• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Why is this 9 month old sealed box too wet?

mcoupe

I opened my last box of Oliva V Maduro (no wrap on these boxes) and the cigars inside were pretty wet (spongy to touch) and I'm trying to figure out what could be the cause. This box was located at the bottom of my Aristocrat Mini and have been in there for 8-9 months. I had a couple of boxes on top of this with another opened V Maduro right on top. The last cigar I had from this open box was fine and all the other opened cigar boxes around them are fine as well. Temp and humidity are fine as I have the set and forget system set to 63% humidity confirmed by a calibrated hygrometer as well.

Can a sealed box hold humidity from when I bought it as they were wet when I first got them? Never had this problem with other boxes. I'm wondering if the opened box of V maduros directly on top thus covering it perfectly was a contributing factor.

On a side note, these cigars are smoking great now.

Thanks,
Larry

Maybe its too close to humidifying source? I know thats how it is w/ gel beads.

I have a single LFD III (yes, cello on)bought wet from a B&M in my humi that has taken 6 months to become un-squishy, but still not as firm as a properly humidified LFD III from a better B&M. I can see a closed box with all that added moisture taking a long time to dissipate, especially in a humidity controlled environment. First the wood has to come to stasis, then the actual smokes. A single 75% cigar takes a long time to get fully to 65% in a 65% chest, let alone the cedar of the box, then the cigars inside with apparently not much air movement. If they're smoking great, well, you know the answer, but if you want non-spongy cigars, just do it slowly. The only shock cigars like is the flame kissing their ass.

What Merkinmullet said. It does take a long time. I was once told that humidity will always be higher at the bottom of a humidor, if it has the right sort of circulation, etc. If true, you might have that as a factor.

If I purchase a box of cigars, I alway open it, check, and shortly thereafter smoke one to get a feel for what I
just spent my money on.

I learned a long time ago that putting even a handful new cigars, like a bomb, or purchase, into my smoke now humidor, could raise the humidity of the humidor. If I plan on smoking a new purchase relatively soon, and if I don't know the environment and moisture content, it goes into an in between sort of dry box (food container) with a calibrated hygrometer and 65% boveda. I sort of take what the hygrometer says as a guide, and determine how wet they might be. If the hygrometer stays at 65% for a few days, they go to the smoke now box.

I didn't think it would take that long but it seems to make sense. Never had a box unopened for that long. Thanks.

I have a single LFD III (yes, cello on)bought wet from a B&M in my humi that has taken 6 months to become un-squishy, but still not as firm as a properly humidified LFD III from a better B&M. I can see a closed box with all that added moisture taking a long time to dissipate, especially in a humidity controlled environment. First the wood has to come to stasis, then the actual smokes. A single 75% cigar takes a long time to get fully to 65% in a 65% chest, let alone the cedar of the box, then the cigars inside with apparently not much air movement. If they're smoking great, well, you know the answer, but if you want non-spongy cigars, just do it slowly. The only shock cigars like is the flame kissing their ass.