• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What was the best cigar you ever smoked?

This is such an impossible question to answer... was it my first Padron 1926 Serie #2, smoked with great company after Thanksgiving dinner in '05? Was it the same cigar three years later after the birth of my daughter? Of course it was both... and neither... maybe it's the LFD Salomon I'm smoking right now? Maybe my first Monte #2? Was it my first Ashton VSG Torpedo, after a long day working C-130 flight scheduling in Kuwait? Possibly... that was a memorable smoke for sure. Maybe it was this one:

gallery_7985_1339_48085.jpg

It was my first rotation as a slick C-130 aircraft commander in late 2005. I had just gotten into cigars, and we had done a Baghdad-Jordan run. In our ground time in Jordan, I ran into the terminal and hit the duty-free shop, which of course had a humidor full of Habanos. I'd like to think the Siglo IIs (that's the one I'm smoking, the dude on the left) and Monte #3s I picked up were legit, but I have no idea now. It doesn't really matter. We also had Padron 2000s and Thomson Iguanas. The important thing is the post-flight ritual our crew developed. After almost every flight, we'd sit down at the smoke pit for cigars and coffee/bottled water/coke/whatever. It was a bit of civility after a punishing 18+ hour day of flying our posteriors off in the sandbox. Even though we were away from our loved ones and our homes, the cigar smoking ritual offered a refuge. I'll always love cigars for this. I don't think the cigar, in the final summation, matters as much as the overall experience.

What in hell do they feed you Birdmen, anyway?
laugh.gif

Doc.

What in hell do they feed you Birdmen, anyway?
laugh.gif

Doc.

It varies, but there's always a lot of it... like one of my old sailor friends used to say, "d@mned aircrews... you eat until you're tired, then you sleep until you're hungry!" :laugh:

I just copied of all of these and now have a 39 cigar wish list!

(I decided to forego the White Owl recommendations) :D

My cigar experience is far more limited than many of you, but so far the best was a Padilla Miami Churchill.

A VERY close second was the DPG Vegas Cubanas last Thursday night.

padron millennium maduro, at the 08 padron outlaw event. smoking that cigar was cigar nirvana.

I don't think I can say any one cigar was the best I ever smoked. However, I can recall a Cohiba DC EL 03 as well as an Esplendido 05 being right there at the top. Then I came acroos a box of Boli No. 2 I believe from 06 that was the original fall into my Boliwhoredness. I never hold onto cigars as I love smoking them too much, but I sure wish I had kept a few of those just to smoke every so often.

A Davi 3000 that absolutely ruined me ... been searching to replicate that experience ever since.

The first original blend El Triunfador I had was mind blowingly good. These are still easily my favorite cigars.

Code:
This is such an impossible question to answer... was it my first Padron 1926 Serie #2, smoked with great company after Thanksgiving dinner in '05? Was it the same cigar three years later after the birth of my daughter? Of course it was both... and neither... maybe it's the LFD Salomon I'm smoking right now? Maybe my first Monte #2? Was it my first Ashton VSG Torpedo, after a long day working C-130 flight scheduling in Kuwait? Possibly... that was a memorable smoke for sure. Maybe it was this one:

gallery_7985_1339_48085.jpg

It was my first rotation as a slick C-130 aircraft commander in late 2005. I had just gotten into cigars, and we had done a Baghdad-Jordan run. In our ground time in Jordan, I ran into the terminal and hit the duty-free shop, which of course had a humidor full of Habanos. I'd like to think the Siglo IIs (that's the one I'm smoking, the dude on the left) and Monte #3s I picked up were legit, but I have no idea now. It doesn't really matter. We also had Padron 2000s and Thomson Iguanas. The important thing is the post-flight ritual our crew developed. After almost every flight, we'd sit down at the smoke pit for cigars and coffee/bottled water/coke/whatever. It was a bit of civility after a punishing 18+ hour day of flying our posteriors off in the sandbox. Even though we were away from our loved ones and our homes, the cigar smoking ritual offered a refuge. I'll always love cigars for this. I don't think the cigar, in the final summation, matters as much as the overall experience.

Well said Barry...great post.

