• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Whiskies of the World 2007

NorCalCigarLover

The Wine Guy

My wife surprised me with an early Birthday present, two tickets to this years Whiskies of the World Expo in San Francisco, a Dram Club membership and a nights stay at a swanky hotel. It's probably a good idea to stay the night after this tasting. Anybody else ever attend one of these events?

:cool:

WOW has always been in 'Frisco. Whiskey Live in New York I've been to before and if that is any indication you'll be getting in on my next Scotch buy :0

Nice gift! :thumbs:
I've been meaning to get to the one in NY, but always seem to miss it.

I'll be there. I attended the SMWSA (http://www.smwsa.com) tasting event recently in Santa Monica, CA (Los Angeles area). It was fantastic. Lots of distilleries represented and I easily drank more than the ticket value in top shelf Scotch.

I have reliably been told that WoW is much better than SMWSA. The food, if anything like SMWSA, should be great. I have been told that it is even better than the food at SMWSA event.

4 1/2 hours of lots and lots of high dollar Scotch. Even if you spit (no joke), it should be a liver killer.

WOOHOO!! WOW is coming up this weekend and I'm getting ready. In the literature they sent us they recommend drinking plenty of water a few days before the event. They also recommend some herbal concoction to prepare the 'ol liver for the event. There's even a dress code for this event, coat or tie, which is going to put a damper on my usual Aloha shirt attire.

Hey badhangover, I don't know what you look like but if you see me say hello, check out my webpage for a picture of yourstruly. I'll also be the one with a cigar in his shirt pocket.

Now that! was a fun weekend. The misses and I spent most of the weekend in The City. We stayed at the Warwick Regis Hotel which was built in 1913 and only two blocks from Union Square. Nice little place with a staff that really took care of us, I would recommend this place to anyone.

The weather in San Francisco was beautiful Saturday and Sunday while we were there so we walked from our hotel to the Palace Hotel where the event was being held. I love the buzz of The City and people watching, nothing compared to San Jose. I was actually quite surprised at the number of art galleries and places selling cigars on Geary St., almost ended up bringing home another piece of art from the Vargas gallery. The Palace Hotel was gorgeous inside!

I knew we were in the right place when I saw all the guys walking around in kilts. We arrived a little early so we had a chance to tour the hotel and all of its historic artifacts. Since we are Dram Club members we were allowed to enter the tasting event 1/2 an hour before the general public, this gave us a chance to taste through the entire Macallan and Highland Park lineup. We ended up spending a good 30-45 minutes talking shop to the rep at the table.

We finished our tasting at about 9:00 p.m., started at 5:00, and we were feeling great with a nice little buzz on. Having tried some great Scotch and having a much clearer picture of what our current Scotch taste profile is we took a cab back to our Hotel. The next morning we met a few folks in our Hotel who were suffering from the tasting event, not us, we headed off to act like tourists for the remainder of the morning.

My top three of the night, ranked in order:
1. Highland Park 18 yo Isle of Orkney Single Malt
2. The Balvenie 21 Port Wood
3. Highland Park 25 yo Isle of Orkney Single Malt

Some of my other favorites in no particular order:
Highland Park 'Beltramo's Sherry Cask'
Highland Park 30 yo Isle of Orkney Single Malt
The Macallan Cask Strength Distillary bottling
The Macallan Fine Oak 18 yo
The Balvenie 12 yo Double Wood
Talisker 175 anniverary Isle of Skye
Talisker 1992 Distillers Edition
Glenfiddich 18 yo Ancient Reserve
Glenfiddich 21 yo Gran Reserva (aged in rum casks)

Outstanding! Sounds like you had an incredible weekend brother! Congrats!

Sounds like a fantastic time!
I wish I could have been there...
Sooo I am a bit jealous of you! :p
Were there any drams that you hated or disliked?

-Rob

Sounds like I'll have to put a non-US Highland Park in my next scotch buy :p

Color me jealous; this sounds like great fun! Someday when my disposable income is higher than it is just now I must buy an older Highland Park. I love the 12 year old; it's a nice balance between highland and island whiskies, and one of my favorites. I imagine a 25 or 30 must be amazing!