• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Where did the beetle go?

hexakosioi

So I had a Montecristo A in my humidor, I decide to check it up, I check my humidor every 2-3 days...I am paranoid! So anyways, what do you know I spot a couple of beetle holes, I am 100% sure they were beetle holes. So I decide to dissect that thing but I could not find the damn bug/bugs. Does this mean they are still in my humidor? Should I expect more holes?

Since there is nothing to eat out side of the cigar except another cigar, it either relocated or became a beetle. The Larva do the eating.

Since there is nothing to eat out side of the cigar except another cigar, it either relocated or became a beetle. The Larva do the eating.

Oh know I see. I guess that is why i found a beetle hole in a Cuaba Diademas today morning. So what is there to do to stop this madness?

Do a search on how to freeze cigars. The instructions are around here somewhere. Do it fast. Everything in the box. Do not pass any cigars to others until you get this resolved.

Double 'freezer' bag EVERYTHING....put in frig for a day...then inthe freezer for 3 days....then in the frig for one day...then out (unopened) for one day...then into a seperate COOLEDOR(make a new one)...then clean out your current humi....and smoke the ones you just froze...oh, yea...'search a little'! ;)

For long term storage and care, I would invest in a wine cooler. Keep it a little cooler than normal, but it will save heartache from beetle infestation.

I had the same problem a couple of years ago. Just follow Grateful1 advice and clean your Humi with a damp cloth and distilled water. What I do now is that before I store my cigars (specially Cubans) I go thru the freezing process first, before I put them in the humi, and I haven't had any problems.

-Cubano

Double 'freezer' bag EVERYTHING....put in frig for a day...then inthe freezer for 3 days....then in the frig for one day...then out (unopened) for one day...then into a seperate COOLEDOR(make a new one)...then clean out your current humi....and smoke the ones you just froze...oh, yea...'search a little'! ;)

Thanks buddy

After you freeze them and return them, there's a sticky beetle attractant pad that I remember finding in Cigar Afficinado a while ago. It attracts them out of where they are and they get stuck. So put that in your humidor and if it's all clear then you're good to go.

I had the same problem with the recent purchase of a Montecristo A. I immediately froze all of my cigars, even the Montecristo A, did the whole process and the problem was solved. I was slightly ticked off and two weeks later when I went back to Cuba, I brought the infested cigar and was offered a new one at the store.

Start keeping a little baggie of caps that you've cut off of other cigars to plug holes with. A quick lick and stick will allow you to smoke your damaged gar and still be able to live with yourself.

Of course...freezing them would solve all of those kind of problems anyway.