• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Why does negativity exist?

Lumberg

Opus Lover
What is the point?

The only explanation that I can come up with is that it is like the fire that burns within us to make us go and do things.

Other than that there is no real explanation for it whatsoever.

Any particular reason for this topic? Just curious to know...

Well, negativity in the literal sense is the karmatic balance to positivity. It's a relative relationship. Without one, you can not have the other.

:)

I am having trouble with my boss right now. It is a very negative situation and I am having negative thoughts about him.

As far as the balance thing I'm calling BS on that. There are an infinite number of things that don't exist, for which there are no opposites, and it doesn't make a difference.

Not really knowing any of the story...here's my thoughts:

A big clue to your boss's motivation is his use of "negativity." Personally, I find that no one ever expresses negativity in a positive manner, unless of course there's a sarcastic undertone to the topic. The guy is terribly insecure. By focusing on what's wrong with you, he's hoping that you'll be too preoccupied to decide that he's merely a larva in a business-suit. Chances are, this runs much deeper than the job at hand. He most certainly has bigger issues outside the job and because of this he's probably suffering more than you.

When something negative comes along, rather than reacting, engaging, or indulging in that negativity, consciously move your mind to something positive. For example, if you have a negative thought, replace it with a very positive one. In much the same way that your body needs to be worked out in order to become strong, your mind is like a muscle - you have to work it out in order to strengthen it! And eliminating negative thoughts and emotions from your mind is like physical exercise - it's a good habit to get into! Eventually, you will find that you feel better and happier throughout the day, because you will not be allowing yourself to be brought down by any negativity you may encounter. Then at the end of the day, you will discover that you have more energy for the evening. Zen Beast has spoken.LOL :D

TheBeast said:
...I find that no one ever expresses negativity in a positive manner...
I find that a 'criticisim' sammiched between 2 positives can be VERY effective. Especially in a teaching sense.

all hail Zen Beast!!
damn man, that was deep! a side of you
i've never seen. excellant advice IMHO.
what a better world if could we but follow it.
:)

TheBeast said:
Not really knowing any of the story...here's my thoughts:

A big clue to your boss's motivation is his use of "negativity." Personally, I find that no one ever expresses negativity in a positive manner, unless of course there's a sarcastic undertone to the topic. The guy is terribly insecure. By focusing on what's wrong with you, he's hoping that you'll be too preoccupied to decide that he's merely a larva in a business-suit. Chances are, this runs much deeper than the job at hand. He most certainly has bigger issues outside the job and because of this he's probably suffering more than you.

When something negative comes along, rather than reacting, engaging, or indulging in that negativity, consciously move your mind to something positive. For example, if you have a negative thought, replace it with a very positive one. In much the same way that your body needs to be worked out in order to become strong, your mind is like a muscle - you have to work it out in order to strengthen it! And eliminating negative thoughts and emotions from your mind is like physical exercise - it's a good habit to get into! Eventually, you will find that you feel better and happier throughout the day, because you will not be allowing yourself to be brought down by any negativity you may encounter. Then at the end of the day, you will discover that you have more energy for the evening. Zen Beast has spoken.LOL :D
Thanks for the advice.

One phrase in particular rings true:

he's probably suffering more than you.

I have been gathering that lately. He seems awkward when we run into each other or have to communicate. Frankly I think he knows that he's screwed up in dealing with me (because I am one of the brightest people here--not necessarily most hardworking but definitely brightest) and he's scared I'm going to leave him.

Oh well thanks for the kind words, I know I am now determined to pretty much show him up. Another convenient thing is that he JUST gave me a positive review before this all happened, and he thinks I slacked off because I have this raise sewn up. Well the joke's on him because I do have the raise sewn up and I don't care what he thinks. I would have gladly stayed if he had treated me right (and who knows he may come around) but if a couple months pass by and he's still being an ass I'm going to take my two consecutive outstanding ratings and move to another part of the organization. And if I do that you had better believe I'm going to have lots of motivation to really excel at my job even more than I have already done, just to show him what a mistake he made by alientaing me.

Is that negative motivation? Like I said those thoughts of negativity are like fuel for my fire. I use the motivation of distancing myself from negativity to achieve the goals in my life.