• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's next for the Gators?

gatorsmg

Here Fishy, Fishy
I'm guessing that everyone knows that the University of Florida fired the entire football coaching staff Monday morning. Click Here for the press conference.

As a die hard and life long Gator fan, I think it was probably for the best. I don't necessarily think it was all Ron Zook's fault but it clearly wasn't working out. I can only imagine that any team with an almost entirely new coaching staff would struggle greatly, but for how long and to what extent?
I think the University ws waranted in their actions because:

The fans didn't really take to Zook because he wasn't Spurier AND was actually fired by Spurier years back.

The Gators were accustomed to winning games and being in the top ten if not top five for 12 years. Now our records have been 8-5 and we're not even ranked.

More often than not we were beating our rivals and winning bowl games. Now we can't even be certain that we'll beat unranked teams.

If I'm not mistaken, Zook has lost almost as many home games in 3 years that Spurier did in 12.

It's probably not fair to compare Zook to Spurier but the fact is that the current coaching staff couldn't ask for much more talent than what they have on the team and they're still not performing.

Spurier moved back to Gainesville about two months ago. He is of course a prospect for head coach and I think he'll take it. He's only in his late 50s and could have many more great seasons with the Gators. With the offensive players we have right now, Spurier could easily make the Gators a major contender again.

GO GATORS!!

If Spurrier decides to give a sh*t again... then yes, he would be great for Florida. But with that said, he probably won't go back. He would be facing the worst comparison possible... his own legacy.

We'll get through this Scott ;)

I thought it was kinda dumb to make the announcement now. I would like to see Spurier return but phishy makes an interesting point but I would still like to see him back.

GO GATORS!!

vewyphishy Posted
If Spurrier decides to give a sh*t again...

I'm guessing you think he doesn't give a $hit about the Gators because he left without warning at the end of the 2001 season. Of course (like all Gator fans) I was upset and felt let down by Spurier. In his defense, he was wanting to go pro for a while and we knew it was coming eventually. I think it would be wrong of us to never "allow" him to pursue his professional goals. I wish he made the announcement before the end of the seaseon or even before the season but in the end we would all still be upset. Some people say that he left the team weak but I disagree. Spurier left the team with Rex Grossman (a young heisman candidate), Ernest Grahm (a running back averaging almost 7 yards per carry) and a good group of receivers. I don't think the talent he left the team with could have been much better than it was (or at least not better enough to make a difference for Zook and his staff).

One thing I (and many I know) have always loved about Spurier is his passion for the Gators. He played for the Gators (heisman '66), was the head coach for the best 12 years we've had, and above all was the biggest Gator fan anywhere. As a fan I always knew no matter how bad I felt about a play or a loss, Spurier felt worse.

EDIT: I do however, agree that it will be a bit awkward when and if Spurier comes back. You're both right about having to live up to his own legacy, he will definitely have a lot of expectaions from EVERYONE (including himself) to live up to. Thankfully to Zook, we have a pretty talented team right now so hopefully that will help Spurier meet our expectations.

From what I hear, Urban Meyer from Utah (University of Utah) has the inside track on that job. People are saying it's his job to take if he wants to. What he set up at Bowling Green and now at Utah says a load about his coaching ability. Florida and the SEC are a natural match for this guy's philosophies.

We'll see.

M. Gipson

gatorsmg said:
I'm guessing you think he doesn't give a $hit about the Gators because he left without warning at the end of the 2001 season.
Actually, I was talking about football in general. He always looked and acted like he had somewhere better to be (like a golf course) than standing on the sidelines when he was coaching his last year at Florida, and subsequently during his entire tenure with the Redskins.

I wonder if he's just riding on his name and reputation now... ???

gawntrail said:
From what I hear, Urban Meyer from Utah (University of Utah) has the inside track on that job. People are saying it's his job to take if he wants to. What he set up at Bowling Green and now at Utah says a load about his coaching ability. Florida and the SEC are a natural match for this guy's philosophies.

We'll see.

M. Gipson
Hells Belles! I'm scared sh!tless this might really happen. I hope we (Runnin' Utes!) run the table and qualify for the BCS. If so there's a good chance Urban will stay put. Plus Utah may end up in the PAC-10 sooner then later so that gives me some hope.

Stay Urban, stay! :D

The university has already expressed its interest in Spurier and he has reciprocated. Apparently they gave Spurier two weeks to make a decision, so now it's negotiating time :D

lucasbuck said:
gawntrail said:

We'll see.

M. Gipson
Hells Belles! I'm scared sh!tless this might really happen. I hope we (Runnin' Utes!) run the table and qualify for the BCS. If so there's a good chance Urban will stay put. Plus Utah may end up in the PAC-10 sooner then later so that gives me some hope.

Stay Urban, stay! :D
Meyer's use of a runnin' QB is awesome. Lots of kids on the west coast that could fit into his program. The prototypical 6'4" 225 pound pocket passer is in short supply. But, 185 pound 5'9"-6'2" mobile QBs that can throw BBs (after some coaching) are in abundance. Many of them have DI grades and ability, but no takers. Utah, Hawai'i, Boise St, Texas Tech, Oregon State, San Diego St, et al. are really capitalizing on this not-so-tapped talent pool.

Lots of successful HS programs are really flingin' it around these days (especially in the good weather states). Making for more and more recruits.

M. Gipson