• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What is the hype about Cuban cigars?

Naw, that's not what I meant. Sorry my advice was incomplete, but MMM gave you the rest of the 411. Advanced search is WAY better than Basic.

We LIKE new cigar smokers! It means the passion is alive and growing . . . but when you're new, it's easy to just type a question every time it occurs to you, and . . . well, multiply that X1000 and I'm sure you see where that could get a little old for the more experienced members here (or anywhere).

There's SO much good info here! Take a little time to ferret it out and you WON'T be sorry!

Best way to participate when you're new is to read the archives, and join existing threads rather than starting ones that have, frankly, just been done to death. There's a LOT of opportunities to get involved in the conversations here. Don't think you have to start your own threads just to talk to us! And definitely check out the Newbie Sampler!

~Boar

Actually, there are only about 1,000 threads with great info in them, the other 60k threads are questions from newbies like me who can't figure out how to make the search function their bitch! :laugh:

Actually, there are only about 1,000 threads with great info in them, the other 60k threads are questions from newbies like me who can't figure out how to make the search function their bitch! :laugh:

Yeah, in the days before the upgrade, there used to be a Google search bar I used for searching, but that's since gone now. Now, I just make sure to use "quotes" or the Advanced Search Function, or T36 would never get anything done around here.

I enjoy Cuban and non Cuban cigars. I prefer Cubans most of the time. And no, it isn't because of the "hard to get theory" Cubans just have a different taste to them. I still enjoy Nicaraguans, etc. as well.

Great advise but I think you mean "Search Posts Only" box.

No, I meant "Search titles only" . If the keywords are strong, it is more effective and focused than searching 974,000 posts.
Aha! Thank you for the perspective, sir. I hadn't thought of it that way. Interestingly, being check boxes(not option boxes), they can both be selected. I've never tried that, either.

Let me just start off by saying I'm a noob...and when I say noob...I don't mean in the sense of being a noob to CP...I've only seriously been smoking cigars for a little over two years now. In that time I've smoked a whole helluva lot of cigars. Some good and some bad, most just okay, and a few that were stellar. While I've smoked more NCs than CCs, I began getting serious about CCs in my second year with cigars. Many just hit my sweetspot in terms of flavor and complexity - mind you I am a more medium bodied cigar smoker than full bodied...for me personally, I have an easier time picking our the nuances in flavor of a cigar when it isn't full on in my face as so many of the flavors are subtle. For me certainly there is a difference in taste, especially on the finish, between CCs and NCs...often call the Cuban Twang. I still smoke both CCs and NCs, depending on my mood I go through phases of smoking one type more than the other.

My passion for CCs does not lie in the difficulty in obtaining them. Actually, in this day and age if you trust your vendor, there are no issues with ordering CCs. In my case actually in NYC...NCs with the new tax hike coming on August 1st will make the majority of my favorite NCs even more expensive the CCs if I am buying from local B&Ms. That is another plus for CCs.

I would definitely suggest you give them a try, they may be for you, or they may not be. I have many cigar smoking friends that really couldn't be bothered with CCs as they prefer cigars from Nicaragua or the Dominican Republic. To each his/her own...that is why I believe in smoking what you like, and liking what you smoke. You are the ultimate judge.

Good way to put it Dave. You need to try one to get a feeling for the Cuban twang. Put it side by side with an Opus or Padron, and you will notice the difference in aroma right away. Smoke one and you will find it nice and mellow, a nice relaxing smoke. I am finishing off a Mag 48, and could go take a nap right now :)

I've been serious abour cigars for at least 10 years. That being said I just started getting into Cubans in the last year or so. I find myself grabing them more and more when I'm looking thru the humi for something to smoke. It has nothing do do with the thrill of the hunt for me. They just have a taste and flavor you don't find in non-Cubans. I tend to run into construction/burn issues more often in Cubans, but when they're on they are excellent. I'm certainly not ready to give up my non-Cubans. They have a taste and flavor all their own that I enjoy also. There's room for cigars from multiple countries in my humidor.

Another thing that feeds the "hype" factor is the issue of aging. Sure many folks age NCs, but; it's like apples and oranges. Some Cubans don't reach their true potential until after several years and then you have many "serious" collectors storing and buying much older Cubans. So there is an aspect to them that is unique and tends to favor the more affluent, as well.

Another thing that feeds the "hype" factor is the issue of aging. Sure many folks age NCs, but; it's like apples and oranges. Some Cubans don't reach their true potential until after several years and then you have many "serious" collectors storing and buying much older Cubans. So there is an aspect to them that is unique and tends to favor the more affluent, as well.

Cubans are easier to get here in Canada. So I have been givin a couple a gander. But the idea of a cigar "needing" to be aged.. kind of rubs me the wrong way. Even this early in the game I'm of the smokem if you gottem mentality.

Cubans are easier to get here in Canada. So I have been givin a couple a gander. But the idea of a cigar "needing" to be aged.. kind of rubs me the wrong way. Even this early in the game I'm of the smokem if you gottem mentality.

I certainly think tht ideally a cigar smokes great ROTB, but I think part of the reason that Cuban cigars require aging is economic...it has nothing to do with stoking the collecting fires of the wealthy. Simply Cuba is a poor country and tobacco while not its largest export still contributes a couple hundred million to the country's GDP. They simply don't have the economic resources or flexibility to properly age the tobacco leaf, as say the Padron, Fuente or Oliva families do. Therefore when their cigars hit the market, the leaves have often not reached their full potential. That isn't to say that many of the cigars are not great when fresh, but so many more have greater potential over time.

One of the best cigars I've ever had was an RyJ churchill CC with five years of age on it . . . in general, I don't have that kind of patience (or storage) and like a very full-bodied smoke, so with a very few exceptions, I'll take an NC over a CC any day.

BUT! . . . that was one silky smooth dream of a cigar, that was. :love:

~Boar

In my limited experience, cuban cigars that are smoked within the first year can be very tasty. Generally speaking, if you want to go to that next level of flavor and finesse, aging is required. Some will tell you if you smoke certain cigars before there are 10 years of age on them, you are wasting the cigar. While this maybe true, not everyone has the stock or storage to do this. So do what you can and enjoy the cigars, wherever they come from.

To the OP, all you have to do is read a review from KingAntz when he enjoys a cc, and it will make your mouth water. His Reviews