• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Why Fivers?

yanksfan

I often wondered why we do just about everything in the cigar world by fives. We buy, sell, and trade fivers. Bombs are often sent in fivers. Even buying samples from an online retailer is done in fives. Anyone have any ideas?

For buying reasons:

- 5 allows you to try one young, try another after a few months, and another after some good aging (the other two are for gifting or just to have a few more on hand if I like them)

- Not as expensive of a purchase if you are buying a cigar you haven't tried (in case you don't like it)

- Enough to last you a bit in case you do end up liking it a lot

For Trade/Bomb reasons:

- 5 fits nicely in a VCR sized USPS box :)

I think a lot of it is economics. A fiver is usually reasonably priced and easily stored. You don't need a cabinet humi or cooler to keep a few fivers around.

For trades, etc., as Wyatt mentioned, they fit in the box pretty well, but it's also usually a lower risk cost-wise. Fivers also make trading, etc., more accessible to more people. That adds to the fun!

It's a lot easier to jump on two $50 fivers, separated by a week, than to commit to one $100 ten pack.

:sign:

It's the only whole number that 25 is divisable by other than 1 and 25.

Until very recently, cigars were only available in 10, 25 or 50 packs. Five is the easy split for both the retailer and the trader.

I was going to say basically 20 and 25 are both divisible by 5. Common box counts?

I like to get a 5'er of cigars I have not tried before.
It allows me to have them over a longer period of time and get a much better sense of the blend.

As with many things it comes down to language, specifically Latin. This is not surprising since Latin America is the premier producer of fine cigars. Cigars, as we all know, are stored in very strict conditions, forthwith, in a humidor. Humility translated into Latin is humilitas from whence we get the word humidor. Having only five cigars, not twenty or twenty five, was the original number that cigars were packaged and distributed in. Times were hard and good tobacco was once scarce. Hence it was commonplace to have only five humble cigars stored together.

One for each of the guys in the foresome....and an extra for the ride to the club! :D

Oh yea....it's also goes into 25 well! ;)

For buying reasons:

- 5 allows you to try one young, try another after a few months, and another after some good aging (the other two are for gifting or just to have a few more on hand if I like them)

- Not as expensive of a purchase if you are buying a cigar you haven't tried (in case you don't like it)

For Trade/Bomb reasons:

It's the only whole number that 25 is divisable by other than 1 and 25.

Until very recently, cigars were only available in 10, 25 or 50 packs. Five is the easy split for both the retailer and the trader.

....these guys wrote my post for me... :laugh:

Biggest thing for me personally is if I really want to "try" a cigar, one won't do it. I want one to smoke out of the gate, but some to sit in the cabinet for a while, and to try over a couple of months. Unless I just love the smoke out of the gate in which case I can usually get more FedX'd in within four days....so I have enough to last.... :laugh:

Cheers - B.B.S.

For buying reasons:

For Trade/Bomb reasons:

Even buying a leather cigar carrier. buy a three finger....2 for you and one to gift out.

Mark