• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

"Why do people smoke $20 cigars?"

cohibasurfer said:
Because that's how much they cost. If I got them for $18 ... then they would only be a measly $18 cigar ... now wouldn't they.

:sign:
[snapback]199877[/snapback]​

:laugh: Always the wise guy..

Good to see you back around Michael! :cool:

Usually when I spend that kind of money on a cigar I'm looking for a special smoking experience. But I have found out like many others that $20 does not mean you will find the special smoke you were looking for. I have tossed a few $20 smokes due to lack of interest, bad taste, no taste, poor quality etc.
I then happily return to my Avo signature and all is right with the world.

Short verison - A cigar is an experience, and you can't limit yourself by price. Availabilty is the true limit to overcome! ;) :laugh:

emodx said:
Ask her how much her make-up and perfume costs after you tell he you are smoking a $30 cigar. But makesure you are at least 10 feet away as she'll go for the nearest heavy object she can find.
[snapback]199863[/snapback]​

Damn good defense man! :thumbs:

MilesMingusMonk said:
cohibasurfer said:
Because that's how much they cost. If I got them for $18 ... then they would only be a measly $18 cigar ... now wouldn't they.

:laugh: Always the wise guy..

Good to see you back around Michael! :cool:
[snapback]199889[/snapback]​

Thanks for noticing Cpt. Kirk!

Small weekend break ... I'll be back to coaching for two more weeks. Then .... the "DOG" will be back sniffin' around again! :rolleyes:

I was wondering about the first Cohiba Robusto I had, is it really worth it? In its case, I'm sure construction is consistent, so you get what you pay for. I also think some cigars are priced that high only to create a certain image of luxury and quality. I can just as well smoke a RASS... :whistling:

$20+ smokes are there for luxury, and to keep you guessing. Once youve had one you want more but like most people here you cant afford them all the time so you spend countless days weeks and years trying to find a $5 smoke that will taste like youre $20 smoke.Not that all $5 smokes arent good but if they made $5 smokes that tasted like $20 smokes the cigar companies wouldnt make any money.

$20 cigar--$20
$5 cigar--$5
finding a $5 cigar that tastes and burns like a $20 cigar----priceless

generally there is a quality issues...20 dollar smokes tend to burn better, and make the smoking experience more enjoyable...my tastes are not yet as refined to notice that big of a difference between a 20 dollar smoke and a 5 dollar smoke.

also, people like to smoke expensive sticks so they can come on here and say they did...

For me, cigars are a hobby. I smoke them for the experience, to endulge my senses in as varied a way as possible. This includes the occasional $20.00 smoke, $30.00 smoke, whatever I have in my budget at the time. I personally can enjoy $5-10 sticks, but a well chosen high quality cigar, $20-30 coupled with a great bourbon can turn a good evening into something to remember.

OutlawD said:
Not that all $5 smokes arent good but if they made $5 smokes that tasted like $20 smokes the cigar companies wouldnt make any money.

Not necessarily....that's what MARKETING is for!

I don't know of any $5 cigars that are better than every single $20 cigar out there, but I do know of some $5 cigars that are better than MOST $15-20 cigars out there.

It's cool to know when you are enjoying the absolute best. That's when high end cigars come into play.

You know $20 cigars a nice but I dont feel like I'm smoking anywhere near the best. When there are cigars like Cohiba 30th Aniversary that go for thousands what is a $20 cigar next to that!

If you dig around you will find a thread where I ranted about how ridiculous it is for there even to be a $100 cigar (partagas 150). I draw the line at around $25 but if someone wants to spend more than that, well more power to em.

I posted this before im sure but the 12 to 20 dollar range seems to cover what im usually looking for. Pam,pan,anejo,opus,vsg...etc..
My collection of 20+ cigars is just another cigar in the mix although it may be one that is not tossed in as much.

I noticed that once you get past 15 or 20 dollars the differance in quality becomes less. It is noticeable enough that it may make my day better or that after hours drink taste ohhh so much better.
Now the higher end may be an aged cigar and to an inexperianced pallet it seems to be just a weaker version of the cheaper cigar. Partaga is an excellant example. the limited and 150 taste alot like the regular partagas line but the subtle change that has occured is noticed and after a while all you want is the Limited line.

KayakinBoy said:
Short verison - A cigar is an experience, and you can't limit yourself by price. Availabilty is the true limit to overcome! ;) :laugh:

for me, a cigar is an hour of solitude...no kids, no wife, Friends and music. Can you really put a price on that?

$2 sticks are for mowing the lawn...

$20 bucks is the cost of admission to an evening of Paco de Lucia on my 5.1 Dolby surround sound mp3 hook-up on my porch.

You tell me? What do you blow $20 bucks on? Who does Powerball and never wins?
Who "Buys" water in those little sports bottles everyday? What about Seattle's Best Coffee and Starbucks?

A grande Mocha doesn't last as long as a RASS and doesn't tast as good either.

I have to stop now...I could go on fer ever....

Lumberg said:
OutlawD said:
Not that all $5 smokes arent good but if they made $5 smokes that tasted like $20 smokes the cigar companies wouldnt make any money.

Not necessarily....that's what MARKETING is for!

I don't know of any $5 cigars that are better than every single $20 cigar out there, but I do know of some $5 cigars that are better than MOST $15-20 cigars out there.

It's cool to know when you are enjoying the absolute best. That's when high end cigars come into play.
[snapback]200040[/snapback]​

La Flor De Cano tubos (ISOM)...cost less than $2.00 a stick. Way better than the DR TTT 444...Way better,

did I already say Way Better? oh... :whistling:

cohibasurfer said:

Who's this guy? Anyone know him?

Sometimes I'm just looking for an enjoyable smoke that lasts an hour. I'm not looking to have a higher experience just a really good tasty smoke. I occasionally do buy the odd expensive cigar so i can say i've tried one and compare it with others, but there is so much varity out there that I'm still finding wonderful experiences for way less than $20 a stick :0

"What is the difference between a $10 and a $2 cigar? Eight bucks." Lew Rothman

Maybe off topic, but I find lately that $20 will buy me a 1/2 pound of very good pipe tobacco that last me 1-2 months. That $20 sitck is gone in a hour. Now don't take this wrong as I still enjoy my cigars. Looking at the cost= reward factor has got me thinking.

why do people smoke $20 cigars? because they can afford them, which is why i don't. lol!