• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What do you do with the bands?

kann

One Leg Of Fury.
Reaction score
I am thinking about building a guitar and covering it in cigar bands. I have kept the band to almost every cigar I have smoked since I've been over here in Europe, which is about a year, now. So I've got a bit of a collection. Nowhere near what I'd need, though, for 100% coverage. I want to get a prefab body, probably a Telecaster-style due to the large, flat landscape to work with, like from Warmoth or something. I recall reading that someone on here covered a man cave table in bands when I first started here on the site, which gave me the idea to do a guitar. I've done a fair share of electronics and setups, so I think with a simple bolt on guitar I'll be alright. I've never done finish, though, so it could be interesting. I'd probably set it up for some raunchy slide, so tone isn't the priority with it incase whatever material used to adhere the bands to the wood acts to deaden the tonal output at all. I'd have it clear coated, afterwards, though not sure what I would use for that finish. Nitro is pretty expensive, so I'd probably just go with polyester lacquer like on a regular Fender.

I tried searching for this topic, but I couldn't find the original post that had about the table. So, anyone done anything interesting or creative with their cigar bands after they smoke it?

I was actually wondering what people do with theirs... Start a journal?

About 2 years ago I took my starter humi(15 stick capacity, lasted till my Newbie sampler trade arrived) and covered the lid with my bands. It turned out pretty nice

I like what NashKicker is doing; it looks nice. :thumbs:
It's actually been finished for a long time. I use it now to store my extra cigar related junk. ie. cheap cutters matches ect.I have actually been thinking about giving it away to a deserving newb. I smell a contest coming on.....:cool:

edit: I dont spell so good

Eww Cruzado. :p I have yet to find one I like.

I still keep a journal of the sticks worthy of the time to touch pen to paper. So the bands I like, I stick in there. The bands I don't like I throw in the recycle bin.

That actually a pretty nice looking box. I don't have all that many saved up yet, so I'll journal and hopefully come up with enough dupes over time to do something creative with.

I am working on making a life sized Simon Bolivar papier-mache statue. So far I have both feet finished up to the kankles.......

I have put many but not all my bands in a 6 gal. carboy. I started it when I joined CP. It's nearly full.

Doc

My Local B&M owner makes guitars for fun. He has one covered with different cigar bands that he displays in the window of the store.
It gets tons of people to stop and look at or take picture of it.

I have a ton of them in old Picture albums (the old type with the plastic sheet and sticky paper)

I like what NashKicker is doing; it looks nice. :thumbs:
It's actually been finished for a long time. I use it now to store my extra cigar related junk. ie. cheap cutters matches ect.I have actually been thinking about giving it away to a deserving newb. I smell a contest coming on.....:cool:

edit: I dont spell so good

*sharpens sword*
Who is my first opponent?!?! :thumbs:

ps- How long did it take you to finish collecting enough bands?

I'm the one that made the table. It's beautiful, and a labor of love.

As an avid musician, I love your idea. You're going to have to sand off the finish dude, then use decoupage to stick it on. Then, finish it off with a high gloss acrylic (you can get cans at Lowes), and do five or six coats, letting it dry completely through coats.

After Rod updated the forum, I can't find my thread so you can see the photos. Oh well.

I put them on wooden dowel sections that I paint brown to use as hobo bait. They can't resist the La Luna banded ones, but they don't give the Tatuajes a second look.

I'm the one that made the table. It's beautiful, and a labor of love.

As an avid musician, I love your idea. You're going to have to sand off the finish dude, then use decoupage to stick it on. Then, finish it off with a high gloss acrylic (you can get cans at Lowes), and do five or six coats, letting it dry completely through coats.

After Rod updated the forum, I can't find my thread so you can see the photos. Oh well.

I'm half-heartedly looking around at unfinished bodies on ebay, but if I cam across a good enough one I'd probably snap it up and make a project out of stripping and sanding it. I was also thinking of finding someone to paint the pick guard one large piece, like a Cohiba band, maybe (since it is very vivid and recognizable). Not sure how that would look, but it's just a thought for right now. Thanks for the advice. Question with the acrylic: will it dry flat and smooth after several coats, or will it have the texture of the bands?

It will have the texture of the bands.

Alan, that's just what I'd expect out of you!