• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's in your glass....2017

At the steakhouse I went to they had Orphan Barrel Rhetoric. It was good but at $30 a glass I didn't feel rich enough for a second glass.

B37545F4-40A9-4AAB-B8DC-EAAD734B413F.jpeg
We have a traveling scotch tasting group of 8 and last night was my turn. I have to say I liked the 15 year better than the 25. I thought the 25 was too strong and required too much water to smooth it out. Although the 25 had more of that smoke flavor than the 15, the 15 was, for lack of a better word, sweeter. Basically we all get two drinks from each bottle. Every one brings something to pick on so after tasting one from each bottle start to eat. The host always has other non acholic drinks for food and at least one additional bottle of something to sip when the tasting offering is finished. Good times and thankfully with eight guys there’s really not enough booze to put anyone over the edge.

Surprising to hear that a 25 year old needed to be "smoothed out". That kinda sucks.

Having a pour of a sample the big dick sent me. Can't remember what it was but the Joseph Magnus sounds about right. Tasty either way.

Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron with my son while series watching. Founder, Sam was on hand, too! Fantastic brown ale bottled in 2014.

Right now I'm finishing up my glass of wine from dinner still---Becker Vineyards 2016 Iconoclast Cabernet. Becker's Iconoclast range is my favorite among Texas wineries. I've never had a bad one.

~Boar

I've been on a bit of a blending kick. I find a bourbon that I feel is a bit soft in a area and I will incorporate other bourbons that have that profile. Once you get it dialed it it can be some phenomenal whiskey designed to your profile.

Right now I am drinking a 4R Single barrel. Added some Russell Reserve Single Barrel, Rebel Yell 10yo and a splash of angels envy rye. This is one phenomenal batch. The nose is incredible. I figure if Trey Zoeller Jeffersons can do their blending and barrel experiments and charge what they are, I can as well. For me I keep tweeking till I finsd something I really like and the results so far have been exceptional.

Last edited:
John E. Fitzgerald: Very Small Batch - Best bang for the buck Kentucky Bourbon! If you can find it, I'd recommend that you give it a try. Don't let the 92 proof scare ya. It's super smooth.

It's been a bunch of stuff over the past few weeks, and will only get worse as the holidays set it. But a few that I've been sipping on are:

Weller Reserve (Fantastic)
Weller Antique 107 (Amazing)
EH Taylor Rye (Always great)
Larceny (awful)
Clyde Mays Signature (decent, but not great)
Teeling (very tasty)
Willett Rye 3 year (Fabulous)

It's been a bunch of stuff over the past few weeks, and will only get worse as the holidays set it. But a few that I've been sipping on are:

Weller Reserve (Fantastic)
Weller Antique 107 (Amazing)
EH Taylor Rye (Always great)
Larceny (awful)
Clyde Mays Signature (decent, but not great)
Teeling (very tasty)
Willett Rye 3 year (Fabulous)

Not a fan of the Larceny? I tried it last week and thought it was worth the $35 price tag.

Not a fan of the Larceny? I tried it last week and thought it was worth the $35 price tag.

Not a fan at all. A friend recommended it, but I could barely get through it. Tasted like Wild Turkey to me.

Been drinking on these the past few months:

WhistlePig Single Barrel - Total Wine Exclusive (damn good)
WhistlePig Old World (wow)
George T Stagg Jr (always amazing)
Sazerac Rye (yum)
Aberlour 12yr (good)
Grangestone 12yr (surprisingly smooth for a $30 bottle)

Been drinking my batch of "poor mans Pappy". I have an affinity for aged wheaters. While not quite Pappy it is a damn fine blend.