• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What torch lighter should I get?

I have a Tiger lighter with a built-in punch at the end. Not bad. Hasn't broken yet.

That said, any lighter is going to either break or be lost; some are better, some are worse, all are doomed. You're essentially buying a fashion accessory. If a nice-looking, expensive ligher is what floats your boat, great. If a Ronson jetlite is good enough, also great. If you like old-school wooden matches and a free cutter, nobody is going to look down on you for it.

Bic :thumbs: There cheep, light every time, and if you lose it or break it who cares. Wind is the only killer with them.
I just don't see the need for a 10,000 degree torch to char the end of a cigar.
I am pretty sure Bics are a no no. Lighter fluid will add flavor, while butane lighters do not. I could be wrong but this is what I remember reading.
i think some Bics are butane, i'm probably wrong.

You're right, they are butane. Zippos the only real lighter that still use lighter fluid.

Though Zippos still use lighter fluids, they have butane lighters (called zippo blu. http://www.zippocasemuseum.com/index.aspx?...rl=productlist) that are lifetime guarantee I have one great investment.

David

I have an old fashioned Zippo lighter fluid unit that was given to me by a fine BOTL here. I bought a butane insert (about $12). It holds a quite a bit of fuel and works great. But you do need a Zippo shell.

Ken

I just went to walmart supercenter and they didn't have the ronson jetlite. the checkout girl said someone was in asking for them yesterday and she said they sell out as soon as they get more in. so then I went to win dixie and they don't carry them at all. last stop I went to CVS pharmacy and they had two left, both silver color. the price tag was $2.99 but at the register said $4.49 so the manager sold them to me for the listed price of $2.99. 2 lighters for 6.37 total, score for me!

Cool deal. Maybe you could do a short review in the near future. I really think they are not given enough credit for their reliability and appearance in relation to their price. I prefer the looks of the dark gray ones with grooves on their sides, but I'll take any of 'em in a heartbeat.

Cool deal. Maybe you could do a short review in the near future. I really think they are not given enough credit for their reliability and appearance in relation to their price. I prefer the looks of the dark gray ones with grooves on their sides, but I'll take any of 'em in a heartbeat.
I might do that after I've used them for at least a month. CVS has the ronson butane but I heard its not good quality and it cost $3.50, the can was a little smaller then a beer bottle. I thought the lighters would come empty but I guess they are full.

In my experience, Ronson butane is crap. Lots of people love Lava, which somewhat recently reentered the market, but that's a teensy pricey. Vector is pretty damn good for the price. I use Vector butane. Not so much Vector lighters...

In my experience, Ronson butane is crap. Lots of people love Lava, which somewhat recently reentered the market, but that's a teensy pricey. Vector is pretty damn good for the price. I use Vector butane. Not so much Vector lighters...
Thanks for all the help, I would have never known about ronson jetlite. Where can I buy vector butane?

Okay, here's the skinny. For many accessory purchases, here are three companies run by individuals who are cigar enthusiasts and are generally well known and well regarded on the cigar boards. They're not always the absolute cheapest, but they are never known to fail in providing unsurpassed customer service.

Cigarmony
Heartfelt Industries
Cigar Solutions

After a quick check, it appears that only Cigarmony of the three companies above have Vector fuel listed for sale. Here is Vector fuel. I found a couple of other sites which have it for a buck or two cheaper, but, again, you'll have to choose between demonstrated excellent customer service and some untried company. It's your dollar and it's your choice. FWIW, I bought mine as a case of 12 cans a couple of years ago for really cheap on eBay.

Rod, the site owner and administrator of this cigar board, also runs a store which has a link at the top of the board page. Also a very good choice. I did not see Vector fuel in his store listing. If you continue along in this hobby, it is very likely you will end up making purchases from any or all of these companies - and gladly do so. Frankly, if there is no or little difference in price, I choose to go with the products sold by these fellow cigar enthusiasts - and I'm gladly willing to go a buck or two above average cost. Support your fellow enthusiast when it makes sense to do so. This being Rod's forum, maybe give his store first crack when it's a neck and neck decision.

I've been using one of those cheap Ronson lighters off an on for about 6 months. It doesn't put out a flame as robust as a blazer, but I only gave 3 bucks for it. I would definitely buy another.

I have a Blue Rhino triple flame torch---built in punch, lifetime warranty, costs less than $30, appears to be virtually indestructible. Hasn't let me down once in over a year of heavy use.

Bit on the ugly side, but it's a great lighter.

CIGAR-LIGHTER-CUTTER-LIGHTERS-BLUE-RHINO.jpg

~Boar

You could do what I did and zoom into the products that have a lifetime warranty, like Xikar and Palio (which is an excellent cutter). For those companies to stand behind their products 100% and offer a lifetime warranty tells a great deal about the quality of their goods.

Sure, you could go cheap and old fashioned, but you will be sacrificing a lot of convenience in the process. Cheap cutters leave annoying bits at the head and matches take an age to light a cigar (especially in any wind). Rather than filling a drawer with broken lighters, get a lighter that will be replaced when it breaks. Then you can use the drawer for other things. :D

You could do what I did and zoom into the products that have a lifetime warranty, like Xikar and Palio (which is an excellent cutter). For those companies to stand behind their products 100% and offer a lifetime warranty tells a great deal about the quality of their goods.

Sure, you could go cheap and old fashioned, but you will be sacrificing a lot of convenience in the process. Cheap cutters leave annoying bits at the head and matches take an age to light a cigar (especially in any wind). Rather than filling a drawer with broken lighters, get a lighter that will be replaced when it breaks. Then you can use the drawer for other things. :D
I fully agree with you, and I think a regular cigar smoker should strongly consider purchasing at least one lighter and cutter with respective lifetime warranties. But one must also consider replacement cost for lost items. Lighters and cutters are small accessory items notorious for getting lost - even if only temporarily so. There is no warranty for losing stuff.

The original poster, as evidenced in this thread and his small count humidor thread, appears to be seeking economic baby steps into this hobby. I agree with that prudence. He won't have spent and wasted much cash if he does not progress in this hobby. If he does continue forward in this hobby, he'll have accumulated accessories which would serve him well in the future as travel gear (or work/vacation home/"mooch" stash) when replaced by upgraded items for regular use.