• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What Regions Make the Strongest Tobacco?

Rope a Dope

If you have to rank which regions made the strongest tobaccos, which would it be? Or is this a way more nuanced question?

Right now, I'm thinking something like this:
  1. Honduras
  2. Nicaragua
  3. Ecuador
  4. USA
  5. Dominican Republic
  6. Mexico
I know there are missing regions like Africa, Costa Rica, Cuba, and Indonesia, I was just trying to hit the most popular.

While I agree with Jon's above post, it would be interesting what effects the soil has on the primings. Do certain regions product a more complex profile in their primings? Makes me think of the CC's and their regions and the different notes you find?

LFD doesn't locally grow all of the tobacco they use (but the articles I read where they talked of sourcing tobacco were years old) so they may not be strong Dominicans of Dominican tobacco, per se. I was apprehensive before I smoked my 1st LFD, but they haven't had any nic sick effects on me at all. I like them a lot, double ligeros and all.

I like this thread, great topic. I don't have enough knowledge to speak about regional strengths but I would vote for Dominican. Mostly for the factories there and the power they pack.

Aside from genetics, heavy amounts of nitrogen in the soil, "topping" the plants and lots of sun produce more nicotine. As previously stated, the highest primings will contain the most.

Never really thought about this, but when I think of hard hitters I think of AF XXX AKA Power Ranger or LFD, both are Dominican.
I would agree. The last two cigars that turned me green were Dominican. Power ranger and MCW (that one caught me off guard). The MCW has an Ecuadorian wrapper but the binder/filler is predominately Dominican.

Though I agree the priming makes the biggest difference, most of the heavy hitters I think of are comprised of mostly Dominican tobacco.

I would say Honduran and Dominican. When I think Honduran - Punch, La Gloria Cubana, Camacho. Dominican - LFD, Fuente,

In Nicaraguan - joya de Nicaragua especially Antano had plenty of strength

To me Honduran tobacco has a smoky like flavor, which I don’t really enjoy.

If you notice the Fuente cigars that are the strongest suffer from tar build up. Is it the actual leaf or the fermentation process. This is especially prevalent in the Opus and Anejo and the darker wrapper Fuentes. The Joya de Nicaragua Anatano as mentioned before as a puro is one of the strongest cigars. While LFD with their Ecuadorian wrapper and Dominican ligero are a potent combination.

It's an interesting thought experiment, but I think your qualifier is right in that it's way too nuanced. Or rather too many variables at play. Strain of tobacco, primings, soil conditioning, locale within the country... hell, locale on a plot of land! How much rainfall did the region have that year? How long was it fermented? How many fermentations were done?

I'm sure there's way more variables that someone in the industry could also throw out there.

Hmmm, sounds like my question was misguided. I guess to really determine this, you would have to plant the same seed in each country (if that'll even take) and then allow for the same amount of sun, fertilizers and water, before comparing similar priming's. Damn, I don't think this is an answerable questions, haha!

I did however, get a nice list of cigars to try from this post. Are there any Power Rangers available anymore?