• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Where would you travel for a cigar holiday?

TonyG

I have never been to the Dominican Republic and have been thinking of planning a trip. Naturally I would want to take advantage of grabbing some fine cigars when I am there. Recently some buddies have told me that if I am going for the purpose of finding great prices for great cigars, forget it. Wondering if that is so and wondering what recommendations people have in that regard. I recognize that great cigars command prices in relation to their esteem they hold in our hearts. But at the same time, I am hoping to be able to mix sun and sand with the opportunity to buy cigars that would otherwise be out of my reach budget wise.

There's info on this somewhere around CP, but most of the better cigars from the DR are made in the Trade Zone of the island. Duty Free zone, maybe? Something along those lines. Anyway, the gist is, those cigars are made for export only. In order to buy something from Arturo Fuente in the DR, it would have to be exported, then imported back to the island. That alone would probably make it pretty cost prohibitive. Then you also run the risk of fakes. As far as I know, there's no agency there comparable to LCDH for non-Habanos cigars.

I'd head off to Spain if you are looking for good cigars at a good price. If the beach experience is what you are after than try the Bahamas of Caymans. Good cigars at high prices though.

I'd go to Nicaragua on a trip specifically for cigar smokers. Stay at some big-wig's villa, tour a couple factories, have some custom rolls made for you. One of the guys from the shop I frequent just got back from a trip like this. :thumbs:

-John

If you want to visit the DR and smoke a lot of cigars, how about going to the ProCigar Festival?

I'm gonna echo what most are already saying. I work with a Dominican lady, whose husband (not Dominican) enjoys cigars. They travel to the D.R. a few times a year, and he told me the first time he went, he was excited for the same reasons you are. Unfortunately, he found that the prices there, were higher than CI, Famous, and the like.

Barcelona, Spain. You get cigars, beach, Gaudi architecture and it's a big city where you can find pretty much anything you like.

I'd head off to Spain if you are looking for good cigars at a good price. If the beach experience is what you are after than try the Bahamas of Caymans. Good cigars at high prices though.

X2 on Spain. This time last year I was hiking in shorts in southern Spain and enjoying fine cigars. It's awesome.

Where are you guys referring to in Spain? What kinds of costs did you run into for food, lodging, travel? Ten year anniversary is coming up this summer and the wife and I are planning a trip. Might throw this into the mix. :thumbs:

Where are you guys referring to in Spain? What kinds of costs did you run into for food, lodging, travel? Ten year anniversary is coming up this summer and the wife and I are planning a trip. Might throw this into the mix. :thumbs:

Well, like others have said, Dominican republic is not such an easy place to go buy cigars. I went there on my honeymoon 2 years ago. Although it was an incredible trip, I was very happy to have brought cigars with me, because there was not much to be seen there. Fuentes are about the same price as here, in Canada, SUPER EXPENSIVE!

The only place I found good cigars for a decent price is Domenico cigars (http://www.domenicocigars.com/). They are in Punta Cana. They picked me up at my hotel, gave me a tour of the factory, and then attended me very well in the store/lounge. I do not remember the name of the lady there, but she is a German who with her husband imigrated to the island to open a factory. I still have a couple a home, and they are very good cigars may I say.

For your question on Spain, I used to live in the Canary islands, in Tenerife. I remember that they had alot of places you could buy cigars all around the place, in Playa las Americas for example, or in the airport Reina Sofia. As for prices, look around the internet, because I have no dates for your trip, I can't help you. I just know that it's a nice place to go to the beach, visit, shop, and relax.

Like I said, we had a blast in the Domincan Republic, but apart from Domenico, it was pretty much impossible to find cigars at a decent price.

gianni

Once a cigar smoker who respects himself get to Cuba on his Caribbean Holidays, goes for a Habano no matter what, doing everything within his reach to enjoy its aroma, taste the quality of the product and capture all the myth that surrounds a good Cuban cigar. well i will definitely go to cuba.

Thank you ! Never would have thought about Spain. And the vintages are not bad there either.

Thank you ! Never would have thought about Spain. And the vintages are not bad there either.

One more thing about Spain. If you visit southern Spain, you have to visit Gibraltar for cigars. I think it's some kind of customs free zone or something, well cigars are cheap anyway.

I'll send PM for shop to visit there.

Once a cigar smoker who respects himself get to Cuba on his Caribbean Holidays, goes for a Habano no matter what, doing everything within his reach to enjoy its aroma, taste the quality of the product and capture all the myth that surrounds a good Cuban cigar. well i will definitely go to cuba.
LOL-WUT-IT.gif

No doubt, to the DR.

I wanna go to Jose Blanco's party.

:D

I was talking to Litto the other day (yeah cuz thats how I roll!), and asked him how someone can get a tour of his factory, while in the DR. He told me that all you would need to do is to shoot him and email with the dates that you would be in the DR and he would try to arange a tour that either he, or his factory manager would take you on. He said his email is on the LFD website. He told me that he gets visiters a few times a month at his factory (which is in Santiago's free trade zone).

So, shoot him an email.

I was talking to Litto the other day (yeah cuz thats how I roll!), and asked him how someone can get a tour of his factory, while in the DR. He told me that all you would need to do is to shoot him and email with the dates that you would be in the DR and he would try to arange a tour that either he, or his factory manager would take you on. He said his email is on the LFD website. He told me that he gets visiters a few times a month at his factory (which is in Santiago's free trade zone).

So, shoot him an email.

It's awesome that Litto is that accessible. That would be a great tour to take; Litto makes some fine smokes. :love: