• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's wrong with my cigars?

vewyphishy

The Original Smoking Fish
Lately, my cigars have been burning a little odd. Basically, after about 1/4 or 1/3, the outside edges stop burning. The cigar starts "hollowing" out. I usually have to relight (or reignite) the edges to get them even with the insides again.

I posted this question in another thread (apologies for the OT on that one)... and I'll ask again here. How does the wetness or dryness of a cigar (as a result of humidity) effect the burn of a cigar?

It sounds to me like your cigars havent had a chance to properly "climatize" before you smoke them. Either that or your keeping your RH too high and the wrappers are extreamly wet and the binder/filler is still at a decent RH and is burning properly.

But in the end, YES RH does affect how the cigar smokes, I usually keep smokes that were in my 70 RH humi's out in a dry box for a day, and I do pretty much the same with the smokes in my 65 Humi's (most of those are ISOM, so they smoke better on the dry side IMO)

Sometimes I still have minor burning issues, but the method I use had pretty much gotten all the major issues under control.

Phil

Yeah, sounds to me like they are too humid -- humidity should soak from the outside in, so if the environment they are in is too moist, the outer layer will burn more slowly (or not at all) than the interior.

Conversely, if the entire cigar has already become too moist, it'll dry out from the outside in -- but this seems to be the reverse of what you're seeing.

I'd suggest lowering your humidity a bit -- mine isn't too much over 63% -- and them letting them sit for a week or so. You could even take 'em out for a day to help things along, then pop them back in, assuming it isn't too dry where you are.

Hope this didn't happen to the 1928 Pardón's I sent ya! (you still owe us a review of 'em, btw! :) )

I can't stress enough how much better my cigars burn and draw at lower RH. I've been keeping my to be smoked humi at 60-62% and I can't believe the difference. Also I rarely smoke anything until it's been in my humis for at least a few weeks. If you want to avoid burn/draw problems it's best to excersize some modicum of patience with new aquisitions :D

hmmm!
well that would explain two cigars I has over break that seemed to be a little softer/wetter than I normally smoke and both started to tunnel near the end.

learn something new every day.
:thumbs: