• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

When Do You Let Your Stick Burn Out

Jam1173

Guys,

I have read several articles that state you should only smoke half of a cigar. Is there any truth to that? I have been wondering what the proper amount to smoke is, since I know some of the most intense flavors for me come well after the halfway mark.

What is the real deal here?

Zino Davidoff once wrote that a gentleman only smokes half of his cigar. Well, considering that Mr. Davidoff always got top dollar for his products, he could afford to do that. I smoke mine till they begin to taste bad. I ain't no gentleman.

Doc.

Whenever I am no longer enjoying the cigar. Be it an inch in, or burning the fingers.

Zino Davidoff once wrote that a gentleman only smokes half of his cigar. Well, considering that Mr. Davidoff always got top dollar for his products, he could afford to do that. I smoke mine till they begin to taste bad. I ain't no gentleman.

Doc.

Well said, Doc! The only time I put a cigar out when it is only half finished, is if I don't care for the smoke. Taste, construction, burn may all be factors, but if it's not a good smoke, I put it out! A good one has been known to singe my fingers!

Thanks guys, I too have burned a finger or two. I am glad to know that I am not the only one. If I am enjoying a smoke the last thing I am thinking about is putting it out so I just wanted to make sure that I was not breaking some unwritten rule. :rolleyes:

I've found that the cigar will tell you when it's done. Some go to the nub, some don't go an inch into the smoke..... :p

Cheers - B.B.S.

The only steadfast rule about cigars is if you don't enjoy it, don't smoke it. Besides that, you can create your own preferences.

As far as personal cigar enjoyment, the only rule is "there are no rules." Only five things make me put a cigar down:

1) it starts to taste bad and purging will not bring it back for more than a few puffs at a time

2) my lips and/or fingertips catch fire

3) the cigar is tight enough of has bad enough burn problems that dealing with these issues detracts from the process and enjoyment of smoking

4) the cigar is boring me

5) I get called away for some reason

Wilkey

I agree with all replys, I smoke until it no longer delivers a good smoking experience. Unless of course it gets uncomfortably cold . . . I am in NE.

Here is what I usually do:

If it tastes bad I'll usually throw it out. No need to ruin my evening with a bad smoke.

If nothing impressive is happening or the smoke is boring me I'll put it out once I've had enough.

If the smoke is good but nothing special, I'll usually put it out once it hits the band.

If it is simply mind blowing I'll smoke it past the band and sometimes to the point of burning my fingers.

If its bad, I try to go quarter-to-halfway, hoping it would improve.

If its average, I goto band if robusto, or abit before if longer vitole. Really, when I simply get tired of smoking it.

If its good, I go past the band.

It all depends on the cigar. If its a nice tasting smoke, I will smoke it to the ring at least and beyond. If its a bad cigar, I will toss it eary. To point in getting frustrated.