my life, absolutely nothing, and going on my third cigar on my first day... yea, sickness soon followed. I got real light headed, dizzy and felt sick to my stomach. Felt horrible, but knew I had done it to myself, rather than the cigar doing it to me, heh.

Oh well, live and learn. :)

I was completely repelled by it. When i was in preschool, i actually walked up to a smoker and ask him, very curiously, why he was killing himself.

Oh, the irony.

Thats amazing!!! Anyways, grew up in a family where alcohol and tobacco products were strongly discouraged, and to this day I'm not a drinker because of seeing my aunts and uncles sh*t-faced and never wanting to be like that. Incidentally, I had a neighbor named "Dave" who smoked a pipe all the time, he was awesome.

He was the angriest old man ever, always smoking his pipe on his porch, yelling at kids as we walked by. Outwardly, as a 7 yr. old I was terrified by him, but inwardly he was my hero because he was speaking his mind and he made me laugh from some of the things he yelled. One time I walked by and looked at him and he screamed, "What the f*ck you looking at ya little faggot!!!" I just ran off laughing my head off, it was awesome!

My family doesn't even know I'm this into cigars, but alas, it's my hobby, not theirs, so what the f*ck you looking at you little faggots?!?!?!

Hmmm.. well, my Dad used to flame smokers, tattoos, drinkers.... and the more you spent on such things, the stupider you were to him.

So any time I saw a smoker, someone with wine or even a small tattoo, there was a chorus of lectures to follow, lol. Needless to say, such violent protests had me curious.

I got into cigars randomly. I was at a mall, and I bought Colts on a whim. Man.. I don't know how I kept on smoking those dog rockets. Anyway, a mate bought over some RyJ no 3 Tubos to get me off the death-train, and I have been hooked ever since.

Being a parent myself, I will always remember the negative effect of over-lecturing.

Never any real exposure to it, other than the occasional visit to see "Uncle Armand" who was my fathers uncle, his house smelled like cigars constantly. I was always curious about it....

Then in high school I was incredibly anti-smoking, and a lot of my high school friends look down on me for it now... but that's why I have college friends. ;)

I never really took much interest in it as a kid. I would smell cigars at my baseball games, and on the golf course with my dad, but it wasn't until my freshman year of college golfin w/ my buddy that I finally took an interest. I smelled a cigar from another hole and asked my buddy if he ever tried one....the rest is history! Two days later he and i walked 2 miles obth ways to pick up a few cigars and a cutter! He doesn't smoke much now, 'it's bad for you' was his last response to me asking him to smoke again w/ me..but recent facebook pictures show him w/ a few cigars in Las Vegas, who knows.. he and I aren't really friends anymore.

My parents HATE that I smoke cigars, as many of you will find out this summer when I open up a PO box LOL! No matter how many times I try to explain that I am very cautious about not over enjoying this hobby, how many friends I've made, the life lessons that I've learned from cigar smokers...they dont like to listen to me. This summer will be a rough one. I'm going to be turning 21, and they'll have even less control over me then they already do...which is VERY VERY little. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about my humidors yet. The last 2 summers i've hid them, but I'm gettin tired of it..plus i have a 46qt cooler..might go to the GF's house, her parents are really cool about me smoking. Anyways, thats my 'history' as a kid.

Never gave it much thought. My dad was and still is anti tobacco and alcohol. Said he has never touched either his whole life. I would love to be able to smoke cigars with him but he has no idea i smoke them.
I have yet to get sick from smoking a cigar. Have had a few dog rockets that made me want to.

My first recollection was an uncle that was smoking a cigar down in Mexico in the early '60s and we kids used it to light off fireworks. My father and stepfather smoked. My father would take me into bars and pool halls from 3 on up and I was always surrounded by smokers.
My first cigar was a Macanudo #8 in the early '80s. It was an occasional distraction from time to time until about 5 years ago when I had my first White Rabbit. It was all over then.

Oh, the irony.

