• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What have you been reading lately?

My latest book is "Finish made easy" For me, I can build just about anything. The tape measure doesn't lie. Finish on the other hand, has variables out of your control. In the end I can get it looking beautiful. It's the time it takes to get it there. This book is helping me shave time off of finish work w/o sacrificing quality. The end tables I'm building right now took 3+ times as long to finish as they did to build. That's the weak link I need to work on and this book is helping.

Uncle John’s Unsinkable Bathroom Reader. Laugh all you want, but these books are fun to read. I probably have 12 of them, and I’ve learned a lot about a lot of things through them. Also, they take a while to read when you’re only getting through 6-8 pages at a time. :laugh:

Uncle John’s Unsinkable Bathroom Reader. Laugh all you want, but these books are fun to read. I probably have 12 of them, and I’ve learned a lot about a lot of things through them. Also, they take a while to read when you’re only getting through 6-8 pages at a time. :laugh:

Love the bathroom reader series!:thumbs:

I've been reading alot of indie author stuff for the Kindle. I usually stick with the cheaper titles, because you can run into a lot of "junk". Some of the better ones I've had the pleasure of reading lately include these. Blurbs courtesy of Amazon!

The Dempsey Gambit: In the near future, boxing promoter J.J. Lincoln is desperate to find the next hot fighter. Rather than develop a new one, he finds a brilliant scientist desperate to fund her research. She replicates the most popular fighter of the early 20th century - former heavyweight champion Jack Dempsey. Can a fighter a hundred years past his time survive in the boxing ring of the future, much less win the heavyweight title?

Golf's Sacred Journey: The story is based on thousands of athletes the author has counseled, and the great mentors and teachers from whom he has learned, told through the lives of two characters---a rancher with a passion for teaching truth and a young golf professional at the end of his rope.

After the End: Zombies are on the loose and the world is falling apart. In the tradition of apocalyptic novels such as Stephen King’s THE STAND, a group of strangers on a Manhattan subway are brought together in the name of survival. With the city’s infrastructure down and communication with the outside world curtailed the survivors head toward the nearest marina. When they meet a lab tech who may have a solution to the virus, they know his safety is paramount and it’s more important than ever that they get off the island.

Steve you read World War Z? Seems up your alley.

I am working on a bunch right now, very very slowly wrt having newborn baby lol

Chirstopher Moore - The Stupidest Angel
Jimmy Buffett - Tales from Margaritaville
John Twelve Hawks - The Traveler (just starting)
A couple of books on behavioral observation and signaling ;)

When I close these out I am going to read Steve's new book on my kindle and probably try to finally tackle the Rabbit series by Updike.

Steve you read World War Z? Seems up your alley.

I am working on a bunch right now, very very slowly wrt having newborn baby lol

Chirstopher Moore - The Stupidest Angel
Jimmy Buffett - Tales from Margaritaville
John Twelve Hawks - The Traveler (just starting)
A couple of books on behavioral observation and signaling ;)

When I close these out I am going to read Steve's new book on my kindle and probably try to finally tackle the Rabbit series by Updike.

Yes, I read that one a couple of years back. Actually checked it out from the local library. Pretty good zombie book as they go.

One good thing about the Kindle -- there are some good (and a few not-so-good) post-apocalyptic novels that can be had for less than $3.00. That's my sweet spot on the Kindle. I usually stay away from the pricier books. If I see one I really want to read, I will try to get it from the library.

Hope you enjoy Peace Warrior. I would be interested to hear your feedback -- good , bad or indifferent. FYI, I've just dropped the e-book price to $0.99 in preparation for the upcoming paperback version.

Foreign Influence by Brad Thor.

Gotta have a good book when working a 12 hour night shift!
I finished this one over the 4th of July weekend. I was disappointed.... and I like Brad Thor a lot. It was short and unoriginal.

I Just finished the original 154 GI Joe comics from the '80s and early '90s. Somehow TheWife© fond these for me. I nearly wept when she gave them to me last month.

Yeah, I'm a dork, but GI Joe was a MAJOR part of my childhood, and I really needed a break from some of the deeper stuff I've been reading this summer.

It was a lot of fun...

I Just finished the original 154 GI Joe comics from the '80s and early '90s. Somehow TheWife© fond these for me. I nearly wept when she gave them to me last month.

Yeah, I'm a dork, but GI Joe was a MAJOR part of my childhood, and I really needed a break from some of the deeper stuff I've been reading this summer.

It was a lot of fun...

You ever read the Sgt. Rock and Easy Co. comics. I think you'd really like them. If you haven't, I think you'll find them a step above.

Doc.

It was a lot of fun...

Todd McFarlane, before his big break on Spider-man, did some great covers in that G.I. Joe comic run. From that time period I liked Golden's 100 issue maxi series The "Nam more for my fix of military action.

