• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's Your Latest Purchase? 2016

Por Larranaga Petit Coronas
H. Upmann Petit Coronas
Juan Lopez Petit Coronas
Rafael Gonzalez Petit Coronas

Man, you really went on a PC run. :) Didn't even realize HUpmann made a PC. Shows how little I know. :)

Every try the HU half coronas? How do those compare to the PCs?

Smoked several boxes of the HC since they have been released. They are a very good cigar with cedar, nuts, cream and coffee flavors. Very much looking forward to seeing how they age.

Personally the PC sets the benchmark for H. Upmann. Gone through countless boxes of these over the decades, just great cigars. They do need quite a few years of aging before they come into their own though.

I wandered over to my local B&M on my lunch break yesterday, just to pick up a can of Butane. You know, because I have 'enough' cigars waiting for me at home. And at the office. However, the guy behind the counter wouldn't let me out until he had taken my money for some cigars too. Since he was so demanding I decided I probably could use a few short smokes for the work humi.

CAO Brazilla Corcovado
My Father Le Bijou Petite Robusto
Tatuaje Black Petite Robusto
Tatuaje Black Corona Gorda

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I picked up a 5'er of OpusX Fuente Fuente a couple of days ago at my local B&M. They have them at a great price, so I seem to talk myself in to buying some every time I walk in there. I oughta just grab what's left of the box and get it over with.

An interesting historical note is that this was one of JFK’s favorite cigars (the Cuban H. Upmann Petit Upmann) and the story has been told that the evening before he signed the Cuban Embargo he had his aides canvass all the tobacco shops in Washington D.C. area buying every Cuban Petit Upmann available.

The rumor is that he purchased 1,200 cigars that night.

For the full story of JFK's love for Cuban Petit Upmanns, as told by Dick DiMeola.

Here is the full story behind President John F. Kennedy's love for Cuban Petit Upmanns and the signing of the Cuban Trade Embargo, according to an email message received from Dick DiMeola in response to our review of the H Upmann Corona Major cigar:

"I retired as COO of Consolidated Cigar Corp., predecessor to Altadis USA, in 1998, having been in the cigar business since 1956 (I still dabble in it).

In my early years, I worked for Faber, Coe & Gregg, Inc., the country's premier importer and distributor of Cuban cigars, among others.

What you say about JFK's love of H. Upmann is true, and it is also true that an aide purchased 1200 H. Upmanns for Kennedy just prior to his signing the Cuban Embargo in 1962.

That aide was his press secretary, Pierre Salinger, who confirmed the story in a speech at a Cigar Association of America annual meeting, I believe it was in 1987, at which I was present.

But the cigar was not the Petit Corona, which in that era was 5" x 41r and retailed for 40¢, it was the Petit Upmann, which was a machine made cigar, 3 3/4" x 32r that retailed for 25¢."

"Here's a clip I just found of Pierre Salinger telling the story from the dais of a dinner, which, although I don't know the time and place, I suspect was some sort of cigar event in London, since to Salinger's right sits my friend, Nicholas Freeman (RIP), the owner at the time of Hunters & Frankau, the UK importer and distributor of Cuban Cigars.

The clip also shows JFK smoking the small cigar.

As an aside, although the H. Upmann Petit Upmann is the size mentioned by Salinger, I was in charge of inventory control for FC&G at the time and we did not import that cigar under that name. It was sold in the U.S. under the frontmark, Demi Tasse. Perhaps Salinger was confused because it was called Petit Upmann in England, Cuba and the rest of the world.

P.S. According to my friend Simon Chase, of Hunters and Frankau, London, one of the most knowledgeable cigar men in the world, specializing in Cubans, who was there, the Pierre Salinger video in which he talks about JFK's cigar, is of a luncheon that took place in the private room of Wilton's Restaurant, Jermyn Street, London, Friday, May 3, 1991.

JFK Favorite Cigar
By Dr. Mitch Fadem (Cigars.about.com)

The favourite cigar of US President John F. Kennedy was the now-discontinued, machine-made H. Upmann Petit Upmann (sold under the name Demi Tasse in the United States). The night before the Cuban embargo was signed, he had aide Pierre Salinger procure every box he could gather from Washington, DC tobacconists, totalling 1,200 cigars.[3]

Wikipedia

What I find very interesting was that a number of years ago in San Francisco there was a place that said they had pre-embargo cigars for sale. I think the odds against any inventory still existing that long after was almost nil. The prices were very steep if I remember correctly.

What I find very interesting was that a number of years ago in San Francisco there was a place that said they had pre-embargo cigars for sale. I think the odds against any inventory still existing that long after was almost nil. The prices were very steep if I remember correctly.

www.vendettablu.com

Still there and they still claim to have them. CigSid was there earlier this year, in Feb where he posted about a 1955 Montecristo Robusto.

Hard to believe as they have been there for over 20 years and still have a decent stock of "pre-embargo Cubans"

Still there and they still claim to have them. CigSid was there earlier this year, in Feb where he posted about a 1955 Montecristo Robusto.

Hard to believe as they have been there for over 20 years and still have a decent stock of "pre-embargo Cubans"
They can legally acquire them via auctions or from other retailers who may have stock.