Yeah, I never used to let my ex-wife smoke cigarettes around me, pretty much for the same reason, plus I didn't like that cigarette mouth taste on someone else, even though I love cigar smoke aftertaste.

I hated smokers as a whole in my younger years, really bothered me being around the smoke. Always found cigar smoke to have a terrible smell, couldn't understand somebody wanting to stick something that smelled that bad in their mouth. I've..uh... changed my views since then, lol. Some of the cigars some guys smoke though, WHOA, nasty as can be! Still don't understand how they can keep sucking on something that terrible, bleh.

My first smoke was extremely enjoyable, I bought a sampler pack of 5 real cubans online, wanting to try something good my first time. But, as I started to read up on how much can go wrong with lighting, cutting, etc. I decided to make my first a mild from the local shop (Can't remember the name of the cigar though, but was quite good to me at the time). I loved it right away, and in turn got a bit overly excited. I was Seattle at the time, and had to drive across the state that night, so when I fueled up I bought a peach flavored mini-cigar in my ignorance, pretty terrible. So, I got home ready to take on the world, and lit up a Montecristo #4 I had bought online, still like them to this day. Although, the problem arose halfway through the #4, I had never smoked a day before in my life, absolutely nothing, and going on my third cigar on my first day... yea, sickness soon followed. I got real light headed, dizzy and felt sick to my stomach. Felt horrible, but knew I had done it to myself, rather than the cigar doing it to me, heh.

Oh well, live and learn. :)

Yeah, I used to smoke once in a while but used to be kind of a health nut so never really did it regularly. Like many of the people that get deployed to Iraq I started some kind of tobacco fix. But I look at it more as a hobby. Started off with curiosity, always liked the taste of swisher sweets and black and milds, then went to the base PX and picked up some Questa Rey's, Montesinos, and another I can't remember, think they were Quest Rey's too, sungrown, anyways the PX does't believe in Humidification so every stick was dry and it wasn't all that. So later that week someone here told me they sell Cubans, but they ended up being fakes... no wonder they tasted like burnt hay.

Oh, the irony.

Thats amazing!!! Anyways, grew up in a family where alcohol and tobacco products were strongly discouraged, and to this day I'm not a drinker because of seeing my aunts and uncles sh*t-faced and never wanting to be like that. Incidentally, I had a neighbor named "Dave" who smoked a pipe all the time, he was awesome.

He was the angriest old man ever, always smoking his pipe on his porch, yelling at kids as we walked by. Outwardly, as a 7 yr. old I was terrified by him, but inwardly he was my hero because he was speaking his mind and he made me laugh from some of the things he yelled. One time I walked by and looked at him and he screamed, "What the f*ck you looking at ya little faggot!!!" I just ran off laughing my head off, it was awesome!

My family doesn't even know I'm this into cigars, but alas, it's my hobby, not theirs, so what the f*ck you looking at you little faggots?!?!?!

Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat, don't drink much because there's already enough alcoholics and dui's in the family. LOL And the only reason my family knows is because I had a "special shipment" of cigars that they wouldn't send to an APO address so I had to let them know they were coming.

I hated, and still do, the smell of cigarettes as far back as I can remember, but the smell of a cigar never bothered me. My grandpa used to smoke a pipe when my dad and I lived with them, and I always liked that too. In high school I can honestly save I never smoked once or had one drink of alcohol, but then college happened. I can still say to this day I've never once had a cigarette.

Anyway, I joined a fraternity, and one of their big recruiting events was a "smoker." Everyone dressed up in ties and suits, sit down with prospective members for dinner and then cigars afterwards. Had my first one there, and liked it. Started smoking a few after that, mostly sitting around with my best friend. However, when I met a girl, who is now my wife, I quit because she hated it. Well, now it's 8 years and 2 kids later and I've decided to start again. She hates it, but now I don't care that much. I'm not trying to impress her anymore.

