• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What have you been reading lately?

It may be tough to find, but if you can find the actual issued Watchmen comics they are worth the time. The compilation is good, but I think the whole idea of the series is better portrayed in the comic book form.

yea, I have a feeling that would be quite expensive. What are the differences between the original comics and the compilation? I was under the impression that the compilation is all of them put together in one book.
I think the art suffers from not being in it's original medium (and this is really art we're talking about). The whole feel of the paper, the ink on the paper, the format, the whole package is part of the story. I'm sounding kind of like a nerdy fanboy here, but this is one serious piece of work that needs to be experienced first hand if possible. I know it's getting hard to find (especially now), but it's worth the effort if you're serious.

If you just want the story and pictures, that's fine, the compilation will work great and it's much easier to obtain.

Thanks to OpusXKC, I have a new addition to the collection of Russian novels and what not. Its called, "Символизм Как Миропонимание" which is an interesting piece of literature. Of course, its a slow process of translating it from Russian to English. :laugh:

Oh lucky me...its a Philosophical book. The name translate to something like this. "Symbolism as miroponimanie."

I just re-read The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, and am currently reading Game, Set and Match by Len Deighton (has some rather long winded parts).

I recently finished collecting the entire Flashman Series by George Macdonald Fraser, which I love.

Just wiped out Life on the Mississippi by Mark Twain. Very nice read. I enjoy Twain. Closed out Plague Ship by Clive Cussler after that one.

I'm digging into a book about the Tibetan Freedom fighters now.

Just wiped out Life on the Mississippi by Mark Twain. Very nice read. I enjoy Twain. Closed out Plague Ship by Clive Cussler after that one.

I'm digging into a book about the Tibetan Freedom fighters now.

I'm 1/3 into Plague Ship now.

Presently reading "The Evolution of a Cromagnon" by John "Bloodclot" Joseph. Damn fine read. Actually met up with him and got it autographed, and he's a damn cool, extremely down-to-earth fella.

Just picked up about 10 Tom Clancy books at the local library's used book sale. My wife came over to me and asked if I'd ever read any of his books, which I had not, and she opens up her bag and it's loaded!

So I'm halfway through Clear and Present Danger right now. Are there any Clancy fans out there? I could go type up the names of the other books, perhaps someone who is familiar with his work could help me put them in order for reading.

Finally finished "The Deathly Hallows", last book in the Harry Potter series.

Just picked up about 10 Tom Clancy books at the local library's used book sale. My wife came over to me and asked if I'd ever read any of his books, which I had not, and she opens up her bag and it's loaded!

So I'm halfway through Clear and Present Danger right now. Are there any Clancy fans out there? I could go type up the names of the other books, perhaps someone who is familiar with his work could help me put them in order for reading.

I've read most of Clancy's books (the Jack Ryan series anyway). Best I know, the chronology is:

1. Without Remorse
2. Patriot Games
3. Red Rabbit
4. The Hunt for Red October
5. The Cardinal of The Kremlin
6. Clear and Present Danger
7. Sum of All Fears
8. Debt of Honor
9. Executive Orders
10. Rainbow Six
11. The Bear And The Dragon
12. The Teeth Of The Tiger

Just FYI...the first title is more along the lines of a Jack Ryan "prequel," with the last title being more of a passing of the torch to his son.

Since my free time has been busy lately (reading CP, posting on CP, smoking cigars, and the like), the only reading I do lately is to my four year old son. He's into motorcycles and found "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" at the In-Laws house. We've been reading a chapter a night, and have made it through the first two books; "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" and "Runaway Ralph." Last night we did the first chapter of "Ralph S. Mouse." He loves it, and I get to reread these great books that I remember from when I was young (younger for all you old goats out there).

Edited to fix the title of the second book...

Just finished South of the Border, West of the Sun by Haruki Murakami.

Just started Wait Until Spring, Bandini by John Fante.

I've read most of Clancy's books (the Jack Ryan series anyway). Best I know, the chronology is:

1. Without Remorse
2. Patriot Games
3. Red Rabbit
4. The Hunt for Red October
5. The Cardinal of The Kremlin
6. Clear and Present Danger
7. Sum of All Fears
8. Debt of Honor
9. Executive Orders
10. Rainbow Six
11. The Bear And The Dragon
12. The Teeth Of The Tiger

Just FYI...the first title is more along the lines of a Jack Ryan "prequel," with the last title being more of a passing of the torch to his son.

That looks right to me.

Red Storm Rising was a fictional look at the early stages of WWIII. I highly recommend this book. Was a really good read if you like Clancy, but is not related to the Jack Ryan saga.

Third Option by Vince Flynn. Just wish I'd read all his stuff in order. Nice when you can be at work and start and finish a 400 page book on a 12 hour shift! :laugh:

If you like Flynn, Lee Child and John Sandford may turn your crank, too.

Been re-reading the Flynn books, because I know I missed some, and just finished The Third Option. Currently reading "Die Trying" by Child. Prior to these it was three of the Brad Thor books, with "The Westies" from the CP Book Pass thrown in there too.

Just finished off Snow Crash, by Neal Stephenson. Re-reading; I last picked it up about five years ago, after a college prof recommended it.

NA Basic Text. There is always something I can relate to in that text.

Brian

1. Without Remorse

10. Rainbow Six

That's it. That's all you need to know. My two personal favorites from Mr. Clancy's library. Nothing, repeat, NOTHING will ever top those two for me.

Last Sunday, an old salty patroldog walked up to me and said, "You're doin' good kid. Now don't fuck it up..." and handed me this book. He walked away and said, "Everything you need to know is in there..."

The_New_Centurions_by_Joseph_Wambaugh.jpg

"The novel is basically without plot, instead episodically depicting the psychological changes in three LAPD officers caused by the stresses of police work, and particularly police work in minority communities of Los Angeles. The three officers—Serge Duran, Gus Plebesly, and Roy Fehler—are classmates at the police academy in the summer of 1960, and the novel examines their lives each August of succeeding years, culminating in their on-the-job reunion during the Watts Riot of August 1965."

Three words: Good fuckin' book. I believe I owe that man a brew... :whistling:

Finally bit the bullet and started reading the Harry Potter books. Light reading, but I can see why they're so popular.

Just finished off Snow Crash, by Neal Stephenson. Re-reading; I last picked it up about five years ago, after a college prof recommended it.

Great book! It's in my queue for a winter re-read.

Just got done with "Term Limits" by Vince Flynn. Getting ready to open up "The Broker" by John Grisham now.