• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What would you bring to dinner?

MadMonk

I'm a pretty good Italian cook. You've been invited to my house for a big dinner. What are you bringing?

(if you're italian, this has been deeply ingrained into your psyche. Don't know about other cultures.)

I'd bring either an Altamura Negroamaro or Nebbiolo if I was looking for something local, otherwise maybe a nice Barolo. I also love bringing my homemade pies to dinner parties :D

I think it's the same in most cultures. It's the polite thing to do. Wine, port, scotch, apitzer or desert. Maybe a some handmade gift the wife's been creating or even a nice cigar if the host partakes.

This is easy...Tenuta dell'Ornellaia Masseto 2010 - 2 bottles - My favorite with Italian food...

This is easy...Tenuta dell'Ornellaia Masseto 2010 - 2 bottles - My favorite with Italian food...

I've never had that particular one, although I've read about it. Very highly regarded.

I'd bring either an Altamura Negroamaro or Nebbiolo if I was looking for something local, otherwise maybe a nice Barolo. I also love bringing my homemade pies to dinner parties :D

Nice! These type wines are my Mother's favorites.

I have 2008, 2010 and 2012, and they are all great... The 2010 is the best by far, but the 2012 is catching up fast...

I have 2008, 2010 and 2012, and they are all great... The 2010 is the best by far, but the 2012 is catching up fast...

I think I read about the 2011. Something like getting over 100 points.

I think it's the same in most cultures. It's the polite thing to do. Wine, port, scotch, apitzer or desert. Maybe a some handmade gift the wife's been creating or even a nice cigar if the host partakes.

In my family, we were not supposed to ask what was being cooked (I think it gave the cook an out if something crashed) And if wine, just ask red or white.

No I grew up in an Italian neighborhood an learned real quick when going to dinner you better be hungry!!!!

Truth be told, my maternal grandmother was a fabulous cook. She would put out a hell of a spread for special occasions. She literally became quite thrilled when the big eaters showed up. Other than the big dinners, the norm was every Sunday, a big pot of sauce, meatballs, braciole, vegetables. All her children and some of their family would visit her every Sunday. They came in, and got a plate, all day long. She really held the extended family together.

Last edited:
Yes, I heard the 2011 are amazing
I think I read about the 2011. Something like getting over 100 points.
Yes, I heard the 2011 were amazing, but I have not been lucky enough to find these...

They call it gravy!

There are so many affordable Italian wines. I really like the stuff coming from Sicily as afforable delicious wines.

For those people in my area Binends.com has amazing deals on good to great bottles if wine.

They call it gravy!

There are so many affordable Italian wines. I really like the stuff coming from Sicily as afforable delicious wines.

Never tried a Sicilian wine. They're the one's who started all this Gravy vs Sauce shenanigans! Truthfully, A Bolognese and "Sunday Gravy" (Ragu - with meats in it) started in the U.S.A. by Italians who were trying to learn english. They heard americans calling what americans put on meat "gravy". See, a time when immigrants, out of pride, wanted to learn English starting this whole damn mess. :D