• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's in your pipe today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still working through my first tin of Frog Morton. I'm almost there, just a few more bowls. I REALLY like this tobacco. I hope the next tobacco I try is this agreeable!

tap...tap...tap...Is this thing on? Testicles...testicles...1,2...3????

I've started on my 2 ozs.of Eric's Adirondack Series Old Lodge from pipesandcigars.com. It's pretty good. Very campfire-like aroma and quite flavorful. I think I'm a latakia kind of guy.

I've been working my way into a large pipe tobacco order from Smokingpipes.com (Thanks Mr. Wolf, for turning me onto this place.).

Today I smoked my first bowl of Escudo Navy De Luxe. A nice mild smoke, very easy on the tongue. Burned rather nicely, lots of smoke. Aroma was unremarkable. I liked it!

med_gallery_2054_378_17275.jpg

med_gallery_2054_378_66950.jpg

Anyone else tried this?

That looks very interesting, Tim. How do you deal with the disks? Is it like flake and you rub it out or do you just stack them in your pipe?

My first bowl after the head cold from hell: Pipeworks & Wilke No. 193. Pretty good mild English that I've liked in the past. I think I really needed something with a little more oomph! though. My tasters aren't all recovered yet. I guess I'll wait another week and see what happens. :(

Escudo tends to be a little tasteless for my palette...if you like a twist try three nuns

That looks very interesting, Tim. How do you deal with the disks? Is it like flake and you rub it out or do you just stack them in your pipe?

Well I didn't know what exactly to do with the disks. I just crumbled them a bit, formed them into a small bowl and tamped it into the bowl. It took two disks, to give me a about a 3/4 bowl full. Don't know if that is the proper method???

Escudo tends to be a little tasteless for my palette...if you like a twist try three nuns

Tasteless? I suppose that is another word for mild, however, it was perfect for a first thing in the morning smoke. :rolleyes:

I was able to get a couple of bowls in, head-cold be damned, over the weekend.

Smoked my 2nd bowl of Frog Morton on the Town, but I had trouble fully tasting it and it wasn't the revelation that the first bowl was. It also smoked REALLY wet. I don't think I'd ever seen dottle that wet before...

Last night I had a bowl of Gray Havens in my small Meer (in doors too!) and it was nice... Perhaps a little mild for my tastes, but I won't complain about anything that the wife lets me smoke inside!

This morning I continued my voyage into my new stash of tobacco.

If packaging counts for anything this tobacco is the best! :D

It is the Mac Baren No. 8 Limited Edition.

gallery_2054_378_19163.jpg

It comes in a fancy paperboard box, and then a beautiful wooden box with a gold foil bag etc, as shown below.

med_gallery_2054_378_31111.jpg

med_gallery_2054_378_31116.jpg

med_gallery_2054_378_14874.jpg

It is a Virginia, soft Cavendish /Burley mix.

med_gallery_2054_378_146643.jpg

It had an outstanding pre-light aroma, and a great texture. It tamped in very nicely and after a bit of fussing, burned very easily, and rather quickly. It had a huge amount of smoke, with a very nice aroma. It was mild, and just a very slight bit of sweetness on the tongue.

Overall, very nice mild smoke. I'd smoke it again. Enjoyable.

Wow! That looks great.

I over did it a bit yesterday, and smoked a bowl of Early Morning Pipe on my lunch, and then a bowl of Boswell's Northwoods when I got home from work. And I managed to torch my tongue on one of those bowls..

The EMP is perhaps my favorite go-to smoke from way-back-when. Can't go wrong with it. Though I did get soem funny looks from people in the park as I sat in my car and puffed on my cob.

The Northwoods was really tasty! I've been experimenting with the "German" or "frank's" packing method (http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze43wza/franck.html) of packing a bowl, and it seemed to work pretty well for the northwoods last night, though I smoked it in a new-ish pipe that may have added to my tongue-torching.

Wow! That looks great.

I over did it a bit yesterday, and smoked a bowl of Early Morning Pipe on my lunch, and then a bowl of Boswell's Northwoods when I got home from work. And I managed to torch my tongue on one of those bowls..

