• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

what software do I need...

psyktek

Frugal Old Fart!
...access my system. I'm getting a lot of hits listed by Norton Security, and would like to know where they're coming from, if that's posssible, so I can notify the originating ISP.

Can this be done? :sneaky: :angry:

when Norton Security shows a hit you should be able to do a trace. That will give you the originating IP Address

psyktek said:
...access my system. I'm getting a lot of hits listed by Norton Security, and would like to know where they're coming from, if that's posssible, so I can notify the originating ISP.

Can this be done? :sneaky: :angry:
On MacOS X or any Unix system (Linux, etc.) you can just use the built-in traceroute command (there's a GUI shell for that in /Applications/Utilities on MacOS X)

On Windows, you'll need a third party tool to do the traceroutes -- you can try one from here:

http://labmice.techtarget.com/Utilities/traceroute.htm

Odds are very good that this is either a false alarm, or it is someone's machine that is infected with a virus that is trying to breach your computer without the owner's knowledge.

Thanks for the help guys! Now if I could just get Norton to block these suckers automatically so I don't have to tell it to block each one. (Yes, I know this should be possible, but I haven't been able to figure it out yet. Since I'm NOT on a network, I should just be able to tell it to block all other systems, but it doesn't seem to be working. :( )

psyktek...

Personally as a 'Internet Professional' I would reccommend ZoneAlarm for a personal firewall product. Been having bad experience of Norton Internet Security actually blocking good products. (my Online Education software for one!!) Norton makes a great Anti-Virus... I just dont like anything that is all-in-one, best of nothing.

Also as a popup blocker it is mediocre at best. Its better to modify your Windows 'HOSTS' file to block ad and popup sites en-masse.

Combined with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware your covered on all fronts against internet spam. :thumbs:

--All products mentioned are in no way associated with me, my university, or any possible way of being a profit towards them-- :sign:

Windows XP and 2000 have a trace route program built in. Just go to a command prompt and time tracert x.x.x.x (where the x.x.x.x is the IP address).

If you want to simple know who's listed as the owner of the IP address you can use this web site: http://network-tools.com

Cheers,

AJ

PS.

I like ZoneAlarm but it does interfer with running Mozilla browsers so be careful.

In the options for Norton, you should be able to uncheck the option to show a notice everytime a potential intrusion is detected. The wording differs by product and version, but is along the lines of the above.

ZoneAlarm makes a good product, and the built-in firewall in WindowsXP isn't too shabby when configured properly. Personally, I dislike most of Norton's firewall and antivirus products. They are too intrusive on system memory and CPU time. Just MHO...