• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

Haven't made this in ages, but the rest of the Distance Learning Team at work has been pressuring me to bring some in and, well, I do have to make sure it came out alright, don't I? Chinese Chicken Salad with Thai Chile-Peanut dressing . . . like my Frito Pie, it gets made a little different and comes out a little better each time!

18921781_10213000620120041_415980027236197068_n.jpg

~Boar

Ceviche. One of the most underwhelming versions I've had, unfortunately.

Funny! I just made one yesterday! 2lbs of wild caught shrimps. Some people like to precook their shrimps but I like to let the limes do the cooking, I find that they taste so much better and fresher this way. Also, I like my ceviche spicy and with a lot of delicious liquid.

IMG_20170609_073824_464_zps6rnjskrj.jpg

IMG_20170608_213114_330_zpsevbuytby.jpg

That's the way it should be, i.e. the proteins are raw and "cooked" by the citrus juice. The one I had yesterday was just rather bland. Needed more lime, chile, and spices. And the Leche de tigre, the liquid runoff, is a must. Sadly the plate yesterday didn't have much.

Anniversary celebration last night, and my chef friend who just opened a 2nd location of his Mexican seafood concept blew us up. First course was this (Hammersley I think) oyster with lightly marinated salmon roe and insane Hokkaido uni... I'm a fanatic for uni, this may have been the best/richest I've eaten.
tmp_10228-20170624_19013848317126.jpg

Anniversary celebration last night, and my chef friend who just opened a 2nd location of his Mexican seafood concept blew us up. First course was this (Hammersley I think) oyster with lightly marinated salmon roe and insane Hokkaido uni... I'm a fanatic for uni, this may have been the best/richest I've eaten.
View attachment 17033

That looks sooooo good! I'm going to have to try making that.

I'm also a fanatic for uni. The best I ever had was when I was walking on a beach the day after a typhoon passed through Okinawa. A local gentleman waved me over as he fished an urchin out of the surf; he broke it open with a piece of coral and handed it to me. We fished out the uni with our fingers, dipped it in seawater and enjoyed it together right there.

That looks sooooo good! I'm going to have to try making that.

I'm also a fanatic for uni. The best I ever had was when I was walking on a beach the day after a typhoon passed through Okinawa. A local gentleman waved me over as he fished an urchin out of the surf; he broke it open with a piece of coral and handed it to me. We fished out the uni with our fingers, dipped it in seawater and enjoyed it together right there.

Oh man, that is the dream uni! Chef Carlos gets fresh/live uni pretty often, but nothing close to the ocean and sea air pairing with one plucked right out of the water.