• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Whisker's Blake

cigardawg

OK, this is a good one. Rated 94 by Wine Spectator. Price points are out of this world ($12-18 a bottle depending on where you find it).

It is lighter than many of the Portuguese tawny ports. It has a nose of caramel and oak and just hints of nutmeg. The feel of the port in the mouth is fantastic, smooth and creamy. It is light, with complex flavors of the aforementioned caramel, oak, nutmeg, and a touch of vanilla. I've heard some describe cinnamon, but I just don't detect it in this particular port.

It compliments sharp cheeses very well and goes especially well with an Ashton VSG or similar cigar. Maduros don't seem to be a great match for it.

This is one of my absolute favorite Southeastern Australian ports. Enjoy it if you find it.

Oh baby, I love that Tawny! I purchased a couple of them last year at $9 a bottle :thumbs: . Good stuff, for the money I would highly recommended this one as well.

:cool:

Hello all,

I've been researching for decent price great PORTS, seen this one recommended several places. No one in my "STATE-Controlled" liquor market carries it.

Any on-line recommendations to purchase this Port or others?

TIA

Whiskers Blake is a tawny port if I remember correctly and can usually be found here for a decent price. Nice tawny port :thumbs:, I think I still have one in the cellar.

Thanks for the help NorCalCigarLover, I called BEVMO, they only ship to a couple nearby states. Weird?? HiTimeWine though has it for the same price. And will ship to PA but only 2nd day or one day air, this time of year, the cost to ship exceeds the price of the bottle,which makes it kind of ridiculous. So I'm pressuring my local communist STATE STORE to order some in for me. Guess I'll give it a little time and see.

Thanks again,

You have to find a better salesman. Go to a State store and ask them to order #011429 HARDY'S WHISKERS BLAKE PORT NV $14.99. The will have to get it from another county as there isn't any in York or Adams.

BrewMeister said:
Hello all,

I've been researching for decent price great PORTS, seen this one recommended several places. No one in my "STATE-Controlled" liquor market carries it.

Any on-line recommendations to purchase this Port or others?

TIA
[snapback]210677[/snapback]​

DANG AVB, you have the inside info on the 011429...you musted be tapped into the state liquor control board system?

I've found a better salesman by the name of Keller, some sort of regional manager. They are working to transfer some from the Lancaster store to the Gettysburg store, as a special "favor".

Favor hell, that's their job. Only if the transfer is over 100 miles are you supposed to pay extra shipping.

BrewMeister said:
DANG AVB, you have the inside info on the 011429...you musted be tapped into the state liquor control board system?

I've found a better salesman by the name of Keller, some sort of regional manager. They are working to transfer some from the Lancaster store to the Gettysburg store, as a special "favor".
[snapback]210744[/snapback]​

Well thats the way I felt, AVB. They claim there is a new system, and specialty items can only be transferred to specialty stores, otherwise I have to pay shipping and
209038.gif
Oh they were very specific, this is a one-time deal just as a favor and they can't guarantee it will show up :rolleyes:

Well I give it a day or two and see what happens.

AVB said:
Favor hell, that's their job. Only if the transfer is over 100 miles are you supposed to pay extra shipping.

BrewMeister said:

[snapback]210744[/snapback]​
[snapback]210745[/snapback]​

A quote from the PLCB:
"Specialty" products have limited availability and are strategically located in many of our Premium Collection Stores. To purchase a Specialty item, contact any Pennsylvania Wine & Spirits Store.

You still have to find a better salesman.

Amazing!! Since I like port and this sounded like a good deal, it gave me the impetus to try a Google search for Utah State Liquor stores. Lo and behold, I found a complete price and availablility list!!! And this port is supposed to be available at a store near me at $13.95!! Guess where I'm going tomorrow....

As an aside they list a bottle of Seppelt Tawny Port 1896 for $1800.00.....my eyes almost fell out of my head.... :0

Just a follow-up on the Hardy Whiskers Tawny PORT...

I finally received my bottle from the State Store, and it was every bit as good as you folks described.

I since then ordered six bottles from HiTime, they agreed to ship it to me via FedEx ground, (Why FEDEX Ground service? Because they deliver west to east coast within the week, i.e., if they ship on Monday I'll have it by Friday. Whereas UPS, would deliver a few days later on Tuesday or Wednesday) and it came out to about $14.50 a bottle after shipping. Since then I asked them to ship me a full case and bill the shipping to my FEDEX account ( I get a fairly decent discount off of list price shipping), effectively dropping my cost to less than $13.00 a bottle. Should have the second case by Friday!

Good stuff!
s_o.gif

Thanks all for the help.

I just happened upon this last week and love it! You really can't beat it for the price. The funny thing is - it was originally purchased to add a little flavor to the Beef Wellington we were making! :D

I think another bottle is definitely in order!

Chad

Whiskers Blake Australian Tawny is my favorite tawny port. I'll drink it with any cigar. I'm not choosey. :)

Herfin Bigdog said:
Whiskers Blake Australian Tawny is my favorite tawny port. I'll drink it with any cigar. I'm not choosey. :)
[snapback]266822[/snapback]​

Yepper Bryan its good stuff, and the more I drink it, the more I like it... also found a better price at another place that will ship to me. $10.95 a bottle + shipping. A good deal...IMO. :)

Yup, we finished off a bottle with a few friends and some great smokes the other night! I do need to pick up a few more.