• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What happened to the Hobbit BDay pass?

KStevenson

Just wondering what happened to this pass. It seemed like a really good idea! Art are you here?

Keith, if I remember correctly the first birthday on the list was not until March.

Shadow's right, the first birthday is March. Year-end processing is keeping me busy here, but I'll get the address and date list out shortly. We can still take two more if anybody else wants to play. Check the old board for description.

COPY FROM OLD BOARD:Having a little too much time on my hands at work today, I was perusing some old posts here, specifically the Best Box Pass Idea thread. It got me to thinking, and I have a proposal. Be patient, and read it through. I think it’s a good one, and would love to get some feedback, and hopefully some volunteers. Here goes:Darryl, in that thread, suggested a birthday pass, where people would mail you cigars on your birthday. I propose an inside out revision of that idea, based on the writings of my favorite philologist turned author, J.R.R Tolkien. He wrote about a race of little people, called Hobbits. Hobbits, in addition to having been the first to smoke tobacco, had an unorthodox way to celebrate birthdays. Instead of getting presents on their birthdays, they GAVE presents to friends and family.In the spirit of Professor Tolkien, I propose the Hobbit Birthday Pass. It would work as follows: each person who signs up (and I’d like to get an even twenty participants) will, a week or so before his or her birthday, send one cigar to the other 19 participants. Then, on the birthday in question, we all smoke the same cigar in celebration of the giver’s birth. This offers a significant advantage over the original proposal, in that each participant only has to remember one date (and it should be an easy one), and only has to make one visit to the post office a year. In return, everyone will get 19 cigars in the mail over the course of the year. Another attractive feature of this is that it can continue indefinitely. If someone drops out for some reason, I’m sure we could find a volunteer to take his or her place.I envision buying a birthday box and letting the cigars rest peacefully in my humidor until the appointed time; others might want to budget their purchases and buy a few at a time. Either way we will have twenty days during the year on which all of those participating will share a quiet moment and a good cigar.If any among you find this to be an idea you would like to see realized please let me know. If it takes off I will maintain the addresses and birthdays (unless you want to be surprised) on a web page for reference.

Do you have an amount that should be spent on a box?
and How many are sighned up now?

There's eight of us so far. 10 was the upper limit we decided on, so there's still room.No hard rules on &#36 value of the smokes; I believe that we can rely on the good taste and experience of the participants.

Tex, Welcome aboard. Just click the e-mail icon in this message for my address.

Nope, it's closed. I'm going to send the list of b-days and addresses to everyone today. Check the Messenger section of the board. And Tex, I still need your b-date.avh

Art, I hate to do this to you, but I need you to take me out of this pass.
--Keith Stevenson--(Edited by KStevenson at 7:05 pm on Feb. 2, 2001)
(Edited by KStevenson at 12:23 am on Mar. 5, 2001)

Sorry to see Keith go.What is the status? Am I first? It's March and my B-Day is comming soon. Can someone tell me what I have to do?:cool:

gil, i forwarded the snailer list & info i had from art to you.

I wonder myself, should I break out the old Perfectos or go shopping for something new? The Perfectos are nice and aged but I feel like everyone in the pass has goten one from me before.Any ideas?

I really don't mean to influence you Gil but I haven't received a perfecto from you yet...remember I was on Navy hiatus for a bit.

In the Navy's honor, Serie S Perfectos it is.Smokes go out today you should have them by Thursday March 15 my b-day.I'll be lighting up my perfecto at 9:00 pm central time in case you what to to the Hobbit thing.Happy b-day to me :) :) :)
:cool:

Here it goes
djm 0300 1290 004 7385 9001
Marty M. 0300 1290 004 7385 9032
shadow 0300 1290 004 7385 8974
avh 0300 1290 0004 7385 8998
kstevenson 0300 1290 0004 7385 8943
texcigar (in VA... go figure) 0300 1290 0004 7385 8950
kapinto 0300 1290 0004 7385 8967
burnt 0300 1290 0004 7385 9025two guys are getting aged Partagas 898's..... Dominican 898's (soory it was that or new Perfectos I went for the aged, since the other Perfectos were aged as well I thought that was the fairest thing to do)Enjoy