• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Whats the deal with Cuesta Rey?

other1

Cigarpassaholic. Mmm.. cigarpassahol.
As some of you know, I've recently returned to my hobby of cigars after several years...

Now, back in the day I remember enjoying the occasional cuesta rey #95 as a cheap (like, real cheap) stick that you could find in most places in a pinch. I could swear they were machine made cigars. Now I see that Cuesta Rey has a line of hand made premium cigars. I think they were bought by the Fuente family? Is this the same cuesta rey I remember? Am I mistaken in remebering them as machine made?

Questa Rey is in fact a J C Newman/Fuente Line, I would not call it a premium, more an everyday smoker. The Pyramid #9 is not a bad stick, though as with many things, as popularity builds, prices increase.

Questa Rey sponsors the cigar bar at Tropicana Field in St. Pete, Fl

Newman/Fuente appear to have shied away from machine made cigars from what I understand.

Rnccen

Cuesta - what?

Never heard of um. :sign:

I've yet to have a bad one.

I had one of the sungrowns the other day, excellent cigar for 6$. Will absolutely get them again.

This is one of my favorite NC's. Been smoking mostly Cubans as of late but had one of the #11 sittin in the humi and I was impressed.

I've always enjoyed a good Cuesta-Rey. The Cabinet series were my first sampling of these fine ceegars but noe I'm definitely hooked on the Centenario series, IE. #9, #11 & the #60. Newman/Fuente has got some great ceegars in their selection from Sungrown to the Maduro line. :D :thumbs: :p

I want to add my vote to this informal poll. I tried a couple of CR's from my local shop because of the price, and they are now one of my old reliables. Consistent quality, not bad flavor.
Now I need to try the Centro Fino and the Sungrown! :D

Well I tried my first tonight. I picked up a Pyramid #9 yesterday and smoked it tonight during the Sorpanos (I bet I'm not the only one who always smokes during Sopranos).

I don't know how to describe it.. The cigar was a little confusing to me. Pre light it smelled a bit acrid, but not terrible. It had very nice construction. The band seemed unusually low to me and I removed it before smoking. I don't smoke a lot of pyramids so ended up reclipping it before I got the draw the way I like it. I didn't like the flavor at first. I was almost going to put it out half way through, but then it started to grow on me. As I got to like the last third it started to taste kind of creamy to me. The draw tightened in me a few times and I kept having to work the end to get it to draw again. Eventually this led to it unravelling but I was almost done at that point.

All in all it was an OK cigar in my opinion but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to have another. I will however give some other Cuesta Reys a chance.