• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's your favorite dark horse brand?

Another stick with a brazilian maduro wrapper that I like is La Hara by Tesa (though the only place I know to get these is from Fuller's Pullers and they are closing their online shop soon).
Better stock up now then.

I loved the Original La Aroma de Cuba, the new Pepin blend isn't as good.

Oh wow... I'd say just the opposite. I was coming in here to specifically mention the new blend. They are one of my go to smokes as they are decently priced (as compared to many other smokes at the shop).

The Pepin blends tastes like... well a Pepin blend. The original LAdC had a unique taste all their own and were one of my favorite cigars. If I want a Pepin I'll smoke a Pepin.

Oh wow... I'd say just the opposite. I was coming in here to specifically mention the new blend. They are one of my go to smokes as they are decently priced (as compared to many other smokes at the shop).

I'm with you. I smoke the new blend on a pretty regular basis. I love them, especially at their price.

Me personally im a big fan of a good Casa Torano. Now they aren't a dark horse by any means but I've had two this week and they have ended up being a perfect mild smoke. I've also had an Oliva Serie O and it was a terrific cigar and for the price i feel like you can't beat it.

I'm with you. I smoke the new blend on a pretty regular basis. I love them, especially at their price.

I'm down to my last Edicion Especial blend (the one with the 2 ladies on the band) and those I may buy more of. Do you guys think the other two newer blends have similar profiles as the EE?

LAdC EE is by far the best. Not a huge fan of their maduros (red band on the foot?). The older LAdC's weren't that bad...same with the Mi Amor.

*San Cristobal's smaller rg. are always great smokes.

While I'm on Ashtons, their sun grown Heritage never fails (it's no VSG :) ).

I'm not sure how popular the No. 59 Factory Throwout is, but it's one that I'm a big fan of. Very inexpensive cigar (even here in Arkansas), and it is a fantastic one at that. I like it because I can stock up on them and give them to friends when we smoke, but even though I paid next to nothing for it, they are still getting a fantastic cigar.

My dark horse cigars would be...

EO Brands (Or do I call them Rocky Patel's now?) Blues and Greens

KA Kendall's 7-20-4

Torano Exodus 1959

I've definitely never heard so much love for Torano before. Good to know!

Devil's Weed! I really loved those cigars. I had tried a couple of bundles when CI restocked from box closeouts to bundles, and they smelled and tasted horrible.
Perhaps it is time to try another batch, and see how they're rolling. Wonder if Abe is still making them?

Just came home to a bundle of these in the mail. Going to put them in the fridge for a while and see how they taste. I'm a little worried because they have probably been sitting in the back of the post office here for nearly two weeks since we had to unexpectedly jet back to the States. Hope they (and the rest of the order) turn out all right. I ordered the Devil's Weed after reading this thread, though. I've seen them in catalogues and such and have been interested in trying them. You guys persuaded me, again!

Gavin, Casa Fernandez has wonderful tobacco. I just ordered a box of their Miami. I've been able to age some of their offerings for about 1.5- 2 yrs, and they aged nicely, keeping good flavor, and rounding out nicely.

Don't know if this qualifies as a dark horse, but I still love my JR Ultimate Cigars and they remain some of my Go To cheaper smokes. You sometimes have to send a box back, due to a mustisness from overhumidifying, but that is not too common in my experience. Been smoking them forever.

I also really like some of Cuban Crafters smokes. Kiki has some flavorful tobacco, and if you wait for sales, they can represent good value. I like the CC Cabinet, La Caroline, and the Don Kiki Brown.
You'll have to let me know how those Miami's are!

Grammar edit.

First, I need to correct the name which is the "Miami Reserva" which apparently uses their best grade AA tobacco (which component leaves I can't determine).
It is a Toro. I smoked one after a few days, and it was still too wet. I smoked one the other day, and really enjoyed it. I would classify it as a med to full in nicotine strength, about a medium to full flavor intensity (for my leather 3 to 5 cigars a day tongue). I would also group this with the few cigars which I would describe as elegant. Very refined, but I have a sense that this one might require ruthlessly consistent maintenance.

Devil's Weed! I really loved those cigars. I had tried a couple of bundles when CI restocked from box closeouts to bundles, and they smelled and tasted horrible.
Perhaps it is time to try another batch, and see how they're rolling. Wonder if Abe is still making them?

Just came home to a bundle of these in the mail. Going to put them in the fridge for a while and see how they taste. I'm a little worried because they have probably been sitting in the back of the post office here for nearly two weeks since we had to unexpectedly jet back to the States. Hope they (and the rest of the order) turn out all right. I ordered the Devil's Weed after reading this thread, though. I've seen them in catalogues and such and have been interested in trying them. You guys persuaded me, again!

One thing about Devil's Weed, which I think really hurt it, is that it is a very fussy cigar. You have to be careful not to over torch the end when lighting, being patient and not going for a hole end glowing from the lighter, but rather get a bit glowing, and them blow on the foot to spread the glow. Then you have to
sip this cigar. That is my normal way of smoking, so I always got the best this cigar had to offer. The few times that I was busy doing something while smokiing, and got careless, the cigar goes south fast. But if it is anything like the original blend, and you are patient, and smoke in a relaxed mode, you may be pleasantly surprised.
This really was my all time favorite go to, smoke all day, any time of day, smoke.

Maybe not so much a dark horse (since I know plenty of folks who stash away 50-count boxes of their Rothschilds as a go-to cigar), but I've always thought that Punch was one of the best full-bodied cigars for the price.

For me, I prefer the London Club or the After Dinner, both of which are phenomenal with a little age.

One thing about Devil's Weed, which I think really hurt it, is that it is a very fussy cigar. You have to be careful not to over torch the end when lighting, being patient and not going for a hole end glowing from the lighter, but rather get a bit glowing, and them blow on the foot to spread the glow. Then you have to
sip this cigar. That is my normal way of smoking, so I always got the best this cigar had to offer. The few times that I was busy doing something while smokiing, and got careless, the cigar goes south fast. But if it is anything like the original blend, and you are patient, and smoke in a relaxed mode, you may be pleasantly surprised.
This really was my all time favorite go to, smoke all day, any time of day, smoke.

Thanks for the advice. I think I might break into these next weekend. Got it: slow-and-steady. :)

After all the Torano love, I picked up a couple of their cigars to try. I'm smoking their Single Region: Jalapa robusto right now, and it's definitely an interesting smoke. If I have the gumption, I may review the second one of them that I picked up.

I picked up a Gran Torano Exodus 1959 50 Year Robusto last year. I left it in my humidor for a few weeks, then pulled it out to smoke. It smelled horrible...I could not bring myself to smoke it. I found it last night in the bottom of the humi and thought I would give it a try. It still stinks, but I smoked it anyway.

Don't let the smell fool you, it tasted better than it smelled. The flavor was good, but a little unrefined. I enjoyed the cigar, but IMHO I think there are better cigars for the price.

I picked up a Gran Torano Exodus 1959 50 Year Robusto last year. I left it in my humidor for a few weeks, then pulled it out to smoke. It smelled horrible...I could not bring myself to smoke it. I found it last night in the bottom of the humi and thought I would give it a try. It still stinks, but I smoked it anyway.

Don't let the smell fool you, it tasted better than it smelled. The flavor was good, but a little unrefined. I enjoyed the cigar, but IMHO I think there are better cigars for the price.

I remember smoking one gifted to me by a brother here and the first half was pretty good but the second half was not impressive. Not every one of the Torano cigars will have a place in my humi but the ones that do won't break the bank.

The 601s by dpg. The green is amazing if you like stronger smokes but want something with that pepin flavor profile.