R

Cigars to me are only part of the equation when you have an experience. I can distinctively remember one particular time when I was on a pier in Port Washington NY, waiting for a buddy who was late to go out on his boat. This was back in 1988. The smell of the breeze of the ocean around LI is unique. Sun was out, lit a RyJ churchill isom and it was just sooo sublime. I just sat back and made my buddy wait till I finished it before we went out. So for me if I had to recall 1, it was that RyJ churchill. G1

It's been a year or two, but I've seen this same question posted before. I answered the question then the same way I'll answer it today; I haven't smoked it yet - that's what makes this hobby so great!

I read through this thread before answering, and something strikes me that I'm not sure I noticed before. It seems that a large percentage - perhaps even the majority - have an experience tied to their best cigar ever. I've always believed that when you buy a cigar, you're not just purchasing tobacco - but also the time you must carve out of life to enjoy that cigar. I find the experiences tied to the cigars in this thread infinitely more interesting than the cigars themselves. Great thread.

So I've been thinking about this one for a while, and for now I am going with a Davidoff No. 2 Tubo. It was 2 years ago and I light it up on the golf course with my Bro, a good friend, and my Father-in-law right after I had asked him if I could marry his daughter. Definitely a great smoke and a great memory.

Have had many a great cigar.....fortunately.

Some of my favorites have been:

100th Anni Davidoff Robo - love this stick!

Casa Fuente CG - the cameroon wrapper makes this cigar.....Opus should be wrapped in Cameroon....but I guess it wouldn't be a puro then. :)

Davi Chat. Latour - 85 - smoked on my honeymoon - quite nice!

Davi # 1 - late 80's.......smoked upon my sister's graduation....very nice! white pepper on this one with good complexity.

Have a couple VSG ER's....never smoked one....will let you guys know!

Have had many a great cigar.....fortunately.

Some of my favorites have been:

100th Anni Davidoff Robo - love this stick!

Casa Fuente CG - the cameroon wrapper makes this cigar.....Opus should be wrapped in Cameroon....but I guess it wouldn't be a puro then. :)

Davi Chat. Latour - 85 - smoked on my honeymoon - quite nice!

Davi # 1 - late 80's.......smoked upon my sister's graduation....very nice! white pepper on this one with good complexity.

Have a couple VSG ER's....never smoked one....will let you guys know!

So hard to pick the very best, but I hate to say it would probably be the Cohiba Gran Reserva. My local B&M bought a box of 'em and arranged a dinner at a furniture store for a select few of us that frequent the store. My good buddy and I bought a ticket, and everybody who came brought a good bottle of whisky (and there were some very good bottles there) and we bullshitted and laughed through of the night. The cigar was almost perfect and constantly drew my attention away from the conversation with its complexity and finesse. It was a great night.

Oliva Serie G Maduro last night while talking to my 2yr old over the Sat Phone... normally because of her age she doesn't want to do anything but say hi to me... last night she sang me every song she knew...and some that I'm pretty sure weren't songs until that moment :eek:) But I wouldn't have traded anything for that since I haven't seen her since January.

Don't know how the guys from WWII did a whole 4+ yrs away from their families with only sporadic letters catching up to them... thank god for technology!

Cheers,

R

Oliva Serie G Maduro last night while talking to my 2yr old over the Sat Phone... normally because of her age she doesn't want to do anything but say hi to me... last night she sang me every song she knew...and some that I'm pretty sure weren't songs until that moment :eek:) But I wouldn't have traded anything for that since I haven't seen her since January.

Don't know how the guys from WWII did a whole 4+ yrs away from their families with only sporadic letters catching up to them... thank god for technology!

Cheers,

R

Rob, that sounds great. I hope you'll get to see your little girl soon. Like I said, it's all about the experience... but the Serie G Maduro is a great smoke in its own right.

Rob, that sounds great. I hope you'll get to see your little girl soon. Like I said, it's all about the experience... but the Serie G Maduro is a great smoke in its own right.
[/quote]

Little less than three weeks and a wakeup and then I ride a Herky Jerk out of here to catch the freedom Bird Home from the Deid.

Looking forward to Hugging the girls, throwing the ball for the dog, and having an Adult Beverage with a Padron 1926 that's been aging in my humi at home for the last couple years... It'll be a good day.

Cheers Barry,

R