• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

"When we have kids, would you stop smoking cigars?"

Audi_kraut

Per jfields request and my hopes to grab a larger audience, I'm making a thread out of this topic. I know many of you have commented already, but I did not want to copy and paste your response without permission. Feel free to post up again.
I was asked, "When we have kids, would you stop smoking cigars?". What are your thoughts on this?

Here is a bit of background to go with the topic of discussion. I met my future wife (getting married May 6th) in college and by the time we started dating I had already begun my love affair with cigars. Likewise, by the time we started dating, she had become a health addict in all aspects (fitness, diet, lifestyle, etc.). Well I use to smoke a cigar a month but recently I've found more time and friends who share this interest so it became a once a week thing. Over Easter break I took the time to smoke a cigar a day as I re-injured my knee and spent most of it pool-side.

Did you or would you stop smoking when you had kids?

For those of you with children, Was this an issue and how did you handle it?

I would get a dog. :D

O.K. that's harsh. I would not smoke around the children where they would inhale the smoke.
Love is not about changing a person.

No.

It is for you a pleasurable pastime. Tell her you will continue to smoke but not around the children.

Going on 25 years and two kids and it works just fine.

No, I didn't stop when I had my son. And I wouldn't have, either, if my wife had asked. Ask the health nut to find you a report that says smoking cigars is bad for your health. Make sure the report she finds isn't centered on machine rolled crap where most of the "filler" isn't even tobacco, find a study that concentrates on long filler cigars. That should keep her busy.

I always smoke outside the home. I maintain a healthy lifestyle, watch my weight, eat right, and enjoy life's "indulgences" in moderation, at all times.

What's the question...??....;)

Never Smoke around my daughter. But I will say as they get older ( mine's 17 now) they will start to give you grief because smoking is so taboo in the younger generation.

My favorite comment to make to those who want to worry about my children is, "While the second hand smoke 'May' be harmful to them, the first hand smoke saves their lives on a regular basis."

My favorite comment to make to those who want to worry about my children is, "While the second hand smoke 'May' be harmful to them, the first hand smoke saves their lives on a regular basis."

Ask them if they've ever had family barbecues. Because, ya know, a barbecue produces smoke as well. If the kids shouldn't be around a cigar, the shouldn't be around a smoke-billowing Weber grill either.

I have 3 year old twins, and like most I still smoke. I usually only smoke at home after they are down for the night, if they are out in the yard playing I don't smoke.

I started smoking cigars because of my kids, just wait and see

Interesting post...I would like to bring up another aspect based on the idea that we would all still continue to smoke cigars after our kids were born and it would involve a different side of cigar smoking.

My kids are now 23 & 22. I've asked them over the years what they thought and we've gotten into some pretty in depth conversations about it. They both insist that some of their fondest memories involved me, my brothers, and my friends smoking cigars....all involving both the smell and act of smoking. My son once told me, "When we would go and spend Christmas Eve at Uncle Joey's house, I will always remember the way Aunt Ana decorated the house, the smell of all the different foods cooking in the kitchen, the smell of the fireplace burning in the Family Room and you, Uncle Joey, and Uncle Tony standing on the front porch in the cold weather, smoking a few cigars as we ran around outside."

He went on to say that it wasn't anything that made him stop and notice at the time, but later he told me..."When I went away to college, one of the guys lit up a cigar as we were throwing a frisbee around and immediately it brought back memories of all the fun times I've had with our family...Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, BBQs in our back yard, vacations we took...all of it came back in a rush when I took the first sniff!" Pretty powerful stuff I would say as it reminds me of my Uncles and Father smoking them as well, 50 years ago!...it was the smell of Family. Anthony always kids me that whenever I was outside doing something, I had a cigar in my mouth all the years he grew up. Cooking at the grill, sitting in the hot tub, cleaning/floating in the pool, doing yard work, hanging out on the deck with a scotch or beer, shooting baskets in the driveway, sitting on the beach...whenever, I almost always had a cigar in my mouth...and when he says this to me, he always has a giant smile on his face.

My Daughter once told me that when she was little and we would spend a day or Holiday with friends and family, she would climb into my lap at the end of the day to get ready for bed and give me that big hug and some cuddle time. She said that one of the most notable things she remembers is that I smelled like cigar smoke from all the cigars being smoked around her and it reminder her of all the fun they had that day and that she was home, safe and sound....but more than anything, it reminded her of ME. Now that she is a young adult, she says that when she's out with friends and she smells someone smoking a cigar, she gets rushes of family and fun times from her youth! Pretty powerful stuff, right?

Listen guys, none of us smokes a cigar and blows the smoke at our or anyone else's children...damn, my Uncles and Dad smoked in the house and car and we didn't die of lung cancer as children! I think that the pleasant smell of a nice cigar involves not just us, but our children too and impacts us all in a positive way. We all know that our different senses play a huge role in our thought patterns, and cigar smoking is definitely one of them in our Family.

My kids say they wouldn't trade those memories, based on my cigar smoking, for the World...it's part of who we all are as a family and it's a tradition I've passed down to my son as he started smoking cigars that very day he first smelled one in college...4 years ago this Spring!

People will say what they will, but the God's honest truth is that it impacts all of us in a more positive way than negative one. Cigar smoking represents fun times, relaxation, great food and drink, laughing, large gatherings of Family and friends, and those quiet times as well. Hell, all of the dogs we've had over the years enjoyed it too, they invariably would be found sitting under my chair or next to me outside on our deck as I puffed the day's worries away. Even now, when I open my Aristocrat, our cats come running to sit next to me and take in the fresh tobacco smell...you can't make this stuff up!

If you could ask any of the children of some of CPs senior members who are parents of older kids, I would imagine you would hear very similar stories from their past as well.

So, if any of you younger Fathers out there are ever asked to give this pleasure up for the sake of "our children's health", please take a moment to explain the other side of the argument...it definitely represents more than just the burning of some tobacco leaves.

As with every conversation with a man's wife...YMMV!

Very nice post ironpeddler, I enjoyed reading that. :thumbs:

As for the question, no; cigars are part of who I am. As it is now, I try not to smoke around young kids if I can help it and will do the same if I have some of my own one day.

Very well stated, Gary. While ignorance on this subject knows no limit, the people in the know always outclass the anti-smoking zealots, who then have to resort to "the children". When they can't win with that :"strategy" they resort to insults. It's funny how so many folks don't realize how easily and effectively they've been duped, manipulated, and controlled.

NIce Ironpeddler! I agree whole heartidly. I wondered the same thing before we had our first child. I came to the conclusion that I was fine as long as I wasnt around them when I did it. As of right now I pretty well feel like if I were outside then all would be ok, I seriously doubt that a child near me while smoking a cigar would cause any ill affects.

Very nice Gary! Very, very nice!

My kids and wife all know I smoke, and they don't complain one bit. Of course I'm respectful, and don't blow smoke in their faces, or smoke in our vehicles.

My wife is especially supportive of my passion and this is important to the health of our relationship. In general we support each other in all of our pursuits and this is what makes it work. You can't marry someone and figure you can change them as you go along, that only ends in a relationship that is resentful, or just doesn't work at all eventually.

She often says she associates cigar smoking as a sign of someone who knows how to relax, and cigarette smoking as someone who does not know how to relax. ....... I've done both and I can tell you I don't need any study to tell me there is a world of difference between the two.

I can see it if you were chain smoking cigarettes, or downing a 5th of Jack Daniels every day. However, I don't think a cigar every day or once a week will hurt one bit.