• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

When is one too far gone?

smirak

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but I used the search and couldn't exactly find the answer I was looking for. That said, here's my delima: I'm currently in Iraq and at our local Iraqi "store" here on base, they have some cigars. Up until about a week ago, they were in a humidor (which we promptly bought out from under them). They have some Cohibas and Romeo Y Juliet's. Don't ask me which ones cause frankly I can't tell. Anyway, they have been sitting in their store front for at least a week outside of a humidor. I went to look at them tonight, and they were hard as a brick. I rolled them between my fingers near my ear and all I heard was crackling. I would assume these would go fast and probably not smoke well at all. With that said, do you think we could revive them in our humidor? We've certainly got the space as the humi is probably about a 500 stick humi, and it's pretty empty (and lonely). I guess it certainly wouldn't hurt to spend the $5 on one and give it a shot, right? However, $5 is $5, and I'd rather not spend it on something that is un-reviveable (is that even a word).

Let me know your thoughts...

Thanks,
Kevin

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but I used the search and couldn't exactly find the answer I was looking for. That said, here's my delima: I'm currently in Iraq and at our local Iraqi "store" here on base, they have some cigars. Up until about a week ago, they were in a humidor (which we promptly bought out from under them). They have some Cohibas and Romeo Y Juliet's. Don't ask me which ones cause frankly I can't tell. Anyway, they have been sitting in their store front for at least a week outside of a humidor. I went to look at them tonight, and they were hard as a brick. I rolled them between my fingers near my ear and all I heard was crackling. I would assume these would go fast and probably not smoke well at all. With that said, do you think we could revive them in our humidor? We've certainly got the space as the humi is probably about a 500 stick humi, and it's pretty empty (and lonely). I guess it certainly wouldn't hurt to spend the $5 on one and give it a shot, right? However, $5 is $5, and I'd rather not spend it on something that is un-reviveable (is that even a word).

Let me know your thoughts...

Thanks,
Kevin

You can always give it a shot if its only $5. At least it wont break the bank.

This might help My link

This one is a little diff from your question but it also might help. My link

Personally, I wouldn't buy them. Firstly because they are dried out and would take months to bring back to a smokeable condition which isn't 100% guaranteed and secondly because if they are purported to be Cuban Cohiba and R&J, I can't imagine them being legit. Best to pass on them in my opinion.

$5 for a Cuban Cohiba? I'd buy it even if it was just as a trophy. :whistling:

Personally, I wouldn't buy them. Firstly because they are dried out and would take months to bring back to a smokeable condition which isn't 100% guaranteed and secondly because if they are purported to be Cuban Cohiba and R&J, I can't imagine them being legit. Best to pass on them in my opinion.

EDIT: ....then again I'm a newbie and didn't even think that they could be fakes.

I think it would most likely be a waste of time and money. Just find a vendor who ships to you, and in the meantime, make sure your humidor is seasoned.
Do a group buy, and fill that thing up!

Be safe, and thanks for your service.

It's a ruined fake. Forget about it.

Doc.

I'm probably going to pass on it too...just wanted to get some thoughts. As for a vendor that will ship to me, I just ordered from CigarsInternational and my order should arrive in a week or two. I ordered a Herf-a-Dor and 10 Punch Uppercut Toro's as well as a cutter and a drymistate and delivered, it was ~$50. But, as someone else suggested, we are just going to do a huge group buy...there are about 6 of us that smoke, and if we all pitch in about $25-$50, we should have a well stocked humi for the future...

Brings us another question...I've noticed that most everyone online ships either USPS (which is fine for me) or UPS. This will soon pose a couple issues...1) Our APO Address is going away on Sep 15 (or something like that) and 2) UPS doesn't deliver here, only FedEx. Any of the big name shippers online ship FedEx that anyone knows of?

Thanks,
Kevin

Check out the retailer forum here and talk to a few of those guys, I'm sure they'd be willing to arrange something for your group buy.

Moe and Doc speak the truth. You'd be far better served taking that $5, adding another $95 to it, and going with the newbie sampler thread. :)

Save your money and get some Somalicamelmeat instead (without the hump). :D

If they are sold on an American base I doubt they are Cuban. Pass on them and just order from the states.