• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Where to keep the humi?

Bond

Is this mine or is that yours?
The temperatures around here have been all over the place lately. Even my humidors temp is fluctuating quite rapidly. I keep the humidor on top of my dresser out of the sunlight, but the temp inside it is climbing to 78 during the day and getting around 68 at night. I decided to see about putting it down in the den to see if the temps are a little cooler. They are. It now stays between 66-72 degrees.

My question about all of this is, in the den there is a fireplace, making the room smell like we've been smoking ribs or something down there. Will that smokey smell affect my cigars? If so, which is worse, the smokiness or the higher temperatures?

I am not sure about the smoke, but you really don’t want the temp to get about 75, this might cause the dreaded beetles to show up! I had the same problem with fluctuating & high temps. I also had my humidor on top of my dresser and the temp was getting as high as 74. I moved the humidor to a corner of a room with 2 exterior walls away from any windows or heaters. The relocation has really worked because the temp hasn’t risen above 70 since.

Yes,
By all means, do what you can to avoid temperatures in the 70's. Right around 75%/75F is prime beetle incubating condition. As for the smoke, if your humi has a good seal, it may minimize the smoke penetration. However, if the smell is really strong, it may become a problem with time.
Wilkey

I keep my humidors in the basement.
It is unheated and the temperatures are very stable down there.
Between 54-58 in the winter and 62-66 in the summer.

Mine are kept in a central closet. Stays around 58-62 year round.

I'll make it easy for you can keep your hummi at my house :D :D

LMAO

Bond said:
The temperatures around here have been all over the place lately. Even my humidors temp is fluctuating quite rapidly. I keep the humidor on top of my dresser out of the sunlight, but the temp inside it is climbing to 78 during the day and getting around 68 at night. I decided to see about putting it down in the den to see if the temps are a little cooler. They are. It now stays between 66-72 degrees.

My question about all of this is, in the den there is a fireplace, making the room smell like we've been smoking ribs or something down there. Will that smokey smell affect my cigars? If so, which is worse, the smokiness or the higher temperatures?
[snapback]295695[/snapback]​

High in Little Rock yesterday was 82! :0

The above answers are all correct. It's been crazy in the south this winter.

benjiev said:
I'll make it easy for you can keep your hummi at my house :D :D

LMAO
[snapback]295850[/snapback]​

HAHA,....You're too kind,....too kind!!

bfreebern said:
Mine are kept in a central closet. Stays around 58-62 year round.
[snapback]295816[/snapback]​
Same here - during the summer months, we have a closet in the center of the house (away from exterior walls) that stays 62-65 no matter how hot it gets outside. That's where my cooler(s) and humi go during the three months or so when it's "hot" here in the Pacific Northwest.

Good Luck - B.B.S.

junkman_56 said:
I keep my humidors in the basement.
It is unheated and the temperatures are very stable down there.
Between 54-58 in the winter and 62-66 in the summer.
[snapback]295807[/snapback]​

what is a basement?
I keep mine in the closet

I think I have this problem - where to keep my humi?
At first I had it in main room, but since tempertaute outside was more than 90 I have changed its place into hall closet.
Unfortunatelly it did not halp a lot, because the temp in my humi is about 80... :/
After all I still have not high humidity, about 63%, 62%, sometimes 64%

So, short question.
Is high temp with low humididy dengerous for my cigars? or maybe only high temp with high humidity can be bad.

I think I have this problem - where to keep my humi?
At first I had it in main room, but since tempertaute outside was more than 90 I have changed its place into hall closet.
Unfortunatelly it did not halp a lot, because the temp in my humi is about 80... :/
After all I still have not high humidity, about 63%, 62%, sometimes 64%

So, short question.
Is high temp with low humididy dengerous for my cigars? or maybe only high temp with high humidity can be bad.

Michal,

I think they're both bad. Do you have any rooms with AC in them?

Both bad? damn!
But let check how it is in... Cuba lets say? c l i c k
81F and 70%Rh and cigars are ok, and that what wanders me the most, why in Cuba its ok and in my flat its not ok anymore?

Ps. No, unfortunatelly I dont have AC :/

Both bad? damn!
81F and 70%Rh and cigars are ok, and that what wanders me the most, why in Cuba its ok and in my flat its not ok anymore?

Michal, who cares about beetles hatching in Cuba. If your temps are above 75F you're going to have beetles in Poland.

Doc.

Both bad? damn!

Michal, who cares about beetles hatching in Cuba. If your temps are above 75F you're going to have beetles in Poland.

Doc.

First, Teletubbie problems in Poland. Now beetles. What's next?

Both bad? damn!

Doc.

I was rummaging through my stash and found some unwanted moochers. Just placed an order for a thermoelectric wine cooler as my goodies stay in the freezer. As a side note, my cigars were stored at around 72F. Start checking your stash, Michal. No body is safe, NOBODY!!!

Edit - Who said there aren't any beetles in Cuba?

Mical,

I have the same problem right now. Here in Tracy, CA., the outside weather is nearing 96 degrees. My RH is 64% and the temperature in the humidor is 78 degrees.

I asked this in another post, but I suppose I could ask here: Do you guys see any problem with freezing a dry cloth/towel, and then either wrapping it around the outside of the humidor, or simply resting the humidor on top of it?

Granted, that is only for situations like ours when we don't have a cooler to put these in yet. It's also a major pain in the ass to to keep freezing/thawing towels, but if you don't think it would damage the outside wood of the humidor, is that a viable option to control temperature?

Hey if anyone should worry it should be me, right now I keep my humi in the corner of the closet. It stays at 67rh and 71F, I am not worried about it right now. If it starts to rise much then I will be shopping at Target for a wine cooler.

Just imagine, Michal busted by the Polish authorities for importing non-indigenous wildlife. Where do we send the bail money?

Doc.