• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What was this guy doing?!

James4226c

Tuba Player
I was sitting on the beach today with a few friends and saw a gentlemen smoking a cigar on a bench a few yards behind us. I saw that his cigar began to cone and the way that he corrected it was smashing that sucker flat against the bench :0. Is this a known/accepted way to correct coning? 

I use water or spit on the side that's burning fast to slow it down. That and a touch up or 2 with my lighter usually corrects the problem.

I think it's an old school trick cigarette smokers tend to do in windy areas, I know I used to be conscious of my ash flying off and landing in somebodys lap or clothes so I would rub the expended ash on something low and sturdy. Could be something he learned to do from so many years of smoking cigars outside.

Are you talking tunneling? I wasn't aware that coning needed to be corrected.

I kind of like it better than if it burns too flat. Seems to burn more evenly that way.

My best smoking buddy likes to roll the tip of his cigar around in the ashtray and he will push down on the tip to get it flattened out and round. Hes always done this... I don't but I like watching him work his cigar to get the cherry the way he wants.

That's called teaching the cigar a lesson. I don't let any cigar get away with that kind of behavior. If it does...smash!

As I understand it the cone is caused by the ligero in the center burning slower than the rest of the filler, a big cone is one sign of a quality stick.

As I understand it the cone is caused by the ligero in the center burning slower than the rest of the filler, a big cone is one sign of a quality stick.

Or more likely that your cigar has way too much moisture in it.

The cone is sometimes referred to as the ligero cone. Ligero burns slower than other tobaccos thus a cone will form.Here is a pic of a LFD Cameroon Cabinets that I had. Conned the whole way smooth and was a terrific smoke.

CB_008.jpg

Shameless plug: The whole review is here.

BTW its not a bad thing and does not need to be corrected.

Leave the ash on if you find yourself tempted to get rid of the cone.