• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Why Am I Not Impressed With OpusX?

J-Rod

So, I've now had three different Opus X cigars, and I feel that they are very underwhelming. Over the past 2 months or so, I've noticed my tastes for anything Arturo Fuente have dwindled, but I had still held out hope for this highly touted line. Perhaps it is just Dominican tobacco that I'm not fond of?

Opus X cigars are definitely strong, and I definitely need to be sitting while I smoke it, but it seems like the flavor is very lacking. Is there something wrong with my palate? Is there anyone else who doesn't seem to be drawn to this illustrious cigar? Is there something I am missing, or not looking for when it comes to these cigars?

Thanks for any insight!

I think the saying "smoke what you like" goes for high end cigars just as much as yard gars. Personally, I don't smoke a lot of the Cuban Cohibas. I wasn't impressed with the Maduros and I find most of the Siglo line one dimensional but enjoyable. Some think they are the be all end all. And for them they are. It is all relative. Personally, I'd consider myself lucky if I were you. That's more money saved for other cigars!

I like Fuentes and CC Cohibas so I don't mind spending the money on them. I would not spend money on high-dollar smokes if I had to force myself to enjoy them.

There are many great Nicaraguan and ISOMs you can overpay for if Opus isn't your thing. :D

Something wrong with u! Lol jk, I wouldn't give up on them so fast. I personly love them! But the first few I had I didn like at all. So smoke a few more before u toss them.

I kinda go in and out on my opus love. Sometimes I'm a big fan, other times I can do without them... which is probably the worst cause I never know what part of the "wave" of bipolarness I'm in when I light one up hahaha.
Chris

I'm not a huge opus fan either; however, anejos and Hemi Maddies I'll always jump on.

For a long time I much preferred Anejo, WOAM, etc. Now I would take an Opus over most other cigars.

I really didn't like Opus X either when I started smoking. I later found that with age, they are much much better.

I'm big on the Opus, love them. I can't get enough. But hold on to what you have you might find in a couple months you change your mind.

Is it me or does anyone else think the most recent batches of opus aren't holding up to the name? Seems like anything fresh outta the box since last summer is missing something.

I liked them a lot more when I started smoking, but I think there is pretty common acceptance that they aren't as good as they used to be for whatever reason. Like Nate said, smoke what you like (and if you are lucky you will like cheap dog rockets).

I smoked a couple Anejos before ever getting my hands on an Opus and I loved them. After trying a Opus, Anejos have never had the same appeal to me. I have dozens of Anejos I couldn't care much for, whenever possible I trade for Opus or other favorites. :laugh:

You're not alone. I've tried one (just one) and didn't get what the big deal was either. I think I actually marked it down on my 'bad cigars' list.

When do you guys think they started going down hill?

For a long time I much preferred Anejo, WOAM, etc. Now I would take an Opus over most other cigars.

Welcome to the "real" dark side.

Now as for the OP. Opus X isn't the end all, be all cigar. Some people love them and some people hate them. I'm in the love them category. Several reasons I enjoy them.
The construction is great. I love the taste profile of the Opus X. They generally burn pretty even. Their is always exceptions with burning. Being able to travel long distances
like the time I went from Chicago to Moscow, Russia. I went like 7k miles one way from my home to Moscow. The cigars held up to such a long trip.

More people that do not enjoy Opus X is better for me. Less competition.

So in short...your taste is fine. In a couple of years you may grow to appreciate all that is Opus X. A aged Opus X is still a tasty smoke. But don't be a kool aid drinker. Smoke what
you enjoy and be proud. I bet you could give me a list of 20 different cigars and I would probably say 75% of them is dog rockets. Its all about PERSONAL preferences. I've smoked
some of the foulest cigars to ever be released and not ashamed to have written several reviews so that CP'ers could get one hell of a laugh. Always remember to smoke what you
enjoy and never let anyone tell you differently. :)

I liked them a lot more when I started smoking, but I think there is pretty common acceptance that they aren't as good as they used to be for whatever reason. Like Nate said, smoke what you like (and if you are lucky you will like cheap dog rockets).

I agree that the ones rolled before 2006/2007 time frame they are outstanding.

My personal theory about when the Opus X started to tumble was back in 2007. In fact, I have rarely purchased any of the common Opus X since 2008. That is how disappointed I am with the common line. But even the CFCF cigars have started to go down hill. I have my ideas why this is the case and I'm sure Phil does too. I am still a pretty loyal fan of Opus X and after this years run of the CFCF box, I maybe switch gears and start picking up Padrons. Of course some other brands as well. I just won't be concentrating all my purchases as CFCF boxes.

You're not alone. I've tried one (just one) and didn't get what the big deal was either. I think I actually marked it down on my 'bad cigars' list.

Still can't believe I shook your hand after that!!!

Good, screw you guys. More for me and Peat.

I agree that the ones rolled before 2006/2007 time frame they are outstanding.

My personal theory about when the Opus X started to tumble was back in 2007. In fact, I have rarely purchased any of the common Opus X since 2008. That is how disappointed I am with the common line. But even the CFCF cigars have started to go down hill. I have my ideas why this is the case and I'm sure Phil does too. I am still a pretty loyal fan of Opus X and after this years run of the CFCF box, I maybe switch gears and start picking up Padrons. Of course some other brands as well. I just won't be concentrating all my purchases as CFCF boxes.

Thanks for the info Loren and just to add I agree with your assessment. The last Opus I've had have been from early 2007, and these were still quality smokes. Looks like I got on the train at the last minute!

When I went on my honeymoon to Jamaica (I flew the long way, heading west southwest in a long spiral to get there), I had an Opus in my sock (cello on of course), and it held up well. That's probably why you don't like them.