• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's in your pipe today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried another bowl from my Balkan Sobranie pouch now that it's dried. Better but still not like I remembered the tin. Not as balanced.

Very dry Charing Cross in my Wessex Poker. This stuff is great when it's bone dry. Uneventful when fresh.

Very dry Charing Cross in my Wessex Poker. This stuff is great when it's bone dry. Uneventful when fresh.
I've been drying out everything I smoke lately with great results. Just letting a pack sit for an hour or so beforehand.

Tried it with Penzance last night - yep. :thumbs:

I can't afford cigars anymore so this pipe thing is working out great! :D

Steve

I've been drying out everything I smoke lately with great results. Just letting a pack sit for an hour or so beforehand.

So have you been packing the pipe, then letting it sit for a while before smoking it? Or just the amount needed to pack the pipe?

I was all set to try my first bowl of Squadron Leader and I couldn't draw air through my pipe that I had just smoked a couple of weeks ago. :angry:

It smelled so wonderful that I was really looking forward to setting it to fire. Looks like I'll have to do some reading on pipe maintenance.

yea, just run a pipe cleaner through everything and clear out the gunk. Also, be careful not to pack the bowl too tightly.

hope ya like it!

Another trick I did when I was learning and still packed things too tight was (prior to lighting) remove the stem and used my pipe tool with a reamer (long metal rod) and run into the bowl to make a bit of room. That usually helped it draw much better.

Trying some of McClellands bulk No. 710, Columbian Mocha right now. It's different. Not one of my favorite aromatics I have tried. Some serious tongue bite already and I am not a heavy puffer. May ditch this one half way through if it doesn't improve and move to my stand by of the moment...Frog Morton OTT, or I may open up my new tin of McClelland 221b Arcadia and see what that has to offer.

Edit: Ok, so the Columbian Mocha was a bust. I smoked it for about 5 minutes before dumping the bowl. There was already a puddle forming in the bottom of my briar after that short period of time! I may have to scrap this blend or mix it with something else that smokes drier. I'm not sure if I will put in the effort though. Maybe I'll try to dry it over night and see what happens.

So on I went. I pulled out the tin of Arcadia. I examined it for a few minutes thinking I should cellar it for longer, but then said screw it and popped open the seal. The aroma was very earthy, much like Frog Morton OTT, but with a little bit of a vinegar aroma. It is considered an oriental and is very light. The cut is shag which was fluffy and soft, but not overly moist. I probably could have smoked it straight from the tin but I let it air out for about 5 minutes before my patience ran thin. I packed my meerschaum and initiated the first light. This tobacco has verrrry similar characteristics to Frog Morton OTT, but I have to say it is slightly less spicy (some say this has Latakia in it, others say it does not, I detected none but my palate is not that experienced). In the absence of that spice it has a sweetness that is very pleasant and leaves a slight sugary coating on your lips. The room note is much less of an incense smell like latakias but is not bad at all. Think of that sweet burned marshmellow smell. The bowl I packed burned all the way to the bottom from my first light with only a few small crumbly bits that remained charred but not burned. I was surprised that this did not burn out, as I didn't let it dry out for very long. The ash was so light and fluffy it just fell out when I emptied the bowl after I finished. The smoke was very cool and never bit. I really enjoyed this blend. This tin date was from 2005 and it was the only one at my local B&M so I'm not sure when I'll get any more.

If you see Arcadia anywhere local, pick it up. I wouldn't go out of my way to order it online, it is just a tad too light. I'd prefer FMOTT to this, but it is a nice change of pace so that I don't become loathsome of the Frog too quickly. :laugh:

So have you been packing the pipe, then letting it sit for a while before smoking it? Or just the amount needed to pack the pipe?
It dries more quickly if it's sits unpacked. If it's a bit too much just brush it back in the tin/jar.

Tried it with Escudo today. Wow! Really brings out the Virginias.

Steve

First bowl of Penzance.

I took some out last night and let it sit overnight, b/c it felt a little damp. I packed it in my Great Dane Cob and it smoked like a champ.

First bowl of Penzance.

I took some out last night and let it sit overnight, b/c it felt a little damp. I packed it in my Great Dane Cob and it smoked like a champ.
Did you enjoy it?

I can't wait until I'm over this cold. We've had some very nice evenings the last few days that I haven't been able to take advantage of because of this head cold I've been fighting. :angry:

I haven't lit up my pipe in a few months....must just have gotten that seasonal feel for cigars and pipes. However, this morning when I woke up....it was almost as if the pipe was calling to me. First time in a long time that I have enjoyed a bowl of Frog Morton on the Town.

Had two bowls of Squadron Leader today. I didn't enjoy it as much as the Nightcap but I still liked it. I think if I continue to smoke it it will grow on me. I really enjoyed the room note of it.

On the ride to work had a small bowl of Black Vanilla which has become a very good first morning pipe and would go great with a cup of coffee, ride home was Carter Hall and Prince Albert 50/50 mix. Can't believe how much I like these mixed.

Have to say another bowl of Solani Virgina Flake with Perique. I really like this Virginian Perique or VaPer I guess some people call it.

Status
Not open for further replies.