• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What is your go to brand?

MrPerfecto

After smoking cigars well over a decade and trying anything and everything I could get my hands on. I have come to a conclusion. Oliva stands out over all other brands I have smoked. In terms of consistency of performance and flavor there is nothing better IMO. When I say this I am not referring to one particular cigar they make. Whenever I light up an Oliva I know what to expect and my expectations are always met. A single draw with tons of smoke, flavor that stands out and I don't have to search for, and a near perfect performance every time. With that being said, what is your go to brand?

Interestingly enough, Oliva is about the one marca that I do not care for. I've tried. I really have. Oliva is just not for me. The Master Blend III wasn't too bad, but I don't think I've ever been able to finish any other "traditional" blend from them. I know it's a personal thing, as Oliva is a favorite of just about everyone, but it's just something about their blends that I'm put off by, and I don't know what exactly it is. They aren't bad cigars, as it were, they are just not for me.

*EDIT*

To answer the question, Pepín Blue are cigars that never, ever let me down. As for marca, I was really liking just about everything that Jose Fernandez was putting out recently.

Padron (1964)
Tatuaje (Brown band)
Fuente (Anejo/OpusX/Don Carlos)

Also Aging Room (Nicaragua) is becoming close to a go to as well.

P.S.

I have also tried numerous Oliva’s and have tried to like them, but for some reason, they just don’t do anything for me.

My go to smoke for over a decade now has been the San Cristobal Fabuloso. Everything I look for in cigar, perfect nearly every time.

Others in regular rotation here are My Father The Judge, Tatuaje Verocu, Ashton Symmetry & VSG, Illusione Ultra, and of course any Opus X or God of Fire I can get my hands on. 😏

~Boar

My go to smoke for something that's easily found would be the Oliva Serie V Melanio.

After that, it's be a four way tie between a Davidoff Millennium, My Father The Judge, Opus X, and Olmec.

Last edited:
I am a bit the opposite of everyone. As a new smoker (2 years), I’ll literally smoke about anything once, just to expand my palate and knowledge.

Before I came here, I can honestly say that I had never smoked the same cigar twice in one week. Since I joined CP, thanks to the generosity of the brotherhood here, I can say that I have only smoked a handful of cigars that I have ever had before. Every night is a new adventure, with a stick that I have not had before. In fact, most nights I am smoking a cigar that I had never even heard of before! I have learned more here in a few months than I ever would have learned on my own in at least several years.

For all of that and much more, I humbly say, thank you gentlemen…

Used to be a steady diet of Monti #2 and Parti SP2, but for obvious reasons it’s now it’s a lot of Tat’s and Fuente’s
Mine used to be Monte #4, but not so much anymore for the same reason. I was on a steady diet of Fuente 858 (SG when I could find them, but usually the natural). For the last couple of years I seem to always have a box of the AJ Fernandez New World box-pressed maduros around. Very solid and consistent stick IMO.

3 years in, there are probably 10+ brands that get most of my attention/$$. Dunbarton is probably my favorite, but they are getting pricey in general for me. As of late, I've been enjoying either the Illusione MJ's or a few from My Father. Then there are several brands I haven't got a feel for yet. I guess I'll be able to give you a better answer in 7 years, lol. If anyone wins the lottery and wants to give me a lifetime supply of Mag 54's, that would be acceptable.

Just going on a brand as a whole, I think Black Label Trading Co. has been the most consistent for me. I haven’t been disappointed by any of their lines and the taste, performance, and construction are always on point. Foundation, Tatuaje, and Caldwell are also right up there.

I think of Oliva as the cilantro of the cigar world. There's people like me, who can't get enough cilantro. Then there's people who like it well enough. Then you have people who think it literally tastes like soap and don't understand how people like it at all.

That said, as far as a favorite brand, singular, if I could only smoke from one portfolio forever, it would be Tatuaje. Hands down. Didn't even have to think about it for 2 seconds... and I include CCs in my answer too.

PLUS, Pete Johnson is the best, all-around, cigar brand owner I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.. many times. Followed closely by Glen Case, owner of Kristoff. And while I'm at it, rounding out my Top 5, third goes to Rocky Patel, 4th to Nick Perdomo, and a close 5th is Dion Giolito, Illusione owner.

Dead LAST... a tie between Jonathan Drew and Steve Saka.

Interestingly enough, Oliva is about the one marca that I do not care for. I've tried. I really have. Oliva is just not for me. The Master Blend III wasn't too bad, but I don't think I've ever been able to finish any other "traditional" blend from them. I know it's a personal thing, as Oliva is a favorite of just about everyone, but it's just something about their blends that I'm put off by, and I don't know what exactly it is. They aren't bad cigars, as it were, they are just not for me.

*EDIT*

To answer the question, Pepín Blue are cigars that never, ever let me down. As for marca, I was really liking just about everything that Jose Fernandez was putting out recently.

Did you ever end up trying the Monticello by Oliva? I remember that you don't like Oliva.. and someone else didn't either, especially the Serie V, and I recommend trying the Monticello, and someone else did too (Ed? @Pugman1943). But the person ended up really liking the Monticello.. and from there, the MB3.

I'm thinking... @Hixs maybe? Wait... why isn't Hixs coming up when I tag him.. where did..

Did he take that giant bomb and dip?? Lol

Unless.. did I miss something? 🤔🤷‍♂️

ETA: Nm.. now he's showing up.. just been MIA for a spell apparently..

Like quite a few, I used to have VR Famosos, SD4, Epi1&2, JL1, PLPC, etc in my daily rotation...

Post thermonuclear price explosion, I find myself reaching for
Rojas
Warped
Illusione
Dunbarton
Tatuaje
Plasencia
EPC

...and probably a few I'm forgetting at the moment...

Just going on a brand as a whole, I think Black Label Trading Co. has been the most consistent for me. I haven’t been disappointed by any of their lines and the taste, performance, and construction are always on point. Foundation, Tatuaje, and Caldwell are also right up there.

Literally what I was going to say.