It was a lot of fun...

You ever read the Sgt. Rock and Easy Co. comics. I think you'd really like them. If you haven't, I think you'll find them a step above.

Doc.

Those are classics...great Bronze Age stuff...

It was a lot of fun...

Doc.
I'll put out the word to find them. My BIL co-owns one of the only comic shops left here. I'm sure he can find them for me. Thanks for the tip, Doc.

Nice!

I just got done rereading the American Splendor series in memory of Harvey Pekar.

It was good to take a break from editing and read for fun once again.

A while back I saw HBO was making a series based on George R.R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" series, so I decided to pick up the first book. I was hooked right away, just finished up the fourth book. I love the Lord of the Rings books but have never found anything else in the genre that I really like. I tried reading the Eragon series but thought it kind of sucked. If anyone has any suggestions for some similar reading I'd be happy to hear them as I need to find a new book to read.

I finished this one over the 4th of July weekend. I was disappointed.... and I like Brad Thor a lot. It was short and unoriginal.

I have to agree with you on this one. It was good, but certainly wasn't as good as the previous books.

Does anyone have any recommendations on an author (or books) that have similar storylines to Brad Thor or Vince Flynn? I have a hard time putting down a book by either guy and would like to find something similar while waiting on their next books to come out.

Does anyone have any recommendations on an author (or books) that have similar storylines to Brad Thor or Vince Flynn? I have a hard time putting down a book by either guy and would like to find something similar while waiting on their next books to come out.

I'm not familiar with Brad Thor (have to look those up, as I love this type of book), but I've always thought of Tom Clancy when reading Flynn. Both are great story tellers, with similar characters and plot lines. Clancy's books are a bit dated due to the end of the Cold War, but if you've never read them, you'll be in for a treat. Start with the earliest book you can find with Jack Ryan as the protagonist, and go from there.

Has anyone ever read anything from Charlie Huston? I stumbled across this guy about 6 months ago and have read everything he's written. Very excellent story teller, whose writing packs a hell of a punch. The Hank Thompson trilogy was so good, I even ventured into the Joe Pitt series. A bit of forewarning: Joe Pitt is a vampire (yeah, I know, but trust me...) Start with the Hank series, and just move on from there if you like it.

Hank Thompson trilogy

* Caught Stealing (2004)
* Six Bad Things (2005)
* A Dangerous Man (2006)

Joe Pitt Casebooks

* Already Dead (December 27, 2005)
* No Dominion (December 26, 2006)
* Half the Blood of Brooklyn (December 26, 2007)
* Every Last Drop (September 30, 2008)
* My Dead Body (October 13, 2009)

I have to agree with you on this one. It was good, but certainly wasn't as good as the previous books.

Have you read any of the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child? It's not exactly the same kind of thing, but I really enjoy the character and the storylines. He's kind of like Mitch Rapp in that he's a one man ass kicking machine. Start with Killing Floor if you can find it and go from there. It's kind of hard to find older stuff locally here, so you may have to order it if your situation is the same. If you have one of those fancy, new-fangled reading jalopies, it should be cake to get a copy.

I've read two of Thor's books and I just can't get into them. I read each Flynn novel the day it comes out and once more 6 months later. I've never enjoyed Clancy's stuff. He gets too bogged down in minutiae for my tastes. I find reading him to be tedious.

FWIW, I read the first few Mike Hammer books by Mickey Spillane last year and earlier this year. Great stuff! Can't wait to get into the rest of them. :thumbs:

BR

Have you read any of the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child? It's not exactly the same kind of thing, but I really enjoy the character and the storylines. He's kind of like Mitch Rapp in that he's a one man ass kicking machine. Start with Killing Floor if you can find it and go from there. It's kind of hard to find older stuff locally here, so you may have to order it if your situation is the same. If you have one of those fancy, new-fangled reading jalopies, it should be cake to get a copy.
I was going to recommend the same series as Alan. As a matter of fact if you haven't read any of his stuff yet, let me know as I have a paperback copy of Killing Floor I would be happy to send you.

I've got a James Madison biography going and The Lost City of Z. Both are pretty good sooo far.

Brian,

Along that line, I have a couple authors that might interest you. First is Steve Berry and his Cotton Malone Series I thought them to be excellent. I would start with the Templar Legacy. A little along the lines of a DaVinci Code and just as good, IMO.

You might also want to check out the series from James Rollins, I am through his first 2 books and in the middle of the third also a good read that is fast paced and sprinkled wiht interesting historical info / prospectives.

Anyhow, as a big fan of Thor/Flynn I found thhose to be excellent. I have also heard that David Baldacci has a similar style and you may want to check him out as well.