The EMP is perhaps my favorite go-to smoke from way-back-when. Can't go wrong with it. Though I did get soem funny looks from people in the park as I sat in my car and puffed on my cob.

The Northwoods was really tasty! I've been experimenting with the "German" or "frank's" packing method (http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze43wza/franck.html) of packing a bowl, and it seemed to work pretty well for the northwoods last night, though I smoked it in a new-ish pipe that may have added to my tongue-torching.

Glad you like the Northwoods. And thanks for the link, I'd never heard of that method. Will have to give it a try.

There is actually a you-tube video of the guy that developed this method explaining it in a very thick Austrian/German accent. Pretty amusing.

The only downfall is then stumbling onto the culture of gay pipe-fetish videos also on Youtube...

There is actually a you-tube video of the guy that developed this method explaining it in a very thick Austrian/German accent. Pretty amusing.

The only downfall is then stumbling onto the culture of gay pipe-fetish videos also on Youtube...

Thanks for the tip on the video, I'll have to check it out. It will take a while since I'm stuck on ISDN 128K speed.

LINKY

I tried a "Frank Fill" bowl of Boswell's Burley, just using the first link you posted. It certainly made a significant difference in burn and flavor. I need to perfect this technic. Who knew?

Glad you liked the Northwoods, John. I've never been bitten by it, but I puff pretty leisurely. I hardly ever get tongue bite at all.

The Frank method works very well for me. It's especially great with burley blends and cobs. I know some people use that method exclusively.

I'm looking forward to trying out my new Boswell tonight. Head cold be damned! :D

BoswellSitter1.JPG

Nice looking pipe! I'm definitely going to be ordering a Boswell as tomorrow is payday!

I imagine most of the bite was from the EMP, as I was outdoors in some wind and having a hell of a time keeping it lit. I think the northwoods on-top of the damaged tongue just exasperated the issue...

Glad you liked the Northwoods, John. I've never been bitten by it, but I puff pretty leisurely. I hardly ever get tongue bite at all.

The Frank method works very well for me. It's especially great with burley blends and cobs. I know some people use that method exclusively.

I'm looking forward to trying out my new Boswell tonight. Head cold be damned! :D

BoswellSitter1.JPG

Very nice Alan! Congrats! Where is the quarter? :D

So are you going to follow a rigid break-in regimen or just fire it up?

BoswellSitter1.JPG

Very nice Alan! Congrats! Where is the quarter? :D

So are you going to follow a rigid break-in regimen or just fire it up?

Thanks! I missed one in a previous update that was quite similar. I photoshopped the pic to what I wanted and boy did JM deliver! It's kind of hard to tell in the picture, but it has an oval shank and is a sitter. It's also a little darker than the pictures show, more of a dark burnt orange. It's exactly what I wanted. I'm sure it will smoke as good as it looks.

I'll just fire it up. That's what JM advised, so that's what I'll do. I do try to smoke only fairly neutral tobaccos in a new pipe for awhile, though. I've been using Butternut Burley from pipesandcigars.com and it seems to be working out. Breaking in other non-treated pipes is a slow process for me. I hate to see pipes just sit in the rack so I'm always going from one to another. Luckily, that means a good bit of rest between bowls for the briar. I've almost got my rack to the point that I want it, so things should even out quite nicely in the next year or so. Of course I'm sure I'll always find something else I just can't resist!

I started out just trying new stuff in cobs, but the briar is just too irresistible to me. I enjoy the cobs, but the briar is one of the reasons I smoke a pipe.

Well, the new pipe smokes quite nice! :)

The sweetness of the Butternut Burley came through loud and clear and the bowl never got more than just a tad warm. I think this is a keeper. :D

Snuck in a bowl of the "Black Gold" blend that I took out of the Boswell pass in my small Meer last night.

Super-mild with some sweetness and a hint of citrus and spice. Tasty, but I imagine it would be better in a BIG bowl.

Tried a bowl of FMOTT in my ancient cob on my lunch, but i don't think I packed it properly as I had a hell of a time keeping it lit and the flavors were very muted.

I'll try again tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.