• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Why won't they leave my classic cartoons alone?

Sigh, I can’t watch the whole thing since I’m at work but editing classic cartoons? People shouldn’t mess with history.

This is one of them most asinine things I've heard in awhile. What possible difference could it make that a cartoon character smokes a cigarette or cigar in the occasional cartoon? It's ok to drop anvils on each others heads or hit some one with a frying pan though?? The violence will be the next thing edited out if this continues. This politically correct nonsense has gotten WAY out of hand now! :angry:

aye I read this in the paper this morning, according to the story it was just one person who complained.. and they "ban" it just because of that.

pah.

C'mon you had to know this was coming. They long ago edited out the violence in the Looney Toons cartoons (ie. Wabbit Season) and you no longer see Daffy Duck getting blasted in the face by Elmer Fudd's shotgun. Funny thin is that I thought about trying that with my brother after we saw that cartoon :sign:

This all boils down to proper parenting. My brother an I did not shoot each other with Dad's guns, drop anvils on our heads, whack each other with bats, run off cliffs, set dynamite booby traps, or start smoking because we saw it in the cartoons. Our parents made sure we understood what was appropriate, waht was dangerous and what was just plain silly/stupid and we just didn't do it.

Now parents plop their kids down in front of the video game or television, do nothign else, no education at home, no parenting, and then expect Junior to grow up fine. When little Junior shoots himself with a gun, steals a smoke, or whacks the next-door-neighbor kid with a bat to get his Pokemon Cards the parents blame the TV and video games. WTF! Get a clue people. Try parenting for a change. You would be surprised at the difference it makes.

It's not ok for Tom & Jerry or Fred and Barny to have a smoke, but it's ok for MTV to show jackass and some music vidios that would make me blush! I feel that censorship should be controled in YOUR house under YOUR rules, not our goverment. There are 400 channels on my Direct TV, if I don't like what my kids are watching, I TURN THE DAMN CHANNEL and block it! (goes for my wife too!)
I will now step down from my soapbox......

Oh heavens,we cant show our kids SMOKING!That would be terrible.Probably if they showed Tom and Jerry at a rave,high on ecstacy and humping a table leg or something,that would be fine.But something as dangerous as smoking?Never. :angry:

Yeah this is just terrible messing with the classics. Why don't we burn all the children's books that have anyone smoking in them as well?