I hated, and still do, the smell of cigarettes as far back as I can remember, but the smell of a cigar never bothered me. My grandpa used to smoke a pipe when my dad and I lived with them, and I always liked that too. In high school I can honestly save I never smoked once or had one drink of alcohol, but then college happened. I can still say to this day I've never once had a cigarette.

i hated the smell of cigarettes too and still do, i feel they are so much harsher than cigars. i tell all my cigarette smoking friends to quit and they tell me well you smoke cigars! so i say fine quit and start smoking cigars lol

Now the smell of cigars when i was younger was horrible to me but thats because the people i knew who smoked cigars were smoking Garcia Vega's that you could get from the gas station. man those things smelled horrible to me.

I always hated cigarettes. Tobacco in general was strictly forbidden in my religious family. Still I always liked cigars for some reason. I think a lot of it has to do with my early heroes. I've been a military history fanatic from a very young age and many photos of the great commanders in U.S. history depict them with cigars. Then when I saw Clint smoking those little Italian cigars in the great Sergio Leone western trilogy I was pretty much hooked. Been fascinated by cigar culture ever since.

I remember loving the smell, especially compared to cigarettes which I hated. I remember loving the smell of tobacco snuff too.

My grandfather smoked a pipe and cigars. I always enjoyed sitting on his lap when he smoked or helping him clean his pipe w/ the white pipe cleaners. He quit when I was around 6 or so.

Good times. Just wish we could have enjoyed sitting together w/ a pipe or cigar.

My Dad smoked Dunhills when I was a kid, his best friend smoked some horrid cigar that he bought at the local convenience store (Magnums, I think they were called), a lot of older gentlemen around town smoked pipes, and my grandparents and all their friends smoked cigarettes. The cigar and pipe smoke I liked, but the cigarette smoke was rotten. I have never smoked a cigarette, and doubt that I ever will. I smoked my first cigar while I was a freshman in college. My roommate had never tried one, either, and wanted to, so we went off and bought a couple cigars. I don't even remember what they were, but they weren't super. I didn't smoke again until I was in law school, and some buddies and I went out drinking and decided to have a cigar. That time, I liked it a lot more, and have been smoking more and more ever since.

Anyway, I joined a fraternity, and one of their big recruiting events was a "smoker." Everyone dressed up in ties and suits, sit down with prospective members for dinner and then cigars afterwards. Had my first one there, and liked it. Started smoking a few after that, mostly sitting around with my best friend. However, when I met a girl, who is now my wife, I quit because she hated it. Well, now it's 8 years and 2 kids later and I've decided to start again. She hates it, but now I don't care that much. I'm not trying to impress her anymore.

LOL so funny, that's how I felt about stuff with my X-wife... take note, that's X-Wife LOL

My Grandpa smoked both pipes and cigars. I'll always associate the aroma with comfort and good times.

B.B.S.

My grandfather smoked a pipe and cigars. I always enjoyed sitting on his lap when he smoked or helping him clean his pipe w/ the white pipe cleaners. He quit when I was around 6 or so.

Good times. Just wish we could have enjoyed sitting together w/ a pipe or cigar.

Amen and x3 gents. :thumbs:

I always hated cigarettes. Tobacco in general was strictly forbidden in my religious family. Still I always liked cigars for some reason. I think a lot of it has to do with my early heroes. I've been a military history fanatic from a very young age and many photos of the great commanders in U.S. history depict them with cigars. Then when I saw Clint smoking those little Italian cigars in the great Sergio Leone western trilogy I was pretty much hooked. Been fascinated by cigar culture ever since.

Yeah, I used to live with an Aunt that was a chain smoker.. all day all night like a chimney and I hated it, could never stand the harsh smell of cigarette smoke, but I love the smell of cigarettes before the light. And yeah it does seem like a lot of great leaders were into cigars.

I remember loving the smell, especially compared to cigarettes which I hated. I remember loving the smell of tobacco snuff too.

I never really liked the smell of snuff... that minty smell is just not good sometimes, but I do have a great tip for anyone curious to try it... NEVER TRY IT WHEN YOU'RE DRUNK!!! First time I tried it I was gone and I think everyone knows what happened after that.... I was calling some guys nameD... RRAAALLLLPPPPHHHH