• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Who here favors Torpedos...

Dan66

Just curious is all. I grab a torpedo if no other shape is available (in the selection I desire), but I don't aim for them on purpose. Others I know smoke nothing but the torpedo shape. Is there a reason? What's the appeal?

It's easier to play Monica and Bill with a torp. :sign:

Doc.

Torp’s are harder to roll so typically the better cigar rollers make them. Thus consistency and quality are better.

Oh, fer cryin' out loud! :p

I do appreciate the one serious answer I got though! Makes a lot of sense...

some of the best cigars I smoke are torpedos but I do tend to smoke the good stuff.

i like cutting the tip at an angle, about 45 degrees. that way the draw come right to the top of my tongue instead of the back of my mouth. i think i got that tip from someone here way back when.

i like cutting the tip at an angle, about 45 degrees. that way the draw come right to the top of my tongue instead of the back of my mouth. i think i got that tip from someone here way back when.
VEry interesting. I too tend to gravitate towards torps, but that's just because they're smaller at the end than a robusto or something and it's more comfortable in my mouth.

I think it's referred to the Dick cut.

Yep, found it:

CP Dick Cut

I think it's referred to the Dick cut.

Yep, found it:

CP Dick Cut

Now, who came up with the name "Dick cut" to snip the tip of a torpedo shaped cigar. Is it just me or does this sound like a setup for a circumcision joke? I am going back to Robustos just in case.

Never let it be said that AngryFish used the "Dick cut" on a cigar.

Fish

I like them because you cat tailor the cut to meet your perfect ratio of draw to smoke concentration. Plus, they have plenty of room to re-cut if the draw is too tight.

I've heard the 'better quality' thing, but never noticed much of a difference.

In some cases, the torp of a line uses a better blend - but not always. It really depends on the particular line for me. But I do know that in some cases the blend in the torp is better on purpose such as the La Aurora Cien Anos(actually called a belicoso but it's the same idea). But with some lines the corona is better than the other vitolas. The La Aurora Maduro #4 is clearly(IMO) better than any of the other vitolas of that line, including the torp. Sometimes the churchill is best because a blend needs the extra time for the flavor to develop. CAO Black comes to mind. So for me it's all about which gives me the most pleasure and the actual shape has little value outside of that.

torp ??? corona
robusto ??? belicoso
churchill ??? petite corona

Generally speaking I prefer long, thin to medium gauge smokes, but I do like some torpedos/figurados...

VSG Torpedo
Peterson Belicoso
Davidoff Diademas
Davidoff Special <<B>>
PAM Torpedo