• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What does Ligero mean?

Gael said:
Hi Everone,

Actually, Volado isn't used all that much in the production of "Premium" cigars. There are 3 basic types of tobaccos used in premiums; Seco, Viso & Ligero.

Seco or Base is a delicate but very aromatic leaf that gives you the "high-end" flavor in a blend. Think of this as the "tweeters" when you listen to music. Subtle but very important. Seco lends itself to the good and even burning characteristics of a cigar. It is used on the outside of a bunch right under the binder.

Viso adds the "mid-range" power to a blend and is one of the most critical components of any blend. This leaf is of Medium thickness and loaded with flavor. Viso can make or break a blend. The viso is bunched underneath the seco.

Ligero adds the "low-end" raw power to a blend. This is the thickest and the strongest leaf of all the 3 filler components. Ligero is placed in the very center of a bunch.

The secret is to make all these different leaves work in harmony, thus creating an enjoyable blend. In many "Fuerte" cigars, the blender will opt to use 1 or even 2 Visos and often a blender will create a sub-blend of 2 to 3 ligeros to give a cigar a nice PUNCH.

As I said, very few cigars are blended with Volado as this type of leaf is mostly used for bulk instead of flavor. Volado is the cheapest tobacco that you can buy.

Hope this helps,

Gael
[snapback]200755[/snapback]​
Thanks for sharing your knowledge about blending. I think it would be neat to hear your thoughts on different cigars out there. BTW, are you in town now? Last time I went to the store it was closed and I heard you may have been out of town on business.

Emo

Emo, you're correct, I've been spending half my time in Honduras lately. Marta and I opened our own factory in Danli in May and we've been very busy preparing for production. We hope to start bringing in some of our first cigars in Mid-August. :cool:

Back