• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

why are they so expensive

unkind

Reaction score
so, my last post didn't get much response to my question.. so I will try one more time with a short question.

Why, in Canada are Cubans almost triple in price comparable to U.S.?

is it mainly to due with stupid laws and taxes, or does Cuba hate Canada? :( lol...

I didn't know they had Cubans in America, what state are you in?

The reason tobacco prices are so high up here in Canada is that our goverment thought it would be a good idea to raise the tax on tobacco to 120% or something like that. Their reason is that they thought it would help prevent smokers from buying more, really just made it harder for guys like me to fill my humi.

I'm not specifically sure as to their tax rates, however it is my understanding that Canada is fairly lax on smoking and drinking laws as you only have to be 18-19 depending on what part of Canada your in. I do know from personal experience that part of the mark up depends on where you are, I have been to three dif. places in Canada. Two were very touristy and very expensive for Cubans. The less touristy place i was in, still did not have Cubans at msrp, but they weren't much over. So I would venture to assume that alot of it would be tourist markup. I have also noticed that you have to be careful as there seem to be many fake Cubans in Canada. All in all I agree $35 is too much for a Montecristo #2

What killed me about Canada and cigar prices was not so much the price of Cuban cigars as the price of non Cubans. In Toronto I saw the largest Padron 64 going for $100! Don't know if thats the normal price for those up there though. The Cohibha Siglo six was $57. Taxes gone crazy, might as well go all the way and make tobacco illegal.

What killed me about Canada and cigar prices was not so much the price of Cuban cigars as the price of non Cubans. In Toronto I saw the largest Padron 64 going for $100! Don't know if thats the normal price for those up there though. The Cohibha Siglo six was $57. Taxes gone crazy, might as well go all the way and make tobacco illegal.

Yeah it's getting bad up here.

If I remember correctly, the wholesale tax on cigars in Canada is 150%. It doesn't matter if the cigars are Cuban or not. I believe the price of a pack of cigarettes is about 8-10 bucks.

ahhh, okay cool thanks for the response guys! :) I kinda figured it had to do with the gov taxes and duty...sigh...

I hate seeing how most of you guys can buy such nice cigars for the prices you get em for...oh well, I guess I will have to venture down to the B&M's you guys get your fancy smokes from :D

ahhh, okay cool thanks for the response guys! :) I kinda figured it had to do with the gov taxes and duty...sigh...

I hate seeing how most of you guys can buy such nice cigars for the prices you get em for...oh well, I guess I will have to venture down to the B&M's you guys get your fancy smokes from :D

If you are talking about non Cubans then yes, definitely. But you do know there is an embargo against Cuba here in the U.S right? ??? Your post has me wondering. Order those online, it works out especially nice for you since it will be totally legal. And far, far, far cheaper. :thumbs:

-mark

If I remember correctly, the wholesale tax on cigars in Canada is 150%. It doesn't matter if the cigars are Cuban or not. I believe the price of a pack of cigarettes is about 8-10 bucks.

My wife smokes cigarettes and when we were in Canada a couple years ago she did pay something like 8-10 dollars. You get 25 cigarettes though in a pack if I remember correctly. Weird brands though, and didn't taste all that great compared to American cigarettes.

I also found it absolutely impossible to find a descent bottle of wine up there. They have the State run liquor stores with a horrible selection and the beer store with only beer. The grocery store had a small wine shop but the wine came from the Niagara Falls area and sucked big time. But maybe I just didn't know were to go, it's not like the U.S. with liquor stores on every corner, it seems only the government sells liquor or something.

Please correct my ignorance on these subjects if I am totally wrong.

My wife smokes cigarettes and when we were in Canada a couple years ago she did pay something like 8-10 dollars. You get 25 cigarettes though in a pack if I remember correctly. Weird brands though, and didn't taste all that great compared to American cigarettes.

I also found it absolutely impossible to find a descent bottle of wine up there. They have the State run liquor stores with a horrible selection and the beer store with only beer. The grocery store had a small wine shop but the wine came from the Niagara Falls area and sucked big time. But maybe I just didn't know were to go, it's not like the U.S. with liquor stores on every corner, it seems only the government sells liquor or something.

In Washington, the GOV sells any hard liquor. Wine, beer, etc. are sold in the grocery stores, but hard liquor is sold by the gov.

The problem with non-cuban cigars in Canada is that I don't think many of the manufacturers deal directly with Canadian B&Ms. That leaves them having to purchase them on the secondary market, or from a reseller.

The federal tax rate is around 100% with I believe a 5$ cap per cigar, and the provincial rates are generally around there except with no cap IIRC.

In Washington, the GOV sells any hard liquor. Wine, beer, etc. are sold in the grocery stores, but hard liquor is sold by the gov.

Really? That's really wierd. Do they have Canadian style government liquor stores or non Duty shops or something? Seems aweful unAmerican to me! :laugh: Are there no Liquor stores in Washington?

Everyone here, in Ont anyways, buys their smokes from the Indian reserves. $10 for 200 ciggs. Of course their not as good as name brands but they are cheaper. I'm glad I quit ciggs though, I fell better and it leaves more money for cigars.
I've been apprehensive, about ordering Cubans online even though I'm in Canada and can legally. I've heard a lot of times you end up paying the duty/taxes anyway. Can any other Canadians shed some lite on this?

Really? That's really wierd. Do they have Canadian style government liquor stores or non Duty shops or something? Seems aweful unAmerican to me! :laugh: Are there no Liquor stores in Washington?
Washington and Oregon have state run liquor stores, its like Costco with nothin but Liquor!! but the downside is they have real specific hours of operation and only one or two per town, (correct me if I'm wrong OR and WA BOTL's

Everyone here, in Ont anyways, buys their smokes from the Indian reserves. $10 for 200 ciggs. Of course their not as good as name brands but they are cheaper. I'm glad I quit ciggs though, I fell better and it leaves more money for cigars.
I've been apprehensive, about ordering Cubans online even though I'm in Canada and can legally. I've heard a lot of times you end up paying the duty/taxes anyway. Can any other Canadians shed some lite on this?

PM me and I can most likely answer any question you have about importing cigars to Canada. :thumbs:

I hope the embargo never ends. :D

Sometimes we don't know how good we have it until it's too late!

Washington and Oregon have state run liquor stores, its like Costco with nothin but Liquor!! but the downside is they have real specific hours of operation and only one or two per town, (correct me if I'm wrong OR and WA BOTL's

Very true, unless you're in a larger town, you may have 5-7 of them. Their hours are usually 11-7, and have an 'ok' selection, as long as you don't want anything too high end in specific liquors.(God help you if you want a high end Vodka.) They're about the size of a 7-11 (Their hours backwards, interesting..heh), with nothing but liquor.

To answer the above question, nope, no private liquor stores here, they're illegal to open. Doesn't seem like a free market to me, but Washington has always been a little commie, hehe.